Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MileHighJSC

CCM holder to boot alignment? New crazy lights.

Just bought a new pair of U+ crazy lights, pulled them out of the box and noticed that the holder on the right boot seemed further forward than the holder on the left boot. I measured them and the holder on the right is about 2.25mm or 3/32 further forward than where the holder on the left boot is set.

Has any one else seen this on new skates? Is this type of tolerance common on a pair of high end skates? Its hard to believe, because you can see 2.25 mm pretty easily.

Seems like it would affect the pivot point on the balls of your feet?

Do you guys think I should contact CCM? Thanks

I had the exact same issue with a pair of U+10's that I was looking at purchasing a while back. It appears that this may be a common QC issue and in my opinion it should be a warranty issue. My understanding is that CCM customer service is pretty good and would likely address this type of issue without much hassle. I have a buddy that got his Crazy Lights replaced outside the warranty period (16 months), due to an issue with the boot.

Since they're new, I would see what the retailer can do for you. If they have another pair in your size, ask for an exchange. I wouldn't settle for a remount of the holder because I don't believe the outcome would be satisfactory. You're messing with the integrity of the outsole because the new holes would be too close to the incorrectly drilled holes.

I agree with boo10. Don't use the skate if you can take them back to the retailer and get an exchange.

As he said if you do a remount the holes will become larger on the insole and may lead to problems locking the holder in place long term.

On the other hand if it was an online purchase and it will be difficult to return them. Take a photo and send it to the supplier and get permission to try the skate and a promise from them that if it effects performance that you can return them. You may find that 2mm may not be so critical on the ice. Some times the way our foot sits in each skate can lead to a tolerance far greater that this and you never even know.

This was the last pair of 7.5 from the dealer, I like the skates, but am a little hesitant to try them, does anyone else have experience with skating on a mis-mount like this? Or is it not a mis mount, and all skates are just mounted willy nilly? and your just as likely to have a perfectly mounted pair as what I am experiencing? let me know if you guys think I am just being a baby about this

I personally dont think I'd notice the difference in the mounting positions, but Im just a Sunday night beer leaguer that sometimes plays twice a week. That being said, if it's constantly on your mind and if it really bothers you then look into seeing what can be done. Nothing worse than paying good money for a product and then noticing inconsistencies in it.

Make sure that the outsole is not mis-mounted. Aka, the holders are in the same place, however the outsole on one skate is mounted slightly more forward. Seen it on Grafs before.

Zach

The holders on the U+12's I bought on closeout were like that. They were the last pair in my size, so I gave them a shot and couldn't tell the difference once I got on the ice.

Make sure that the outsole is not mis-mounted. Aka, the holders are in the same place, however the outsole on one skate is mounted slightly more forward. Seen it on Grafs before.

Zach

I was looking at that from the beginning the outsole is about 1mm different from boot to boot and the holder is about 2mm out.