Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Souldriver

New Ice NYC

Glad this going to happen, it's been a long time coming. Learned to skate at the original Sky Rink in Mid-Town Manhattan but had to go to Rye Playland to play it was hard to do so it was mostly quad roller fro me in the 70's growing up in NYC.

Thanks for the link.

This was unveiled about a year ago but let's not get carried away.... the metrics as a business model just don't work and I doubt this will happen.

9 rinks and all that money in the Bronx where no one plays hockey? The Westchester kids can get there but thats not enough to make it pay off. NYC is not a hockey hotbed, the Long Island kids can't really get there either. Too far from New Jersey as well.

Something stinks on this one.

Apparently not otherwise he would have saw that it was approved in December and is a go. You wouldn't believe the number of friends I have that moved to NYC from CT and just don't play because the access/cost of ice is such an inconvenience. This will be a winner for hockey and for the bronx. Plus how do you know that no one in the bronx plays hockey, maybe they just didn't have access to it?

There are 9 rinks, that I'm sure can be used for many other things as well not just hockey. My friends work at a roller rink where many inner city kids come to skate not just on their own but for summer camps and many other events. Maybe the kids that come from the city to go roller skating will now have a year round place to go to for ice skating.

I'm going to add there is a movement to rejuvinate the Bronx with sports. Maybe kids arnt always going to the garden to see the Rangers of Knicks bc of travel and cost but the Yankees have been there for nearly a decade and have brought a winning tradition and pride to new Yorkers that really sticks with people and kids especially. When they built their new stadium they could have done anything with the old spot but they made it into a gorgeous park that rivals and beats many of the ones I have around me in suburbia.

To go from 0 to 9 is a huge increase, it will be interesting to see if it survives. I know that there were also a lot of hands in the pot on this one as well, One of the city council members was holding things up until his charity got $100k/year for 20 years or something like that as part of the deal.

To go from 0 to 9 is a huge increase, it will be interesting to see if it survives. I know that there were also a lot of hands in the pot on this one as well, One of the city council members was holding things up until his charity got $100k/year for 20 years or something like that as part of the deal.

and that's NY for ya! (unfortunately). need more examples: Lighthouse project

Well it's no really zero, there are a dozen or so rinks in the vicinity most w/ not enough ice time available.

Well it's no really zero, there are a dozen or so rinks in the vicinity most w/ not enough ice time available.

The problem for most rinks is that everyone wants their kids to practice between 5 and 8pm. Filling as many of the other 23 hours is the problem. 9 new sheets of ice is a ton of ice to sell.

9 rinks is a lot but I see the center one has some type of big stands around it. This could be used for events depending on how much it seats. You can also make a rink or two modular and make it more of a sports complex with roller, volleyball, basketball etc.

I know that Chelsea is expensive but even if it closed down thats still not enough to fill all those rinks in the Bronx. I think this is a boondoggle!!

But you still have Northern NJ, Westchester, Rockland, southern CT. It affects many different rinks.