Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
brokensword

Sprung question

I'm new to the forum and joined simply to ask follow-up questions re the Sprung chassis. I note there's already a new thread for this but it's locked, which brings up even more questions. Are any of you still using Sprungs? Do they have longevity? In the other thread, there seems uncertainty re whether the company is still doing business. Is there still faith in this product? I sure don't want to shell out the money and be on a waiting list for either shipment or support communication. Having read almost the entire original Sprung thread, I saw a lot of enthusiasm and an evolving personality (to the actual thread as posters and originator interacted, etc). I guess I'd like current feedback on what people think of this chassis before I take the chance. I can't try them out, there is no return policy other than replacement, so others' experience would be valuable. From what I can see, the Sprung website hasn't been updated for a long time, other than to show new units in the Store portion.

Any thoughts/advice you can give, I'd appreciate.

Michael

• Like 1

I've been using the chassis for years and the newer revision for a few months. The previous A6 chassis had issues with the knuckles cracking, but I haven't experienced this with the new chassis.

In the past I've used the Tuuk rocker chassis and before that a flat all 76mm chassis. I've never used the hi-lo or hummer chassis so can't compare it to those, but prefer it to the tuuk rocker or flat chassis. I find it allows you to turn tighter, stop faster and get full stride extension. It also makes the transition between ice and roller easier.

As of November I exchanged emails with the owner and received the new product. I didn't have a problem getting email responses, but others seem to have had trouble getting in touch recently.

Those frames are beastly.. that is a fact. I am trying to get a pair myself. its funny these posts are popping up recently.

I've been using the chassis for years and the newer revision for a few months. The previous A6 chassis had issues with the knuckles cracking, but I haven't experienced this with the new chassis.

In the past I've used the Tuuk rocker chassis and before that a flat all 76mm chassis. I've never used the hi-lo or hummer chassis so can't compare it to those, but prefer it to the tuuk rocker or flat chassis. I find it allows you to turn tighter, stop faster and get full stride extension. It also makes the transition between ice and roller easier.

As of November I exchanged emails with the owner and received the new product. I didn't have a problem getting email responses, but others seem to have had trouble getting in touch recently.

They are sick right? dudes tell me changes everything for them.... I am getting them.

Whats interesting is why they or something simmilar is not being mass produced .. I guess cause its not like there are new hockey players, let alone new inline hockey players entering the market.. what happened to the days when every schoolyard had a hockey game .. skates no skates dudes were playing.. this generation is retarted. Kids look at me skating like I am an alien.. its funny.

Those frames are beastly.. that is a fact. I am trying to get a pair myself. its funny these posts are popping up recently.

They are sick right? dudes tell me changes everything for them.... I am getting them.

Whats interesting is why they or something simmilar is not being mass produced .. I guess cause its not like there are new hockey players, let alone new inline hockey players entering the market.. what happened to the days when every schoolyard had a hockey game .. skates no skates dudes were playing.. this generation is retarted. Kids look at me skating like I am an alien.. its funny.

I like them and think most players who played ice first and then roller will really like them. Roller first players could also benefit, but may not want to change from what's always worked for them. I think these are the challenges that prevent them from being more widely used:

1. Right now it's generally more expensive to go with a stand alone chassis like the Sprung, attach them to either roller or ice boots and buy the necessary wheels than to just get boots that already have a chassis and wheels. (personally, no stock wheels would work well for me anyway as all the high end skates come with super soft wheels that aren't appropriate for bigger/heavier players, but stock wheels work well for some players)

2. People either don't have a hockey shop near them that they trust to mount the chassis or don't feel comfortable mounting one themselves.

3. Players that started with roller and not ice are used to the hi-lo and hummer chassis and may not feel the need to change - especially if they have to spend more money.

4. They require more maintenance than an aluminum chassis - cleaning them and conditioning the plastic.

They're the best chassis I've used and I do recommend them, but not everyone is going to want to spend the money and time on them.

