Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikeWhy

I'm worried about my skates..

I bought Bauer x90's a little bit ago and being the worry wart I am, I can't help but obsess over the fact My feet arent perfectly fitting the footbed meaning the skates are a little too big... tell me if you guys think this amount of space is a big deal or if I shouldn't fret, $550 is a lot of money to lose if i did size this wrong. Oh and I typically wear two socks or the nike elite socks shown http://s738.photobucket.com/user/MikeYez/media/get-attachment_zps7afde6cf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

And with my foot on the footbed http://s738.photobucket.com/user/MikeYez/media/jhgi_zpsc936d2b0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

why would you wear two socks?

Something my friend made me try...it makes my foot feel 20x better in the skate. I played for like a year with just one sock but in the past 2 months I just HAVE to double sock

yeah, definitely too big, even with two socks on. If you HAVE to have two socks on to make it fit better, that should be your first clue.

It could be a big deal, that's a lot of space. Why did you get them so big??? To try and accomodate for the width of your feet?

The second picture should be taken with a bird's eye view, but it seems like you have a pretty wide forefoot.

wtf, who measured you for these skates???? even a casual glance at the foot bed shows you are in skates that are at least 1+ size to big for you, if not 2.

Simple measurement is the pencil test. Laces out, pull the tongue right out, foot in and push forward till toes feather the toe cap. If you can slide a pencil down the back of your heel then the skates are to big for you. Ideal measurement here is no more than 1mm - 2mm gap between the back of your heel and the skate. If you can poke a finger down the back of your heel the skates are at least 1 size to large.

for me I usually skate barefoot or wear vapor or easton thin socks

I wear a 12 sneaker and wear 9.5/10 skates just to give you an idea. everyone is different though

wtf, who measured you for these skates???? even a casual glance at the foot bed shows you are in skates that are at least 1+ size to big for you, if not 2.

Simple measurement is the pencil test. Laces out, pull the tongue right out, foot in and push forward till toes feather the toe cap. If you can slide a pencil down the back of your heel then the skates are to big for you. Ideal measurement here is no more than 1mm - 2mm gap between the back of your heel and the skate. If you can poke a finger down the back of your heel the skates are at least 1 size to large.

You're correct about fitment and the amount of space there should between your heel and the back of the skate when the feet are pushed all the way forward. However, the pencil test is this: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/35455-the-pencil-test/?hl=pencil%20test

You're correct about fitment and the amount of space there should between your heel and the back of the skate when the feet are pushed all the way forward. However, the pencil test is this: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/35455-the-pencil-test/?hl=pencil%20test

That is the pencil test for volume, and as an aside the ops should also try this.

As both volume and length are critical measurements for the correct fitment of skates, the pencil test is used for both. Or at least that is what I was taught and it just makes common sense.

There is a plus size to this and I know some D guys who wear skates around a size to big in length (although not as extreme as this), take a slap shot on the front of the toe cap and you wont feel a thing.......

It could be a big deal, that's a lot of space. Why did you get them so big??? To try and accomodate for the width of your feet?

The second picture should be taken with a bird's eye view, but it seems like you have a pretty wide forefoot.

That's exactly it, before I hadn't ever really watched a proper fitting video. Put 'em on and was like well these feel snug. I do have very blocky feet.

Actually a common mistake. Get the right length first, then find the right width, that is, the proper fit. Best thing to do if you want new skates is to sell these and spend the time to get properly fitted.

Actually a common mistake. Get the right length first, then find the right width, that is, the proper fit. Best thing to do if you want new skates is to sell these and spend the time to get properly fitted.

Working on selling them now and thanks for the reassurance that its a common mistake...makes me feel less stupid..

Based on how wide your foot looks from front to back, I'd be looking at Rbk or CCM and then the maybe the Supreme line in a EE. If a graf fitter is nearby they would have more options for a variety of foot shapes.

Based on how wide your foot looks from front to back, I'd be looking at Rbk or CCM and then the maybe the Supreme line in a EE. If a graf fitter is nearby they would have more options for a variety of foot shapes.

what brand for my roller skates?

As Graf skates are hard to convert from ice to inline I'd say go with CCM/Rbk for roller, the fit is pretty much the same as for the ice boots.

As Graf skates are hard to convert from ice to inline I'd say go with CCM/Rbk for roller, the fit is pretty much the same as for the ice boots.

*sigh* That means I have to move to a straight set up...

*sigh* That means I have to move to a straight set up...

Not necessarily. Mission fits large and a EE might do you fine. There is also the option of getting your skates punched for those problem areas (or doing it yourself if you have the time and patience). It does mean you need to look at a higher end boot but if you are a solid build but that is something you should already be thinking about so that the skates last. So saying (and the one I've seen just currently took 6 months of work and a few punches to get into his apxr's) I've seen some pretty wide feet fit into the Bauer line.