Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MileHighJSC

? For ModSquadHockey Brain Trust. Please HELP!

Hi all, I am new to the forum, and this is my first post. I hope I am posting this in the right place. please let me know if its not and tell me where I sholud post it. I am needing to buy a new pair of skates, I live in the mountians of central Idaho, The closests Hockey store is a 3 hour drive for me. (The next closest store is 5 hours)Two weeks ago I made the drive and was able to try on Bauer X60, CCM U+12, CCM RBZ90, and eastonQE50. The choises were very limited. I have never had a new pair of skates, always hand me downs. I currently have a pair of 8.0r Easton Z air 03 or 04s, they are the silver ones. I have had them for 8 or nine years. They fit well but I have replaced the holders a few times and steel as well, rivits are coming out again and there are cracks and chips everywhere. They fit well enough I can play for 5+ hours without them hurting my feet. I play 1 to 2 times a week, Beer B/C league, and pond hockey. I would like if possable to buy skates made in canada if possable. I try to reward companys that keep maufacturing at home. But rhis is not a make or break deal for me, It would be great if possable.

Vapor X60 7.5d The skate felt good except for the widest part of my foot was being squeezed hard enough I was sure I could only play one game, and if a puck hit the side of my foot at the lowest two laces it would have really hurt. This skate seemed slim and sleek but seemed like the side protection was lacking a little.

CCM U+12 7.5d This skate fit good seemed like there might be some lace bight.

CCM RBZ90 Had to go down to a 7.0d in this skate to get the width correct, But then my first two toes were touching slightly more than just brushing the end.

EastonQE50 8.0d This Skate also fit well it just felt a little bigger and bulkyer than the others.

My problem is The skates I would really like to get I can not try on. So I am hoping you guys can hepl me out.

Here are the skates I would like to get

Graf ultra g3

Graf Ultra g35x

CCM U+ crazy light

The CCM U+12 and Easton QE50 and easton s17 are also options

Comfort is most important, then drability, As you read ubove Getting skates is really a big pain Because of where I live. I would really like these skates to last me 8 + years. Protection is next. I play Defence, and Take a puck every now and then.

So please rate these 6 skates from first to last for how you think they will fit me and serve my needs and give me any advice that you might have. Thank you guys very much, I really apprecate your time.

It's always hard to tell what exactly someone means when they describe a skate fit. My thought is that the RBZ will likely give a bit with baking and end up fitting well.

Plan a "trip" that just happens to coincide with being able to visit a hockey superstore or a full Graf retailer. I love my Grafs and recommend them, but at least the current (and older models) are made based on foot type. You'll need to try them on. I have limited selection where I'm from, and so I drive north to Qbc, or south or Bos to visit shops.

While I'd never buy skates online period, Graf is the one brand I'd absolutely never buy online given the range of fits they offer. If the Vapor pinched your forefoot you'd most likely be a candidate for the G35 series over the G3 series but again, I'd avoid buying skates online unless you know exactly what you're looking for.

It requres a credit card or an up-front investment, but some online stores offer free return shipping on skates. Even if you can't find free return shipping, order one or two of the pairs that you are looking for and send back the ones you don't like. I know it sounds a little extreme, but even if you have to pay return shipping, it sounds like that would still be cheaper than making the trek to the nearest retailer.

As a dealer I can tell you it is very difficult to get a correct fit without trying them on, unless you stay with the same brand and style.

There is no one foot scale that will size you into every skate, so you will need to try several brands.

All of them will be slightly different in length and width, even the Bauer supreme to the Vapor.

Out of the box the Grafs are one of the best made skates out there.

Graf is weeding away from many of the "traditional" skates and moving to the newer technology lines. I have the 5035 in an 85 flex and love them. They can take a slap shot well and are a comfortable fit.

If the Graf is truely what you would like and you don't have resources to get skates frequently, it's probably the best choice.

I would stay away from the Reebok brands, as they tend to break down quickly.