If you just leave the plastic be it can get dry and can lead to breakage problems so every once in a while you should take apart the chassis and soak the plastic parts in water to condition the plastic. The plastic will suck the moisture up and this will make it more durable.

As for the wheels - sprung uses either all 76mm wheels or all 80mm wheels depending on the size of chassis you get. People coming from a Hi-lo chassis may only have 4 80mm wheels and 4 76mm or 72mm wheels instead of 8 76mm or 80mm wheels. If you need an A6 (small) chassis and have 8 76mm wheels you like then you're set or if you're using an A7 or A8 you can use either all 76mm or 80mm wheels, but most people seem to use 80mm wheels.

One other note about the wheels - most people seem to be able to use a harder wheel with Sprungs - if you were previously using 74a wheels you may want to go up to 76a wheels. The Sprungs naturally provide more grip and if you use wheels that are overly soft it can feel like you're skating in mud. I personally use 78a wheels in the first 3 slots and 84a in the last one indoors on Sport Court, but I'm also over 200lbs.

Edited by althoma1

Ok, I will state my personal, non-Alkali opinions of these. This entire post is my own personal opinion:

Does Sprung work - For some people. I personally do not like them at all. I do not like how the front wheel compresses, and feel much slower in them, have a loss in balance, and overall I am not comfortable in them.

Do they turn better -Maybe. Personally I like how the back wheel compresses (this is funny, since I love how the old Vibe 2 chassis compressed in the back).

Is there a place for them: Sure, some ice guys would like them, but I feel they are more of an off ice training tool.

My opinion is you should support brands that support inline/roller hockey: Alkali, Bauer/Mission, Tour, Labeda, Rink Rat, and Revision.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for some feedback. I'm one of those that went on this 'mission' to find inline skates that would approximate what I can do on ice. I've investigated different methods and it's getting closer, but most that use Sprungs echo the sentiment that it's most like ice skating. For me, this is important. It doesn't take long for the transition back and forth, but it is different.

I'm glad folks are STILL using them as it means they're perhaps more than a fad, even though other than this forum, I don't find much reading material. The whole long locked/archived Sprung thread was an eyeful to be sure.

Justin; I believe in loyalty but not when it's company vrs user; I'd rather have innovation and choices, no matter if the manufacturer has deep pockets to do as you believe or not. This reminds me of when the Edison company (quite a while ago) bought up a bulb design/company that produced units that would last for years instead of months, simply so they could continue making profit as they saw fit. This is not something I'd ever support as the greater good for humanity in general is being stopped for greed's sake. And I know skating is not in the same league as energy consumption etc, but the theory is the same. Just my take. I don't see the reasons as to why 'brands that support inline/roller hockey' as anything other than for the bottom line; when the profit isn't there, those brands you mention won't be either while some of us may still want new/better equipment. If it's all about money, fine. It's the way of the world, but not for all of us.

And that said, don't think I'm not fully aware of how much Sprungs are; that's the reason I'm asking. I know there's profit behind there, too. Doesn't mean I don't respect the idea that someone is trying to bridge the gap between ice and inline hockey skates. The boots have come a long way toward equalizing but there's still a gap with respect to 'motion of skating' and if Sprungs help, more power to company/product.

I'd appreciate any further feedback with the durability and use. Like I said, these aren't cheap and I want to be sure before I buy.

Michael

Edited by brokensword

He is saying those companies support inline in a way that they keep innovating and pushing that field. look at the ccm and reebok roller skates. theyre the ice boot but just put a bad chassis on it so they can make a buck or two from the inline crowd.

Alkali has made big strives especially in this past model update. chassis, toe spring, skate width, skate materials, the outsole, and im sure a couple of other things have been changed for a better inline experience and to give players what they have been asking for.

