Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KiskiSnipes19

Helmet suggestions please!

I'm recovering from a recent concussion I sustained in my Easton S19 Z-Shock. I understand that you can get a concussion in any helmet, but I definitely saw this coming since the inside is almost just EPP foam. That being said, I'm on the market for a new helmet. I'm considering the Bauer Reakt, IMS 11/9.0, the Warrior Krown LTE (kind of looks like it has mostly EPP foams like the S19 though), or waiting for the Bauer Reakt 100. Suggestions/opinions? Greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Try them all on first and see what fits best. I like the concept behind the IMS helmets but I think they still have a revision or two left before they get it right.

FWIW, I love my Re-Akt. It's light and very comfortable. Thankfully, it's protection qualities have not been tested fully, but I don't regret spending the money on it so far.

I currently wear a Bauer Re-Akt and previously had a Cascade M11 Pro, the liner technology for which I think (just by looking at the photos) has been incorporated into Bauer's IMS helmet. I can't say which is better at preventing concussions (nor, it seems, could anyone else, at least not with any certainty), but I find the Re-Akt to be more comfortable for my head. After wearing the Cascade for a while it started giving me headaches - at first it would take an hour of wearing it before the headaches would come, and eventually my head hurt after only 5-10 minutes of wearing. I think this is mainly due to my head shape - the Cascade seemed to be squeezing the sides of my head.

That is my long-winded way of agreeing with Chadd - go with what fits.

Try them all on first and see what fits best. I like the concept behind the IMS helmets but I think they still have a revision or two left before they get it right.

I third.

The best helmet on the market is worthless if it does not fit right.

I am a strong believer in that whatever fits you best will be the one that protects you best.

I got a concussion while wearing a CCM V08, so I went out and bought a Cascade M11 (first rage of the "concussion-prevent-helper" helmets). It fit me okay, but not perfect. I had bad headaches after I took the helmet off. But I stuck with it longer than I should have because I thought it would protect me better than anything else on the market.

Then switched to an E700, which fits me perfectly. Thankfully I have not taken any big falls that would hurt me, but its been 2+ years and I am going strong.

Forgot to mention earlier, the other night one of our guys was charging to the net, pulled off, lost an edge and went into the wall behind the net (this was moments after we lost our goalie to a destroyed fingertip, blood all over, lost fingernail- what a game!).

From the bench it looked like he was knocked out for a few seconds at least. He hit his head pretty good and I had to help him off the ice. After a short sit he finished out the game, can't believe he did that, and went to the ER after the game with a concussion. I think he wears some kind of Mission helmet, but not sure exactly what it is. If I can find out I'll post back.

This. I went with the re-akt but you need the one that fits your head the best, that will protect you the most.

I wear a Bauer Re-AKT and the new Mission Inhaler. Both fit me nicely and are comfortable. I bought these both via internet because I was not sure when I would be headed to the LHS to get the right fit, and I gotta say I was super lucky.

I made it to HockeyMonkey in Irvine in Dec 2013, finally, and tried on every helmet. Easton E700, CCM V10, Warrior Crown and Reebok all had horrible pinches at the back of my head, like something was digging into my noggin, same place every one. It was odd. So, the point is, the shape of your head may limit the choices.

Beyond the right fit, hard to say which is most concussion resistant.

I had a Reebok 8K and swapped to the S19 Z-Shock like you did. Two concussions later, I laid a hit on someone much bigger than myself, and managed the pull the hit off flawlessly. BUT... my helmet felt pretty loose, and my trainer took a look and explained that the "snap back" function that serves as the only real sizing piece on the entire damn bucket, had sheared the left rivet and was unfixable.

Long story short, I wound up looking at what most of the players use in the NCAA league just because the level of play is elite. Most of the players use either the Re-Akt, the IMS 9.0, or the updated version of the Bauer 4500. I went with the 4500 and to be honest the thicker foam is absolutely wonderful, and super comfortable on the ice. I have also gotten laid out about 5-6 times pretty completely and the foam has ensured that my body is about the only thing that feels much of the damage. Plus I love the simple old school look...

I am a believer in the Cascade/Bauer M11/IMS 7.0. I got knocked down and landed squarely on the back of my head and while I didn't feel great, I was able to take the next shift. I didn't puke, and my bell wasn't rung.

I had the Bauer 4500 put to the test this weekend and it passed flawlessly. Ridiculous elbow to the head getting pinched in the offensive zone corner. Didnt feel a thing head wise.