Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MileHighJSC

S17 Skate ankle volume ?

Definitely low, I have skinny ankles and its one of the few skated that wraps my foot tightly on top (I pronate a bit so a tight wrap is important for me). My rs on other hand I had trouble with high ankle volume, that's why i got rid of them.

And this is exactly why you must try on skates for yourself. :)

Medium-high.

Definitely low, I have skinny ankles and its one of the few skated that wraps my foot tightly on top (I pronate a bit so a tight wrap is important for me). My rs on other hand I had trouble with high ankle volume, that's why i got rid of them.

And this is exactly why you must try on skates for yourself. :)

Yuuuuuuuuuup. Which I've told this guy to do.

I get it guys TRY ON SKATES, TRY ON SKATES God damn Broken record. Its a little hard to try on a skate that is at one store in canada, I guess you guys think I'm a retard, I would try them on if it was possible. 5+ hour to a hockey store for me. I though that this was one of the main points of forums on the internet, to get opinions and info from lots of different points of view on a subject. I think someone should start a thread that states DON"T ASK ANYBODY ABOUT SKATES ON THIS FORUM JUST GO DOWN TO YOUR LOCAL HOCKEY STORE (because we all live in a city that in 30 minuets has tons of choices for buying skates) AND TRY THEM ON !!!!!!!!!!!

Your question is fine and insinuating that people here don't give helpful advice is just plain false. I was simply pointing out that you got two answers that were exactly opposite. Which one do you want to bet your $300 on? Having people harp on the fact that skates must be tried on may very well be annoying, but it is also the single most valuable piece of advice. Sorry if you felt your mental capacity was being questioned.

Yelling won't make anyone want to help you. :rolleyes:

Being patient, listening to what people are saying and being more descriptive just might.

I think that's the best advice you'll ever get in life from here. You're welcome. :cool:

Your question is fine and insinuating that people here don't give helpful advice is just plain false. I was simply pointing out that you got two answers that were exactly opposite. Which one do you want to bet your $300 on? Having people harp on the fact that skates must be tried on may very well be annoying, but it is also the single most valuable piece of advice. Sorry if you felt your mental capacity was being questioned.

Telling people to try on skates is not valuable advice, I am pretty sure everyone knows that trying on skates is the best way to see how they fit and if they are comfortable or not, But for a lot of people it is just not possible, So one asks a question and trys to get a consensus from a bunch of different people that have worn the skates. Not every one will agree on the same answer to a question but a majority consensus with details is what I'm after. Then us unfortunate people that live in a "hockey skate desert" take a chance with the best info we get from you guys.

Telling people to try on skates is not valuable advice, I am pretty sure everyone knows that trying on skates is the best way to see how they fit and if they are comfortable or not, But for a lot of people it is just not possible, So one asks a question and trys to get a consensus from a bunch of different people that have worn the skates. Not every one will agree on the same answer to a question but a majority consensus with details is what I'm after. Then us unfortunate people that live in a "hockey skate desert" take a chance with the best info we get from you guys.

I'm sorry, but I just disagree. There is a reason why the professional skate fitters on this forum always advise getting fit in person. Your original post made no mention of your inability to try skates on so one would assume this is an option for you. A consensus on something like high-ankle volume is useless because it is so subjective. There is nobody here that is more helpful on skate issues than Aireaye and it seems that he and I have similar opinions on this issue. Good luck with your search.

OK. Every person stop bickering, and lets actually try and solve this problem.

What were the last skates you had that you felt were comfortable???

I stand by my original suggestion.

Wait for the Mako's to go on clearance if you can, buy your size online, and bake them at home. Can't beat the fit (literally like wearing running shoes) at a clearance price.

OK. Every person stop bickering, and lets actually try and solve this problem.

What were the last skates you had that you felt were comfortable???

03 easton zair comp, for one thing the skate boot bottom its self had an arch. I like the boot to have some arch not just rely only on the insole. Pencil was rubbing my front tendon just slightly all the way to the top two eye lets, at that point it had a little to much volume, but not real bad. The width was really good all the way through the boot. The toe box was good side to side but a little to much volume vertically. They are so broken down that they are almost as floppy as a moccasin. So after skating in some real stiff skates, and not to my liking, I want something that has some flex. Graf ? Do some of their boots have some flex? Do any of the graf boots have an arched bottom? The bauer and ccm I have looked at, and skated in, the boot them self had basically no arch support. I really need a skate that has low volume high up in the boot, top two eye lets. I know every one talks about "Try on skates and get the skates that are comfortable." I think that there is a lot more to it than that, I have tried skating in a few skates that were comfortable but had to much wrap up high, making it near impossible for me to bend my knees, without the back of my blades coming off the ice. So has someone had the zair, or know of a skate with the things I want? Thanks.

I stand by my original suggestion.

Wait for the Mako's to go on clearance if you can, buy your size online, and bake them at home. Can't beat the fit (literally like wearing running shoes) at a clearance price.

We must not be living on the same planet.

For the few skates that on the market that have a low heel/ankle volume, you claiming the S17 is medium/high ankle volume blows my mind.

I have tried a lot of skates in my time, all of them had too much volume up top and my skating was suffering greatly. The S17 is one of the few that eliminates volume up top without cranking on the laces.

ES17WS-big.jpg

And everyones feet handles skates differently. I don't have an official "volume" scale, but it was one of the looser fits up top for me that I've had compared to other skates. I digress.

And everyones feet handles skates differently. I don't have an official "volume" scale, but it was one of the looser fits up top for me that I've had compared to other skates. I digress.

Can you list the skates that were tighter up top than the s17?

Since they are on closeout most places, try going with the Bauer APX skates. I have gone with Easton for my last two pairs because I find wider skates more comfy and the APX skates were alot wider than any other Bauers I had tried on in the vapor family.