Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bologna

Adding wooden extension (not for height, but for feel)

Boys,

I was thinking of adding a wooden extended to my Nexus 1000. The issue isn't with it's height, but merely the feel of it. I was wondering if anyone else has made a modification to the butt of their stick. The the vibration on that badboy is very high and I wanted to deaden it a little bit. Any help is great.

I cut off part of the shaft, then add a 3inch wood plug. I do it primarily to shift the balance of a stick, as I prefer the blade to be light. I do find that it does help reduce vibration, but also changes the flex profile slightly. I used to use a 6 inch plug to do this, as I found it would help me load up my shafts easier.

I would say it is worth a try, and you might enjoy it.

Zach

I cut off part of the shaft, then add a 3inch wood plug. I do it primarily to shift the balance of a stick, as I prefer the blade to be light. I do find that it does help reduce vibration, but also changes the flex profile slightly. I used to use a 6 inch plug to do this, as I found it would help me load up my shafts easier.

I would say it is worth a try, and you might enjoy it.

Zach

I do the same thing as Zach.

Started drilling a hole in the top of the Wood End Plug too just because I saw a bunch of NHLers do it. No idea if that has any impact on weight reduction but I do agree that a wood end plug dampens the vibration and changes the flex ever so slightly.

Started drilling a hole in the top of the Wood End Plug too just because I saw a bunch of NHLers do it. No idea if that has any impact on weight reduction but I do agree that a wood end plug dampens the vibration and changes the flex ever so slightly.

TPS used to do that on their sticks - it was drilled on the bottom through the tenon.

Never gave any thought to this... The idea of moving the center of balance slightly and improving feel (subjective) is appealing to me though. I always play with just a plastic plug to cap the end, and coming from wooden sticks when I was younger the light-weight shaft on a OPS in comparison to blade weight never felt 'right' to me.

What diameter hole do you guys go with through the extension? 3/16" (~4.75mm)? Or are we talking trial and error / personal preference here.

I would think drilling a hole would be counter productive to actually adding the extension. If it were me, I would add the plug, then drill it (trial and error like you said) until you find something comfortable.

Another thing that I didn't mention, is that I enjoy being able to contour the plug so it fits my top hand better.

Zach