You mention the lightbulb buyout. Bauer bought mission and instead of putting a steak in it and just putting out the same old stuff they too have upped their skate and the inhaler line is pretty sweet and their vapor inlines (though i view it more as an ice to inline thing) still has its roller progression.

the moving chassis idea has been done before and there is a reason why it didnt last for most of us and was fazed out. I have the vibe2 chassis ona skate and one of the problems i had with it was that even though it sunk in on turns there were times it wasnt consistent or i took a turn slightly different and now i was put off balance. Now maybe i dont play during the summer and my weight changes, now there is another variable.

He is saying those companies support inline in a way that they keep innovating and pushing that field. look at the ccm and reebok roller skates. theyre the ice boot but just put a bad chassis on it so they can make a buck or two from the inline crowd.

>>>I have no problem with that, but the way it reads, he's excluding those that don't 'support inline/roller' in ways he believes in. That's the part I think shuts the 'little guy' out and stifles total innovation. I think I can invest in those that promote my interests as I see them without being told who and who not to buy from.

Alkali has made big strives especially in this past model update. chassis, toe spring, skate width, skate materials, the outsole, and im sure a couple of other things have been changed for a better inline experience and to give players what they have been asking for.

>>>no problem again and something we should all want.

You mention the lightbulb buyout. Bauer bought mission and instead of putting a steak in it and just putting out the same old stuff they too have upped their skate and the inhaler line is pretty sweet and their vapor inlines (though i view it more as an ice to inline thing) still has its roller progression.

the moving chassis idea has been done before and there is a reason why it didnt last for most of us and was fazed out. I have the vibe2 chassis ona skate and one of the problems i had with it was that even though it sunk in on turns there were times it wasnt consistent or i took a turn slightly different and now i was put off balance. Now maybe i dont play during the summer and my weight changes, now there is another variable.

>>>so while in use, this vibe2 chassis (I'm assuming you're comparing it to the Sprung, right?) is inconsistent re performance? That turns is where this inconsistency showed up for you? Does it have anything to do with the type of wheels, I wonder? I'm looking for something that more approximates the ice hockey experience.

Thanks for taking the time to help! Appreciated.

Michael

i havnt used the vibe2 in about 8 years so i really cant say and i doubt it was the wheels but once again this was nearly a decade ago. Do not this is one mans experience with it as others did like it and others really didnt like it bc it also had extra weight.

I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about with the sprung chassis but not curious enough to want to chop up a perfectly good boot to find out.

I got the email last year as well to say they had a new allocation but I decided to pass on it for the above reason.

Another one is that "marsblade" chassis thats advertised online although I believe it's only available in Europe.

Wow Justin got chirped on for no reason.. Dude Alkali is all Inline.. despite inline being close to extinction , they stuck around and make awesome skates. He posted as a player / skater.. trust me dude they don't need to convert you to sell you a pair. The guy has serious industry experience and he once invented a time machine using only Labeda wheels, Redbull, and 2 double A batteries just to go back in time and punch out a T-Rex! He offered some good advice and you went off on a rant about monopolies and evil corporations and I am surprised you did not mention lex luthor, the illuminati being behind the collapse of inline, and blame him for global warming. Please do not respond to this.. you know what you did bro, let it go. We all love you, I get pissed too.. I was angry at the monkey one time.. I regretted the post later. They are busy people, I was a pissed of skater, it wasn't their fault. We are men of hockey not women of emotion - we deal with frustration by scruffing it out with a guy twice our size the next time we play. That or sex. I prefer the latter.

I think you should get a pair of Alkali skates or Bauers or Missions, preff in a stiffer mid line skate ( you will not enjoy cheap boots because they are flimsy) just had this whole thread over at ice. With $300 tops $200 being least is what you should spend. If you could find it, get a straight chassis so you could change up the wheel config; I.e. Hi-Lo or Bannana ( rocer like Ice). And just go for it!!! You'll love it! I will also give you this advice; find an indoor rink with sportcourt and practice there with full on padding in the begining because you will fall and asphalt is not ice.It hurts ..a lot.. sport court is a bit slippery so you will not hurt your self to much on the friction element and you will be around other players which is a huge factor when getting into a new sport. just show up 30 mins before a pick up game and skate or wever. Clay court is cool. but you might get static from the tennis snobs.. I just slapshoot tennis balls at them if they annoy me too much. They usually leave after a few solid hits. But you gotta make it look incidental cause they will fight you bro! No im just kidding they wont..

