Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
brokensword

Sprung question

The knuckles on the A7 and A8 were already sturdy - it was only the A6 that had the more severe knuckle breakage issues. The new beefed up knuckles are a big improvement from the old A6 and brings them up to par with the A7 and A8. So either the new A6 or A7 would both be good choices.

With the A6 you'd have a smaller wheel base and turning radius which might be beneficial for the smaller surface you play on. You could either use all 72mm or all 76mm wheels (I use all 76mm). With the A7 chassis you could either use all 76mm or all 80mm wheels - the wheel base would be a bit longer, but you might get more speed at the cost of a bit of mobility; especially if you use the all 80mm setup. The durability should now be the same with either of those chassis.

Edited by althoma1

Whoops nevermind, I see it now. I was googling sprungs store and sprungs hockey and it wasnt coming up before (or at least I couldn't find it during my rage).

Since they are still in business, and I can stock up on some extra parts, I probably will go ahead and get some (as long as I can get ahold of them). I just dont understand why the quality of the metal is so bad. I honestly think the stripped axle wasnt the problem, but that it was just metled into the nut (or close). I was twisting as hard as I could and the nut wasnt spinning and it would not budge. I did them extra loose the night before.

I am also considering shaving down the outside of the plastic on a few spots incase I ever need to hold the nut with a pair of pliers while trying to get the bolt out. I dont wanna have to destroy another axle to get it out. Dont know how I can avoid having what happened to me tonight happen again though.

And the typical skate wrench does work, but if you notice, it actually jiggles a little while in there. I guess its fine in a pinch, but over time thats gonna wear the axle out. If you have a 4mm wrench handy, try it out it works much better.

And btw speaking of things being slightly off, I tried finding a nut to use inplace of the ones that come with it, and nothing fits that bolt. Dont know if its metric or what, but home depot didnt have anything in store that would work. Not that its a perfect substituion either way, since the sprungs nut has the little part that ensures you dont overtighten, or damage the plastic.

One last question. On the Sprungs store, If I wanted to buy a rockerarm, do they sell them by two or one a piece? It says 1, but 2 are pictured. Same with the pivot pin assembly, and the wheel axis assembly.

Has anyone ever had any problems with the actual frame? The replacement parts are cheap enough that as long as the frame is OK, I wont worry as much about breaking the small peices.

I've used the original close-out Sprung frame for several years without ever having any of the problems you've encountered. Maybe you really are over-tightening the screws but don't think you are. Or maybe the fact that I use Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 every time I re-assemble the screws makes the difference. With the Loctite you really don't have to tighten the screws very hard since the Loctite prevents them from unscrewing. And maybe the Loctite becomes a thin film that prevents screws from seizing or "welding" together. I've always applied Loctite to screws on any brand of chassis since my first Sure-Grip frames and highly recommend it.

Hey puckface A7 are definetly suited better for your 9's, I have tried the new A6's on my size 9 ' s & yes they can take a beating & did not break but I get more control & better cornering & stopping out of the A7's.

found this a few pages back:

As for the wheels - sprung uses either all 76mm wheels or all 80mm wheels depending on the size of chassis you get. People coming from a Hi-lo chassis may only have 4 80mm wheels and 4 76mm or 72mm wheels instead of 8 76mm or 80mm wheels. If you need an A6 (small) chassis and have 8 76mm wheels you like then you're set or if you're using an A7 or A8 you can use either all 76mm or 80mm wheels, but most people seem to use 80mm wheels.

So it seems A7 sprungs can use all 80mm wheels - so I dont see why you would wanna use anything smaller.

I used my sprungs on sport court over the summer, and ended up using 78a wheels. You can use something harder because the design of the sprungs makes the wheels grip better. I used 76a on a normal chassis the summer before, and both seemed equally as sticky.

I bought these: http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Revision_Variant_Steel_Hockey_Wheels/descpage-RVSW0.html

If I were to do it again, I probably would just go with something cheaper since I primarily play ice, and then use other wheels when I play on concrete. Id probably just get some cheap tron wheels or something, or at most maybe some grippers.

If you are interested in barely used revision steel wheels (76mm) message me and Ill give you a good deal.

I have found rink rats to be the best on sports court, do not use 80mm. I am similar weight & used 76mm for a while & recently swaped to 72 mm wheels.I have found that the top end speed is not worth the sacrifice of the egilaty of the smaller wheels, you really don't lose too much speed, I have spent time on all of them & have come to that conclusion,78a hardness as well.

It is only top end (rolling) speed you lose which on inline courts really doesnt matter.

How are you guys going with the new sprungs? , any breaks , I have not broken any a6x or a7 arms & I play 2 games a week skating hard , banging around for 7 or 8 months.i also like the tighter tolerance in the arms which keeps the wheels snug.

