Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

2014 Bauer Hockey Catalogue

You're 100% right, supply and demand... it's a business after all. I'm getting way off of what this thread is about as this could turn into an entirely new thread regarding the concussion scare, tested versus untested technology, scientific claims, company acquisitions, and on and on.

• Like 1

Why would they drop the price if they're selling well? That's the impression I'm getting. People are willing to spend more to get better protection and for many players, price is no longer a high concern. Parents and mens leaguers alike will often come up and straight up say they want the best protection.

I don't think it's crazy at all, considering top end sticks have been $300 for years and top end skates pushing $900. People are becoming more educated regarding concussions and head safety.

And JR's quote on pricing is bang-on.

I just hope one of the two shops in my area will carry it with that price point. I'd like to try it on and see if I like the fit. I have no problem with the $269 price tag, as I've always bought top end helmets for myself and my kid.

• Like 1

Colorways:

• They've altered their color scheme for 'BLU' : it will no longer be the same Royal Blue as before, slightly darker

Will this be more similar to the blue used by Vancouver?

I'm getting the impression that the original RE-AKT will remain at the $199.99 price point and not go down in price, correct?

Even the original RE-AKT's price point is a bit steep, but if it protects just as well as is claimed (and I'm not arguing against that), then it's worth it for the protection. Also, I think one reason the RE-AKT 100 is $60 more is because you can customize it and it's made in NY, not Thailand like some of their other models.

Who knows, maybe Easton's next helmet will still have the $299.99 price point like the R800 was going to have and maybe the CCM Resistance will surpass the $200 or even $300 mark as well. Like others have said, if the consumer will pay a premium for protection, they'll keep selling them at a premium.

The thing is, with helmets it is "perceived protection". Some consumers, rightly or wrongly, believe that overspending on helmets provides more protection against concussions. To me that is like paying extra for a thicker seatbelt on an airplane.

• Like 1

...and maybe the CCM Resistance will surpass the $200 or even $300 mark as well...

Pretty sure its going to be 269.99 as well

The thing is, with helmets it is "perceived protection". Some consumers, rightly or wrongly, believe that overspending on helmets provides more protection against concussions. To me that is like paying extra for a thicker seatbelt on an airplane.

Yeah, I know that no helmet, maybe no helmet ever will be able to provide absolute protection or even 80% or 90% protection, so I always look for scientific testing to prove safety, not just marketing hype. That's why I want to see what the CCM Resistance is all about considering Reebok-CCM has been working with the University of Ottawa to deal with rotational impacts. If Bauer showed evidence with more detail than in the past that their helmets are by far the safest, then I'll pay the premium, but without, it'll be tough to pay that much.

Pretty sure its going to be 269.99 as well

Great, just what I wanted to hear :sad:

Looking forward to how the new React helmet has changed for the better. Especially with the new front sweat band including the 37.5 material and the idea it will move the sweat to the sides. Excited. :)

Hi JR,

is there anything new coming in the Equipment Bag category?

I´ve been looking for a replacement for my Bauer " the cooler" hockey bag since a few years but nothing so far compares to it in my opinion.

Maybe theres something coming soon?

Thanks

They have their Premium Wheeled and Carry as well as Core Wheeled and Carry. Premium wheeled/carry Backpack styles and Premium Team and Core carry round out the full equipment bags.

Edited by AIREAYE

I typically don't put outerwear and bags in the catalogues because I try to keep them as small as possible.

But that being said, Bauer's bags are unchanged for 2014.

Am definitely going to be trying out the Bauer Supreme MX3. Very excited that they will be offering a top of the line skate in a junior sizing. Had my eye on the Supreme line for quote a while, but they only offered the One.9 in junior sizing. My other current skates have been Easton Makos (5.5D) and Bauer Vapor X7.0s (6.0D). The best fit was the Makos, but I am intrigued with finally being able to have the flexible tendon guard ( I enjoy this on my Makos) and the forward flex tongue. Hopefully a lhs near me will carry these so I can try them on before pulling the trigger.

