Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cjm305

Shin guards - wide, light, and cheap

First question on the board, but I have been creeping topics for years. Like many, I tend to modify my gear to suit my needs and in the past with shin guards this has meant cutting much of the padding out of the interior. I love light gear, and it has come to the point where I had to admit it to myself. Regardless, I have been using Easton S9 15" shin guards with the lining removed for the past 6 years, and its time for something new. Also, I notice that without the padding I am having to stretch a little to keep my front tongue tuck going.

So the question is:

What are the options that are wider, wouldnt waste my money on lining, and are somewhat affordable??

Also, I am 5'9" and about 170, should I consider moving up in size? Last time that I tried 16" shins was an old vintage set of Easton gel Z-airs...

Thanks!!

I thought the reeboks looked relatively wide, but I was unsure if they would have too much padding. I talked to Totalhockey customer service and they didnt think that the Bauer Nexus 400 shins would be durable. I play at the ACHA D3 level, so we are competitive, but I didnt know if the plastic really varied much from low end to high end.

I thought the reeboks looked relatively wide, but I was unsure if they would have too much padding. I talked to Totalhockey customer service and they didnt think that the Bauer Nexus 400 shins would be durable. I play at the ACHA D3 level, so we are competitive, but I didnt know if the plastic really varied much from low end to high end.

I haven't looked at the nexus 400s, but when I played ACHA D3 I was using a pair of supreme one30s (they where blue and grey) it was the same time the one 90 stick was out. I used to block a lot of shots and only one of them dented the plastic on the shin pad.

Icewarehouse.com lists the weight in grams for many of the pads. Do you think the Nexus 400's would be able to hold up? They are about the lightest and I wouldnt have to remove any padding. The RBK 12k's would probably get a little bit of weight savings from removing the portion of the liner under the knee, but would they also be able to hold up? I play wing and frankly I dont block many shots, I just want a pad that I can tongue tuck with, that will be really light, and will protect me if I wind up screening and get forced in front of a shot...

No issues with anything listed that I've heard of, but you really need to realize that you're looking for low-end gear and should temper your expectations as such...

As far as expectations go, when you boil all of this down, all I really need is a shell with the backing, and no real liner. If we're being honest, most of these shin guards will weigh the same amount without all of the cushion in them. I just don't really wanna drop $100 on something I will be throwing out half of.

I wound up going with the nexus 600's because they were the only wide style at the pro shop I was at. I had games Friday and Saturday and when I went to put my shins on for Saturday, I found that the both of the rivets that connect the knee to the shin on my old S9 shins had sheared and the knee had about 2 feet of free play. Haha