Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zorlac

ACL reconstruction

After over a year playing hockey WITHOUT an acl (prior tear of autgraft 20 years ago) the pain and unstable conditions have forced a second surgery. I'm now almost 2 weeks post op with meniscus repair, and an ACl Allograft ( Patellar tendon BTB) I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience with rehab, return to play, confidence issues, etc.... I'm experiencing alot of anxiety due to the poor reconstruction I first received in 1992. My fingers are crossed, and I'm aggressively doing all exercises assigned by my PT.

Anyone have allograft experience?

Any issues during PT?

Are you able to play hockey with or without a brace?

How long before you returned to just SKATING?

THX,

Z...

Unfortunately I can't offer much advice, just interested in other replies. I had my left acl replacement in 1990 (football injury) and my right acl replaced in 1991 (skiing injury) so our knees are of the same "vintage" lol. I have cadaver replacements in both.

Similar to you, i played a year of football without one of my acl's. The surgeries were much more invasive back then, so hopefully your recovery will be quicker now.

I have to admit, my knees have been great, knock on wood. I have Donjoy Defiance braces, but don't really wear them anymore; sometimes for very hard skiing days, but that's all. Don't wear them for hockey since I can't fit shin pads over them.

Good luck with your recovery! Its all about the rehab, go as hard as you can!

Initial injury during army, Recon on right ACL, using patella tendon graft. Was very focused on rehab so that I could go back to playing sports.

Went back to playing soccer and hockey without a knee brace, but got tackled twice badly during Soccer that set me back. I then started down the journey of playing with a knee brace, and over the years have gotten another brace for my 'good' leg as it was starting to give problems.

I now only play soccer or hockey with my knee braces donjoy defiance and innovation c180. I've got kids and my wife and I are practically on our own so I can't afford to really have a long layoff

Stay focused on the PT and rehab. Make sure you do the necessary exercises for strength AND flexibility.

Good luck, send me a PM if you need some help and advice

I know what you mean, the layoff is killing me...both financially and spirit wise. Hopefully I'll be back to light work soon, but in the meantime, doing some research on the Donjoy Defiance knee brace. Seeing how I'm already over 4 grand in the hole, I don't see a 1000.00$ brace in the near future. I certainly can't go through a third ACL recon though....

And yes, my first was a petellar tendon autograft, this one is a patellar tendon allograft... Less morbidity DOES mean less initial recovery time, but longer for the graft to vascularize...

...I now only play soccer or hockey with my knee braces donjoy defiance and innovation c180. ...

What shin guards do you use? I prefer anatomical or tapered fit (without braces), but am thinking I should get a set to wear over my Donjoys.

I know what you mean, the layoff is killing me...both financially and spirit wise. Hopefully I'll be back to light work soon, but in the meantime, doing some research on the Donjoy Defiance knee brace. Seeing how I'm already over 4 grand in the hole, I don't see a 1000.00$ brace in the near future. ......

Your insurance may cover part or most of the cost. It helped in my case.

Yeah, I have United Health care, but a high deductible. I'm already in over my head so to speak..

I use Bauer APX shin pads. I've tried a few off the shelf braces, and by removing some of the liner on the APXs...they actually fit pretty well. My old CTI2 motocross brace is just too damn bulky. Gonna need something strong, yet "streamlined" for hockey.

What shin guards do you use? I prefer anatomical or tapered fit (without braces), but am thinking I should get a set to wear over my Donjoys.

I've used different shin guards with my knee braces, and tend to change the shin every 18 months or so depending on usage.

Bauer 1000

Mission NME Nine-1

Warrior Projekts

Jofa 9060

Jofa 9090

All of them except the bauers were modified in some way by myself. The Projekts were the most modified as I cut the non-removable liner in places to accomodate the knee brace. The Jofa 9060 didnt have a removable liner, but I used that 'stock'. It was the most protective, but felt very bulky.

With the Jofa 9090, I've removed the inner liner that came with the shins, and put in additional foam in the knee area as that part is not covered by the knee brace. Difficult to explain, but i might try and get some pics when i'm back home in about a month.

Jofa 9090? Are these even available anymore Wabbs? Trying to research a shin guard to accomodate the defiance3 brace. As I can only see pics of the brace online, may have to make appt at local brace shop to see one.

Do you guys really feel that a brace makes that much of a difference other than psychological? Because it's very tough to brace against internal torque, as opposed to lateral stability. My ACL was done in 1982 by the Rangers' guy (W.N. Scott) using an iliotibial repair (8" vertical frontal scar). At the time, Scott said it should be good for at least 10 or 12 years...still doing well. I found it less sensitive to skating than to any land sports and scrapped the brace for hockey long before everything else. While in rehab, Barry Beck, Pierre LaRouche, and Ron Greschner all came through. Back then, the worst part was breaking the scar tissue after a month of immobilization. It was so bad that I got myself a bottle of chloroform and had my friend do it for me at home about a half a dozen times while I was totally out cold instead of letting them do it to me in rehab (not joking).