Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skates89

How To Make your Old Graf 705s Lighter

Finish Line is the product brand.

MThockeydad is right about the sodium hydroxide, you want to prevent aluminium oxide so it doesn't get to that point.

I really appreciate that. I need to be able to remove these without hacking them up..Thanks so much that is next

There is a reason why everything is so light today. Including sticks goaly pads etc. Reaction times and speed and less fatigue are highly achieved as a result of these differences. I dont care what age you are. You put a pair of these grafs on your feet playthe entire game and by the times the thrid comes and they start to get water logged there is no doubt in my mind you will not be nearly as quick and light footed as you are in a new apx2 skate. It is a scientific fact. You ever compare a new set of goaly pads to these old leather pads. OMG what a difference and when those old pads water logged forget it you could not move. No mystery why todays players are faster. nevertheless Ilove the low cut boot and the feel of the leather on my ankles. I am definitely much more crafty in these that any of these rock solid high cut boots and I dont have the money to buy a custom pair with flex points and a tpu outsole as id like installed on them..So the next step is to reduce weight so I can stay in these and so far so good. Im liking them a lot..Next as suggested Im gonna scallop a little more weight off the blades and they should be really good to go. They are now almost as light as my G7s

Its a scientific fact that no one in today's game, wearing their current gear is out-accelerating prime Pavel Bure wearing a pair of Megas from 1994 in period 1, 2 or 3. Maxim Afinogenov was one of the fastest, and quickest players in the NHL wearing Vapor 10s when everyone else had moved on to much lighter XXX and XXXX skates. You are talking about athletes that can squat 400+ pounds. The importance of skate weight is overblown, always has been. Foot fatigue in my experience stems from a bad fit, not weight.

OP, to put it in perspective, my intermediate length knit hockey socks (not rbk edge or equivalent) weigh 10 oz. or 284 grams. You said you probably saved 15-20 grams.

My socks weigh more than 10 times your estimated weight savings. Socks. 2. Pieces. Of. Cloth. Let that sink in.

I hate to break it to you but you've got a serious case of placebo effect. Also, if it hasn't been said before, I'm willing to bet your out soles are not as stiff anymore so not only did you not make your skates lighter, you're probably losing energy transfer which means you're actually working harder.

EDIT: Socks were not wet.

OP, to put it in perspective, my intermediate length knit hockey socks (not rbk edge or equivalent) weigh 10 oz. or 284 grams. You said you probably saved 15-20 grams.

My socks weigh more than 10 times your estimated weight savings. Socks. 2. Pieces. Of. Cloth. Let that sink in.

I hate to break it to you but you've got a serious case of placebo effect. Also, if it hasn't been said before, I'm willing to bet your out soles are not as stiff anymore so not only did you not make your skates lighter, you're probably losing energy transfer which means you're actually working harder.

EDIT: Socks were not wet.

No trust me there is no energy transfer loss..That steel blade across that runner holds it well and I like a litle flex. Thats why I only drilled a little inside the tuuk boot acros the bridge of the boot but Id have to say you might be right withthe pacebo affect ah hahahah to funny

I could not get them to post in new window dont know why but here are the results 75 grams each skate. Thats a quarter pound lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50102614@N05/12058136393/#

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50102614@N05/12057822725/#

These pics make me miss my 705's..

I love these skates also buddy. I cannot give them up for the life of me. You can get a nice set on ebay. I got a brand new in the box set for a 120 in the box never used. I guard them like a jewel lol The one on the scale with cobra runner is the new pair

Its a scientific fact that no one in today's game, wearing their current gear is out-accelerating prime Pavel Bure wearing a pair of Megas from 1994 in period 1, 2 or 3. Maxim Afinogenov was one of the fastest, and quickest players in the NHL wearing Vapor 10s when everyone else had moved on to much lighter XXX and XXXX skates. You are talking about athletes that can squat 400+ pounds. The importance of skate weight is overblown, always has been. Foot fatigue in my experience stems from a bad fit, not weight.

You make great sense and Im not pavel bure ah hahahahaha but again you make great sense. if i was squating 400 pounds im sure i could wear anything..but when you play recreationally once a week then youll feel it trust me

Still find it amazing that nobody has come close to Gartner's fastest lap in an ASG ever since.

But wasn't that skated when they pulled the nets out so the laps were more rounded in the corners? Only a few guys have gotten close to 14.0 since then. Still, I see your point, and it's valid: Gartner most certainly wasn't wearing light skates. Neither was Fedorov when he skated 13.525 or Niedermayer at 13.560.

Well its is good I got this out of my head and thanks for all the replies. Im hapy with them now and the placebo affect is working wonders. Ill just keep working out and skating strong. Thanks so much for all the input..I learned a lot here. PS the guy in the picture to my left is my buddy who plays in the KHL with spartek and played a few games lastyear for the bruins. We work out together in the summers and he is always looking to shave weight. Been playing a long long time..Weight definitely matters and gartner would have probably done better times in a pair of apx2s..He was just amazingly fast

Well its is good I got this out of my head and thanks for all the replies. Im hapy with them now and the placebo affect is working wonders. Ill just keep working out and skating strong. Thanks so much for all the input..I learned a lot here. PS the guy in the picture to my left is my buddy who plays in the KHL with spartek and played a few games lastyear for the bruins. We work out together in the summers and he is always looking to shave weight. Been playing a long long time..Weight definitely matters and gartner would have probably done better times in a pair of apx2s..He was just amazingly fast

Gartner was and still is a CCM guy.

If only we had better conditions to actually compare the fastest skater times by, same distance for one.

Gartner was and still is a CCM guy.

If only we had better conditions to actually compare the fastest skater times by, same distance for one.

That man was some skater boy and a great player. He got some serious deep knee bends going there in his stride. Perfect stride. Id say if anyone was similar in skatingt style today it would be Gaborik. Gabby reminds me of gartner and that is the one brand of skate I never got my feet into to often. Id probably have liked them more than the baurs I used for so many years the 3000 4000 and then the 7000 which killed my ankles with pain

Gartner was a bit rail-roadish, I think, but he had so many great qualities to his stride that he more than made up for that. No one today is quite that smooth. Grabner's close, but he kicks his heels up a bit. Maybe Kreider has the best stride in the game right now.

But, the real question is, has the average player speed increased over the years? If so, you can start looking at that, and wondering if it is the off ice training, or, better skate technology....

Zach

Edit: That was supposed to be in response to JR's last post...

But, the real question is, has the average player speed increased over the years? If so, you can start looking at that, and wondering if it is the off ice training, or, better skate technology....

Zach

Edit: That was supposed to be in response to JR's last post...

Well they say the players of today are bigger and faster than the players of the past. Nevertheless a case can be made for bure gartner shit maybe even orr ( that man had some long powerfull stride boy ) He ate up a lot of Ice with it, very deceptive and the think he did it on steel runners and flimsy leather

Well they say the players of today are bigger and faster than the players of the past. Nevertheless a case can be made for bure gartner shit maybe even orr ( that man had some long powerfull stride boy ) He ate up a lot of Ice with it, very deceptive and the think he did it on steel runners and flimsy leather

Orr was a beauty to watch. So was Kharlamov. There were times when he would be pulling away from someone with the puck and it looked like he was accelerating during his glide, which is of course impossible.