Love it!

Edited by Gummer12
Soliciting

Thanks guys for some feedback. I'm one of those that went on this 'mission' to find inline skates that would approximate what I can do on ice. I've investigated different methods and it's getting closer, but most that use Sprungs echo the sentiment that it's most like ice skating. For me, this is important. It doesn't take long for the transition back and forth, but it is different.

And that said, don't think I'm not fully aware of how much Sprungs are; that's the reason I'm asking. I know there's profit behind there, too. Doesn't mean I don't respect the idea that someone is trying to bridge the gap between ice and inline hockey skates. The boots have come a long way toward equalizing but there's still a gap with respect to 'motion of skating' and if Sprungs help, more power to company/product.

I'd appreciate any further feedback with the durability and use. Like I said, these aren't cheap and I want to be sure before I buy.

Michael

They're the best option I've used as far as replicating an ice like feeling. As previously mentioned I've used the old Tuuk Rocker and I've also tried rockering the wheels on a flat chassis and prefer the Sprungs.

As for durability, I used my original A6 chassis for about 4 years before I retired it, but probably went through at least one complete set of rocker arms during that time. There were a few reasons for this:

• The knuckles on the A6 arms were a weak point on the original version. The new version has beefed up knuckles with tighter tolerances.
  • When I first started using them I didn't realize you had to condition them or clean them every once in a while (about once a month is good) and when the plastic gets dry it's more likely to break.
  • I'm bigger/heavier than the average player and was jumping over the boards on changes like I do on ice, but now I just go through the door to avoid putting extra stress on the knuckles.

Also, if you don't take apart and clean the chassis on a regular basis the dirt that gets inside will cause friction and wear down the part of the chassis that holds the arms as well as the outside of arms themselves. This isn't as big of a problem where the rear arms are connected as the connection point is deeper. It's more of a problem in the front where the connection point is shallower - if you don't clean them regularly then they'll loosen up quite a bit after a few years. You'll still be able to use them, but they won't be as responsive as when they were new. If you're using them outside you should clean them even more often as the dirt you'll find outside is generally more abrasive than the dirt and dust on indoor courts.

With all of that said, I still wouldn't move to a flat chassis unless I had no other options. None of the new beefed up rocker arms have broken on me in the few months I've been using them. They're wearing well, but I also clean and condition them about once a month and haven't jumped over the boards with them. The tolerances are tighter and the springs are stiffer so they also feel faster and more responsive.

As far as Justin's comments, I have to respect them as he has years of experience designing roller hockey specific products.

I too felt a bit unbalanced on one set I had (I've had a few on a few different boots over the years) as they were mounted too far forward. Once I was on a pair that was properly mounted the balance wasn't an issue. They have to be mounted just right - you or the shop you take them to has to mount them exactly like the instructions state - 1/4" back of center. I doubt this was Justin's issue since he'd be able to mount skates very well with all his experience, but a mount that is off will certainly cause issues. A well worn chassis that hasn't been cleaned will also provide more play - the older models in general will provide more play as the springs aren't as stiff.

If you use wheels that are too soft with Sprungs they will feel slow. Sprungs need harder wheels for the suspension to work effectively. I first tested out the Sprungs with outdoor wheels and was happy with them, but when I first used them indoors I was a bit disappointed as it did feel slower. This was corrected when I put on harder wheels.

