Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Netminder32

The real victim of the Oilers goalie shuffle... Dubnyk, Scrivens, Mrs Scrivens?

The real victim is Scrivens. That Edmonton team is horrible defensively and until they finally address their blueline they will continue to draft early.

I didn't see it as a piece slamming Mrs. Scrivens. Didn't the piece end with a complimentary quotation of her final, dignified tweet about being excited to move to Ben's home territory after spending some time in her own home state? I suspect Ben somewhat overreacted after getting torched in his first start for the Oilers. Or maybe he took the comments more to heart, rather than the content of the article, itself.

On another note, while Jenny is being described as a ditzy beach bunny who won't be able to handle Canadian weather, she is anything but. She went to school in upstate New York and was a Division 1, Ivy League goaltender, herself. She's obviously smart, disciplined, and is accustomed to winter weather. If Edmonton becomes their long-term home, I think she'll do just fine and Edmonton will be lucky to have both of them.

The real victim is Scrivens. That Edmonton team is horrible defensively and until they finally address their blueline they will continue to draft early.

Setting aside the controversy about Jenny, the best tweet after Ben's first game in net for the Oilers was: "Folks, Ben Scrivens ain't in LA anymore. His 1.97 goals against should reach 3 or 4 by the Olympics."

I didn't see it as a piece slamming Mrs. Scrivens. Didn't the piece end with a complimentary quotation of her final, dignified tweet about being excited to move to Ben's home territory after spending some time in her own home state? I suspect Ben somewhat overreacted after getting torched in his first start for the Oilers. Or maybe he took the comments more to heart, rather than the content of the article, itself.

I think most anyone's frustration would come from a columnist trying to pass off the comments as sardonic, edgy wit. He's not as funny as he thinks he is. Those comments about Scrivens' wife come from vestigially lingering, outdated assumptions that anyone famous couldn't possibly have a spouse or significant other who is independently successful, especially if that spouse is a woman.

I don't think that's an over reaction to such a thing. You see it, you point it out, and you correct the wise-ass.

Even if it was intended to be funny, it comes off as petty and will make it harder for Scrivens to win the support of the fan base as a whole. It doesn't take much for some people to get a negative impression of someone that they have never met.

Even if it was intended to be funny, it comes off as petty and will make it harder for Scrivens to win the support of the fan base as a whole. It doesn't take much for some people to get a negative impression of someone that they have never met.

Vasquez-Peddie, the author of the column in question, responded with an assertion that he was trying to be funny.

"Petty" is reading that article and commenting below it about what a lazy gold digger you think that big shot NHL goalie's wife must be. Imagine reading this from the citizens of the city you have just been assigned to work in.

It's all fun and games to poke fun at the successful and famous, but they have lines that simply can't be crossed by ignorant strangers... just as you and I have. Publicly defending that line is a matter of responsibility to your loved ones... and a reminder of what we consider poor taste and off limits.

Vasquez-Peddie, the author of the column in question, responded with an assertion that he was trying to be funny.

"Petty" is reading that article and commenting below it about what a lazy gold digger you think that big shot NHL goalie's wife must be. Imagine reading this from the citizens of the city you have just been assigned to work in.

I agree, but the author is responsible for creating that environment and giving those people a forum for those comments. People used to think about the impact their words and stories would have. Now, they do whatever they want and refuse to admit/understand their role in creating a problem. The tough part about the written word is that people can't hear the tone of your voice or hearing you laugh about it. I know all about that, it has bitten me in the ass more than a few times.

I agree, but the author is responsible for creating that environment and giving those people a forum for those comments.

We must have misunderstood one anothers' posts. I'm not in disagreement with this and used it as the basis for my first comment in this thread. :laugh:

We must have misunderstood one anothers' posts. I'm not in disagreement with this and used it as the basis for my first comment in this thread. :laugh:

And I was using your comment as a launching point for another rant, it's all good. To steal from my earlier post, interpreting intentions and tone on the internet is difficult. :smile: