Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xracer4844

Blisters

Help :sad:

I have reebok 12k skates. I know they aren't anything special at all. I have superfeet and regular insoles for them. I have experimented with both but can't figure out what I like more. I have about 15 hours of skating on them, so they are still fairly new.

Last night at practice after about 20 minutes, I could feel some awesome blister action happening. I've never had blisters in them before, so perhaps I laced them a little looser than normal or something...I'm not sure.

Should I tape my feet or what should I do?

back of my heel on BOTH feet - which has never happened since owning the skates. Perhaps because they are worn in they've become a little bit looser in the heel?

to be more specific on the "inside" side of my heel of both my feet.

Try some compression socks. I prefer the Bauer Premium sock myself.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BPPSS

Also, it sounds like you're not utilizing the pump feature/heel lock. Your sock is probably the root of the issue, but you may be able to fix it with the pump feature. For example, I started out with 4-5 pumps per foot, but noticed not enough ankle support. Just this past week, I did 20 pumps each side, and wow, what a difference. The heel locked in and didn't move around as much.

If you haven't already, bake the boot as well!

If the problem still persists after doing the above (baking, compression sock and more pumps), then it'd mostly be that your boot is too big/wide for your foot (basically allowing your foot to swim around inside).

Try some compression socks. I prefer the Bauer Premium sock myself.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BPPSS

Also, it sounds like you're not utilizing the pump feature/heel lock. Your sock is probably the root of the issue, but you may be able to fix it with the pump feature. For example, I started out with 4-5 pumps per foot, but noticed not enough ankle support. Just this past week, I did 20 pumps each side, and wow, what a difference. The heel locked in and didn't move around as much.

If you haven't already, bake the boot as well!

If the problem still persists after doing the above (baking, compression sock and more pumps), then it'd mostly be that your boot is too big/wide for your foot (basically allowing your foot to swim around inside).

Thanks for your reply! I usually just wear an above the ankle sock. It is not a hockey specific one - it's actually for cycling but its very thin and lots of mesh and stuff (the pair was probably about 12$) I will try those socks you suggested.

I did have the boots baked as soon as I bought the skate which definitely helped with the break in period. I have screwed around with the pump on the boot but to be honest I haven't noticed a big difference with it so I kinda of ignored it. Maybe I should try what you said and pump them about 20 times.

Just make sure the pumps work. Because when I bought 9Ks, after baking them, the pumps stopped working. You will definitely feel a difference when it's pumped up.

Also, which laces are you using? If they're the retail laces, try swapping them out for some cheapo waxed laces. I found the RBK retail laces to be absolute crap. Didn't stay tight and absolutely no ankle support in the boot when using them.

Just make sure the pumps work. Because when I bought 9Ks, after baking them, the pumps stopped working. You will definitely feel a difference when it's pumped up.

Also, which laces are you using? If they're the retail laces, try swapping them out for some cheapo waxed laces. I found the RBK retail laces to be absolute crap. Didn't stay tight and absolutely no ankle support in the boot when using them.

when I bought the skates I purchased waxed elite laces and as soon as I got home I switched them.

I didn't have much success with elite waxed laces. They often made my skates way too tight. But, anyway, an above the ankle sock won't do you much help if you're developing blisters in that area. Try the over the calf compression socks and see if that fixes your ankle issue.

If that doesn't fix your ankle issue, then try the pump feature again and give a ton more pumps (you should feel it press against your ankle with some pressure).

I hope those work out for you, because the only other solution would be to either wear an ankle gel pad or to get a different pair of narrower heeled boots.

Also I would add moleskin. You can buy it at any grocery store or pharmacy. I ended up pulling out the footbed then put it in the base up the heel and put footbed back in.

This worked great, no more blisters but the moleskin would sometimes fall out so I ended up supergluing the moleskin in place. Wouldn't necessarily rec you do that but def try it