So I still recommend them, but for best results:

• Buy the newest model. The knuckles are beefed up, the plastic is supposed to be of higher quality and the springs are stiffer.
  • Clean them and soak the plastic parts regularly
  • Don't hop the boards
  • Go with harder wheels than you'd use for a traditional chassis. I always use the hardest indoor wheels I can find and even use an outdoor wheel on the back as that wheel always wears fastest.
  • Make sure they're mounted 1/4" back from center

The Marsblade Wicked3Aussie mentioned is also supposed to replicate an ice feel. I'd be curious to try that as well, but it's even more than the Sprungs at the moment, but do come with wheels and bearings. I noticed on their Facebook page they indicate they're launching in Canada in the summer of 2014 (they even had some ads at the MasterCard Center in Toronto). Perhaps the price will come down a bit and there will be a chassis only option at that point.

Since I'm already comfortable with Sprungs I don't know if I'd shell out the coin to try Marsblades though unless I heard from other Sprung users that they were significantly better or if Sprungs were no longer available. So I can see why people who are already comfortable with whatever chassis they're currently using wouldn't switch to Sprungs. In a case where you're looking to replicate an ice like feel then the Sprungs and Marsblades are two options to consider.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

Thanks Althoma1; that was the kind of feedback I was hoping to get--real world use and care. I can see the plastic breaking down without the maintenance, just as you say; there ARE moving parts. I'm not a large guy so I doubt 'hopping over the boards' would do much to affect any set of Sprungs I might get, but it's still good to know. And being an older player, I usually use the door to the bench anyway. Hopping was all good in the 'old days', heh.

And I understand re the mounting as I've done some experimenting with used roller blades, trying on different chassis and wheels, and even trying to match the pitch of my ice skates to try and replicate the same experience on inline. You say you've got the small chasis, the A6; I was thinking of that too as I'm trying to get a similar wheel length/ice blade length. With the 80s my inlines came with, I gained about an inch and found it upset the skating motion too much. A smaller chassis and smaller diameter wheels brought the footprint down to almost the same length.

When you mention 'the hardest wheels you can find'; right now, I'm using 78a (I don't weigh much) and have had no slippage after initially starting with 74a. And I've rockered the set, which I think helped get me even closer to the ice experience. I AM wondering how the Sprungs would do with a rocker--which I understand I should not do, but then maybe I wouldn't need it then. Anyway, are the 78a wheels hard enough or would you go with a true outdoor wheel in the 84a spec range?

Thanks again for helping!

Michael

What surface are you skating on? For Sport Court a 78a indoor wheel is certainly hard enough. I meant the hardest high end indoor wheel that I can find and not necessarily the hardest wheel period. That's what I use for the first 3 wheels. I use 78a Rink Rat Hot shots and then an 84a World Cup wheel in the back (which are meant for outdoors, but are dual pour wheels that I find work for me on the back). Before that I was using the Revision Steel wheels which I believe are also 78a. If you're on Sport Court I'd stick with 78a for sure if you aren't slipping out. That's about the hardest Sport Court wheel most companies make anyway (especially in the higher in dual pour wheels). If you're on smooth concrete you may want to move to a harder single pour wheel as for some reason those seem to work better for concrete. If you're outdoors then you'll definitely want an outdoor wheel.

If you're lighter you could probably also get away with 76a wheels for Sport Court (before the Revision Steels were available I used Revision Bronze and they're 76a), but I definitely wouldn't go lower than that with Sprungs.

Definitely don't rocker the Sprung chassis - use all 76mm or all 72mm wheels if you get the A6 chassis. I use all 76mm, but all 72mm would work if you really want to be as close to the ground as possible. Just don't mix the sizes. You'll loose a bit of speed if you go with all 72mm. If you get an A7 or A8 you can either use all 76mm or all 80mm, but don't mix the two. The Sprungs only work properly if you use wheels that are all the same size and you'll void the 1 year warranty and add undue stress on the parts if you mix sizes.