I've been using them since November for both playing and reffing - often 4-5 hours per week and a lot more some weeks (for tournaments or reffing a few nights instead of just one). I had one A6X knuckle crack on me and had it replaced under warranty and haven't had any issues since. I also like the tighter tolerances and stiffer feel.

I was told that the fact that there were two 2 rockers pair together might have contributed to the knuckle cracking and that they're more durable if paired 1/2. They came this way assembled and new - I actually still have only enough 1's to do two 1/2 sets and have the other two as 2/2 pairs out of necessity. I haven't had any others crack on me though.

Edited by althoma1

I've been skating on A7s on all 80mms for about 4 months. On average 3-4 hours per week. No damage other than some puck marks on the frames. Currently I'm using Revision Steels and Rink Rat Identity Krysis 78A and by far its been the best set up. Absolutely love the transition back and forth from ice to roller now.

I would if I could but it looks like the sprung website is totally out of stock and has been for almost 4-6 months, I'm afraid that they are just not making them anymore

• Like 1

The complete frames with rocker arms seem to be in stock in all sizes, but yes the separate new A6 arms have been out of stock for a while now.

I would if I could but it looks like the sprung website is totally out of stock and has been for almost 4-6 months, I'm afraid that they are just not making them anymore

I don't no what website you are looking at but the only thing they are out of stock is the A6 arms?

I'm looking at the store of the Sprung Hockey site: http://www.sprunghockey.com/store/sprung-frames

When you click through to the complete A6 Frames it says 92 in stock, 90 on the A7 page and 99 on the A8 page.

On the parts page the stock is much more limited as far as A6 and A7 parts go. A6 arms aren't available, there only 11 A6 frames, 15 A7 Frames, 5 A7 Arms. There are plenty of A8 arms and frames as well as springs, pivot pins and wheel axis assemblies for all frames.

Don't look at the old sprunginline site. Go to sprunghockey.com.

yep the a6x arms are all gone which is what I need and I haven't been able to get a answer from of the contacts on their site... :( hate to say it but I might have to look at a rigid frame now...

yep the a6x arms are all gone which is what I need and I haven't been able to get a answer from of the contacts on their site... :( hate to say it but I might have to look at a rigid frame now...

Check out marsblades before you go back to a straight frame. I love them, and they are the reason I sold my sprungs. This summer I tried both and I honestly can say I love them, and any player who plays ice, and even players who only play roller should try them out. My skating is as good as its ever been, and the transition from going from roller to ice was much more seamless with these (much better than sprungs in this category).

I think the construction is great on them, and would worry less about marsblade breaking than sprungs.

If you are really set on going back to a normal frame, I have a magnesium hilo chassis from a pair of mission skates that I would be willing to sell. Ive got it on a pair of x70's at the moment, but I could sell just the frame if you are interested. Also for that frame - I have both indoor and outdoor wheels (rink rat xxx), if you are looking to get more than just the frame.

Again - if I were you I would definitely look into marsblade first, but if not let me know.

No, an A7 arm would not work with the A6 frame. You can either use A6 arms or the beefed up A6X arms in pairs. You could use a pair of A6X arms in the front and A6 arms in the back, but you can't use an A6 and A6X arm in the same slot.

I have both A6 and A6X arms. Keith aka Sprungster confirmed that A7 arms can't be used with the A6 frame. If they could he wouldn't have needed to develop the A6X arms.

Is there any news as to if or when the A6X arms are going to be available again?

I am looking to do an APX2 conversion on sprungs or mission magnesium. Last time I owned sprungs, replacement parts were difficult to come by which deters me from buying them again.

Check out marsblades before you go back to a straight frame. I love them, and they are the reason I sold my sprungs. This summer I tried both and I honestly can say I love them, and any player who plays ice, and even players who only play roller should try them out. My skating is as good as its ever been, and the transition from going from roller to ice was much more seamless with these (much better than sprungs in this category).

I think the construction is great on them, and would worry less about marsblade breaking than sprungs.

If you are really set on going back to a normal frame, I have a magnesium hilo chassis from a pair of mission skates that I would be willing to sell. Ive got it on a pair of x70's at the moment, but I could sell just the frame if you are interested. Also for that frame - I have both indoor and outdoor wheels (rink rat xxx), if you are looking to get more than just the frame.

Again - if I were you I would definitely look into marsblade first, but if not let me know.

I really want to try some marsblades!

I think the are a brilliant concept, because the combine how inline skates work and provide the rocker you get on ice skates.

What i mean is.. on inline skates..youve got the most grip when all wheels are in contact with the ground..which is what marsblade maintains..and allowing some rockerage!