I constantly am reminded of how good bauer is. Like I read the ccm article before this and was like oh wow I might like a few things in here, Bauer might not be as dominant this year....Then i read this article and just think about how they 1 up every brand every year

While the Vapor Pro Series gloves are - if I'm not mistaken - an SMU (and thus beyond the scope of this catalog), I hope they get green-lit again this spring. Love the all nylon shell, the simple palms, and the good overall protection without having to pay up for the APX Pros.

I constantly am reminded of how good bauer is. Like I read the ccm article before this and was like oh wow I might like a few things in here, Bauer might not be as dominant this year....Then i read this article and just think about how they 1 up every brand every year

Bauer makes quality gear, but I think that alot of their (perceived) "dominance" is due to their expertise in marketing. If one really looks into each product, then I think that one will find that there are certain things that they do better than anyone else (such as making stiff, super durable skates in their high end offerings, as in Vapor APX/APX 2 and Supreme NXG/MX3 skates). However, in each equipment item, I (and many others) have preference for other brands. Obviously, it is all personal preference, I know, but it seems like other companies have been a bit more innovative recently, and have thus come out with better offerings (like CCM Crazy Light/RBZ U+ Foam for pants/elbows shoulders; Bauer does not offer anything like the Mako skates in terms of comfort). Sure, Bauer is great, and if anyone wanted to give me a $2000 gift card to go shopping in Bauer, then I would gladly take it. However, I would prefer $1000 to go spend at Easton (Mako II skates), $500 to go to CCM/Reebok (RBZ elbows, shoulders; and 20K shins), and another $500 to go spend at Warrior (Covert sticks).

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/64196-2012-product-of-the-year-award-winners/

Not really a contribution to this thread as much as a thanks for all of you for the great contributions in experiences and opinions here on this forum. A lot of what I've read as a non-registered and now a registered user has been immensely helpful. I'm looking forward to refreshing some of my older gear this spring well in advance of next season, and the equipment threads have given me a lot to think about. I've generally been a "Bauer guy" when it comes to skates and some protective (I still wear my Supreme 5000 shin guards - the ones with the hinged kneeand my pair of Vapor 10's which replaced a stolen pair of 8's.)

For future questions I'll ask in the different forum wings, but I wanted to thank you all in this one for what you've added and helps shorten my learning curve a little bit, at least in terms of research and opinion.

• Like 4

Is it just me or do the 180 skates look much deeper than the 170s? I'm in a pair of One100s right now that fit great aside from a little lack of depth... I've been wanting to move to a skate that is not as stiff and had been thinking of moving to the one.7 although with the 170s already having the edge holder I'm giving these heavy consideration. I suppose the best thing is to wait, but I wear a size that most stores don't stock and would have to special order any way... does anyone have any insight into the depth of some of the mid/lower models of the Supreme line?

From my understanding, the depth is pretty standard across the line. I was fitted for an ordered in pair of one.7s by trying on a number of one.6s in different sizes. I think what you might be seeing making it look like the 180 is deeper is the wider piece of material used to hold the eyelets on that skate compared to the 170 - creates a sort of optical illusion almost.

Are the Custom IMS 7.0 and 11.0 still the only helmet combos that will be available with different size helmets and cages?

I take it the new Supreme line, specifically the MX3, will have the same fit as the current line. If I am a 7.5 EE in a Total One NXG, I'll be the same in an MX3......

I have an opportunity to order a pair through Bauer without getting to try on for size.........

I take it the new Supreme line, specifically the MX3, will have the same fit as the current line. If I am a 7.5 EE in a Total One NXG, I'll be the same in an MX3......

I have an opportunity to order a pair through Bauer without getting to try on for size.........

Hey me too! I'm looking to do 7.5 EE as well.