I've been on sprungs for many years now, and have tried all three sizes on my size 8.5 skate boots. By far the best combo is a A7 chassis with 76mm wheels. Gives me the right balance between speed and quick turns. I went back to rigid chassis when playing with my old team when I went to visit my folks, and it just felt unresponsive.

althoma1: I'm going to assume it's a sport court; kind of a blue-gray tile that is supposedly laid over a wood floor. I know it's not concrete for sure and the surface is solid--no holes/openings as some I've seen online. When I first started playing last spring, I used an old set of roller blades that had me slipping a lot, and I know those were outdoor wheels, that's why I was told to switch to the indoor for better grip. Right now, I have the 78a with one outdoor wheel(82a I think) in the middle and as I said, I don't slip. The reason I rockered what I have is to get the ability to turn better. I hope I'm hearing you correctly in that with the Sprungs, turning would be the same? Can you give me the comparison as you've done both?

I'm glad you clued me into the maintenance of such a chassis as I'd hate to find out the hard way that the product has a shorter than usual lifespan with neglect. Thanks.

fatwabbit; nice to hear someone else has tested the options and can report back to me; I was thinking the A6 as I wear a size 8 boot, but maybe I should go for the A7? I DO want to try and keep the overall 'footprint' close to the 11 and 1/4 inches of my ice blade (it's about 12" with all 76s now). Would there be any advantage/disadvantage to using the A7 and all 76s (as I'd be doing prob with the A6 as well)? That is, is the A7 length, even with using 76s, longer than the A6 length due to the arms being wider (it being built for 80s as opposed to using 76s, placement of arms/axle is further apart than in the A6)?

Michael

Edited by brokensword

My opinion is you should support brands that support inline/roller hockey: Alkali, Bauer/Mission, Tour, Labeda, Rink Rat, and Revision.

I'm genuinely curious about what's being implied here because I don't know much about the inline industry outside of what I get from consumer marketing. Do you mean that Sprung has been adversarial or uncooperative to roller hockey in some way?

I'm not interested in other people's conjectural opinions about this, I'm just trying to get some context for what this comment means. No fights here.

I was not talking about Sprung at all. I just believe you should support the brands that support players, tournaments, and are doing things to keep this sport going. I never talked bad about Sprung, and just gave my personal feedback on if they worked for me.

why was the previous sprung thread locked out?

It had devolved pretty badly. I'm willing to leave this one open for a while to see if it can remain productive.

I was not talking about Sprung at all. I just believe you should support the brands that support players, tournaments, and are doing things to keep this sport going. I never talked bad about Sprung, and just gave my personal feedback on if they worked for me.

I understand, I don't think anyone would disagree with supporting a growing industry. The comment about supporting roller hockey just kind of came out of left field and I was trying to figure out what made you mention it. No worries.

althoma1: I'm going to assume it's a sport court; kind of a blue-gray tile that is supposedly laid over a wood floor. I know it's not concrete for sure and the surface is solid--no holes/openings as some I've seen online. When I first started playing last spring, I used an old set of roller blades that had me slipping a lot, and I know those were outdoor wheels, that's why I was told to switch to the indoor for better grip. Right now, I have the 78a with one outdoor wheel(82a I think) in the middle and as I said, I don't slip. The reason I rockered what I have is to get the ability to turn better. I hope I'm hearing you correctly in that with the Sprungs, turning would be the same? Can you give me the comparison as you've done both?

I'm glad you clued me into the maintenance of such a chassis as I'd hate to find out the hard way that the product has a shorter than usual lifespan with neglect. Thanks.

Michael

Yes, that sounds like Sport Court. I'd stick with hard indoor wheels like the 78a you've been using. If you want to use one harder wheel I'd put it at the back as that wheel always seems to wear fastest with Sprungs.

I have used a rocker setup in the past and compared to Sprungs it was slower and more awkward. The Sprungs allow you to turn just as fast, but are smoother faster and more stable than a rockered setup.