Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CTB

Mako 2 vs Bauer sticks question

Trying to decide on whether to purchase the Mako 2 as there's a good deal going on now.

My recent history with sticks:

- Last Easton I had was a S19, Roy/Gaborik pattern, 100 Flex. I felt the stick had a decent feel, good for shooting but I hated the curve.

- For the most part I'm a Bauer guy, in the past 2 years I've used an retail TotalOne (P88/102), Pro stock NXG (P92L clone/87), Pro stock APX (P92L clone/87), retail APX (P14/87 ), retail APX (P88/77), special edition APX (P92/102), retail Nexus 1000 (P88/102).

Out of all those I like the NXG the best for feel but overall performance has been a toss up between the pro stock APX and the retail P14 APX. So essentially the APX flex profile and P92 has seemed to work the best for me.

I know the different flex profiles between Easton and Bauer will certainly affect the performance, but for those that have played with both the APX and the Mako 2 what were the biggest differences you noticed? Given that my last Easton stick was a few model cycles ago and my general impression from the S19 was that it was a good stick if you're a big shooter (which I'm not) but it was only ok for other aspects, I'd appreciate any honest feedback you guys might have. I'm currently eyeing the Mako 2 Grip in P3/85 flex.

Trying to decide on whether to purchase the Mako 2 as there's a good deal going on now.

What is the good deal going on now? I think I saw an ad from HG for $200 for the Mako II grip, not exactly clearance but nice of someone to drop the Mako II to what a 2nd most recent stick of a specific line (since V9 was the update), ought to be. I did not like the Mako II blade as much as I liked the Warrior Dynasty AXT1 blade. However, the Mako II/V9 shafts feel lighter to me than any of the other recent/ top end shafts (Covert/ RBZ especially feel heavy), due to their balance profiles. I have not yet used the Mako II shaft.

What is the good deal going on now? I think I saw an ad from HG for $200 for the Mako II grip, not exactly clearance but nice of someone to drop the Mako II to what a 2nd most recent stick of a specific line (since V9 was the update), ought to be. I did not like the Mako II blade as much as I liked the Warrior Dynasty AXT1 blade. However, the Mako II/V9 shafts feel lighter to me than any of the other recent/ top end shafts (Covert/ RBZ especially feel heavy), due to their balance profiles. I have not yet used the Mako II shaft.

Total Hockey had a sale going on the 26th for their clearance/on sale sticks. I pulled the trigger on getting the Mako II OPS for 20% off (knocking the price down to $160).

Mako 2 is a great stick. More durable IMO than warrior or bauer. And if you shoot the hell out if it and end up breaking it within 30 days, they replace it with a V9. Both the V9 and Mako 2 have similar performance IMO so not as much an upgrade as an update.

I don't wear down sticks all that fast. My main thing is I get antsy and like to try something else out every 6 months or so. Out of all of those sticks I've used I think I've legitimately broken 1 or 2 of them. I tend to buy on clearance so sometimes I'll pick up a stick if it's on sale just to try it out (which is essentially what I'm doing with the Mako II) and if it I don't like I end up selling it off after a handful of uses.

you do you know the v9 was an upgrade from the mako right? easton isn't marketing it as that either but everyone thinks that. to me the v9 shoots completely different

I just used the Pro Stock Mako II shaft (with Warrior Dynasty AXT1 blade) the other night for a pretty long pickup session (2.25 hours). I am admittedly a bit of a bender, but I scored 8 goals that night (which is how many I score in about 2.5 months playing once per week). Four other guys on my team each had 3 or 4 goals, and I could tell that 2 guys were definitely letting up, but I kept pushing as these guys have obviously played for 30+ years each (one was 62 and could still play, the other was like 42), and I have played now for about 2 years total, 1.5 of those years coming 20 years ago). So yea, I just kept pushing, and the other team was definitely pushing as well, and the goalies sure were not lagging out.

I did have new skates and gloves too, and felt unreal on the skates (Mako as well). With the stick tho, it was like a magic rod; I cannot go top shelf backhand in practice/ warmups, but it felt so natural when I did this on a rebound for one of the goals, when the goalie was in butterfly sprawling out, kind of like in my dreams when I do 360 degree (basketball) dunks. The rest of the goals were just quick release forehands and some moving the puck forehand to backhand and ramming it through the goalie. Hard to say how much the stick made the difference, as I also had a new curve on there as well (Kovalchuk, after having come from Kopitar/Iginla); but it definitely felt like a faster release than my TotalOne tapered 87 flex. Now, if I could stock up on a few of these 85 flex Pro Stock Mako II shafts, then I will be a happy camper.

Really excited to try the stick out. I really like the set out of Bauers I've been using lately, the pro stock APX P92L and retail APX P14, but I'm interested in seeing how a stick where the most common reaction to it has been "really good pop off that blade" plays.

Finally got a chance to use the Mako on the ice today. The major feature that stood out for me was the blade. It was a crowded stick and puck session on a training rink so I didn't get too any chances to really rip shots but the few times I did I noticed that the puck jumps off the blade really true. In my experience with all those Bauers I've used in recent years the puck can sometimes wobble off the blade but the Mako really puts some zip on the biscuit. It also handles hard passes like a beaut.