Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xracer4844

What are you wearing under your equipment?

What baselayers are you guys wearing? What are you wearing under your equipment/what do you recommend or want to try? Long sleeve, short sleeve etc.

Also, I wear a lot of underarmour but I'm not a fan of the tight fitting stuff as I'm a bigger guy (5'11/230) What do you recommend as a great 'loose' long sleeve option?

Winter Long loose fit heat gear under armor, bauer core pants "Hockey fit", under armor heat gear socks from dicks

Summer Short sleeved loose fit heat gear under armor, bauer core pants "Hockey fit", under armor heat gear socks

I have been experimenting with different things for years. It used to be loose fit tees and compression shorts, but the rink I play at in the winter can get very cold. After a full season of wearing the long pants under I tried to wear the compression shorts again and I just didn't like it. The only issue I have with the long hockey fit pants is it seems the boys sometimes escape the jock because there is more freedom for them. I haven't come up with a solution for that aside from just adjusting when it happens.

For roller year round. A Reebok compression shirt, I think.it's the lite is rite on bc the back was all vented mesh. And I have an Easton compression shorts jock with some padding on the hips and backbone.

Normal t-shirt, Bauer compression socks with (lost and found) Bauer compression pants (I washed them before using them!).

I like the compression pants because it offers the jock, velcro strap and a pant all in one. Since I have hairy legs, I like to make sure my hairs are secured and happy. But, as strosedefence34 mentioned, the way the Bauer cup pouch is designed it allows the cup to move around the mens room and can pinch a bit.

I've tried the Under Armor compression pants with the padding and they didn't do much. Fell on my butt and and on my sides... felt like I wasn't wearing any padding. Also, the velcro straps started ripping within the first month of use. Not a fan of the Under Armor compression pant.

I've found the Bauer Premium sock to be the best fit and function. I've tried the Bauer core sock, Bauer kevlar sock and a Drymax sock. All seem inadequate in terms of comfort, function and durability. The core sock is too small and too thin and lacks protection, the kevlar sock moves around a lot, which causes a lot of rubbing around the top of the foot, and the Drymax sock didn't last more than a day before it developed a hole on the bottom.

Long-tailed t-shirt (short sleeve), regular boxer briefs with a rbk loose jock short over it, and generic all-sport/soccer socks from Modell's. The socks are light but not too thin, and go all the way over my calf, no sliding around or slipping. The rinks I skate at are usually pretty cold, so I'm seldom in danger of overheating or sweating my brains out. If it's extra-extra cold I'll wear long underwear under the jock short. If I could find a wicking shirt that came in tall size I'd probably wear one of those instead of the regular cotton tee. (I'm not tall, I just like that there's approximately 0 danger of a tall/long shirt riding up under my pants/jersey, which is annoying).

I have a couple of loose-fitting wicking shirts from reebok that run long from neck to hem. They're for running, I think, technically, but they're really comfortable and light and I wear them swimming all the time. I got them at BJ's Wholesale (like Costco) but I assume they sell similar style shirts elsewhere. They're short-sleeve, however.

Normally I wear a soccer jersey underneath (have several from playing over the years) they are fairly lose fit and having the wicking properties so those are a good balance. I don't like under armor's compression fit stuff but they do make decent loose fit workout shirts that are good in a pinch.

I use a shock doctor compression short with some extra padding in the hip and tailbone over that I wear the bauer shorts with the cup liner cut out. I usually use soccer socks when playing it helps cut down on the drying time of the shin pads and are usually padded just right for the foot.

alot of this set up was trail and error until I found the right mix for my preferences.

bauer vapor premium short sleeve non compression. don't wear anything under on the legs. may try a groin short type thing. I still rock a cup and garter belt. Skate barefoot,

Loose fitting short sleeve Underarmor heat gear shirt, wicking polypro boxers under Bauer Classic mesh jock short , polypro or merino wool mt biking socks. I tend to run hot, prefer the loose fitting stuff.

Under Armour Hockey Compression Shirt - long sleeves with the grip on the chest, shoulders, & elbow areas (love the long sleeves & the grip print), Shock Doctor Ultra Shockskin Hockey Short with ultra carbon flex cup (extremely comfortable & seems to protect my hips when I fall), & Under Armour Hockey Liner Socks (black & white pairs - they're thin & pull up to just under my knee).

In the summer I don't wear baselayer stuff. In the fall/spring or winter, I have a large assortment of adidas techFit compression shirts and tights I wear. I wear adidas Team Speed socks under my skates. Perks of working for adidas, I usually get techFit for less than $10 a shirt and tights for around the same.

I recently started testing some merino wool base-layer stuff (longsleeve shirt, 3/4 pants), pretty common with skiers/alpinists around these parts. No smell, keeping me dry and warm even in could outdoor ice games, looking forward to testing it for inline as this stuff is supposed to keep your temperature regulated at cool as-well as hot environments.

-Long sleeve, moisture-wicking compression top in the winter, short sleeve loose moisture-wicking top in the summer

-Long moisture-wicking compression bottoms year round

-Over the calf thin socks

-Reebok jock/garter combo with a Shock Doctor Carbon Flex cup

I have several different brands of compression gear and socks. I prefer the "polo" top by Stanfield's in the winter, but also wear Reebok compression tops. I have a couple Under Armour loose charged cotton tees that I wear in the summer months. I like the warrior compression bottoms and I seem to prefer Under Armour socks. I'm not fussy about different combinations of gitch, the main thing is that it's clean. Nothing is worse than putting on a wet, smelly, or crusty compression top...

I've used 3/4 sleeve baseball shirts for as long as I can remember. Probably the one piece of gear, for me, that I have no interest in changing.

shirt.jpg

I'm wearing a Vic goalie long sleeve shirt under my gear. It has padding in the chest and lower back built in as well as wrist padding. It also has rubber on the arms to keep my elbow pads from sliding around. I don't always wear shoulder pads for my work pickup game so it's a nice compromise.

Starter compression pants, shock doctor loose fit jock over them. Up top usually either a loose fit long sleeve NHL reebok speedwick or a starter compression long sleeve. I like the Nike dri fit socks. Found them cheap at TJ maxx.

Why do guys wear base layer stuff at all? I've never understood the need for it, and this is a legitimate question.

I normally wear nothing but my underpants under all my gear, but this last week I decided it was a good idea to skate when I was sick. I bought a compression base layer shirt prior to the skate to prevent being too cold with my cold, and I was still a little too hot. I'm going to wear it again (because I bought the damn thing) just to see if it's for me, and because so many guys wear base layer stuff.

I'm thinking it's great for keeping your gear from being disgusting, since I did notice my shoulder pads were slightly drier than normal after I skated.

Why do guys wear base layer stuff at all? I've never understood the need for it, and this is a legitimate question.

I normally wear nothing but my underpants under all my gear, but this last week I decided it was a good idea to skate when I was sick. I bought a compression base layer shirt prior to the skate to prevent being too cold with my cold, and I was still a little too hot. I'm going to wear it again (because I bought the damn thing) just to see if it's for me, and because so many guys wear base layer stuff.

I'm thinking it's great for keeping your gear from being disgusting, since I did notice my shoulder pads were slightly drier than normal after I skated.

I wear base layers to both keep myself cool and wick away sweat. In games the pace is very fast so no matter if it's winter or summer sweating is a problem for me but not at all wearing the base layers.

I prefer the Under Armour heat gear, I wear long sleeves year round and usually shock dr compression shorts. If it were roller or pond hockey I'd be wearing something different but for normal rink play that's what I've standardized on for the past 6-7 years now.

I usually wear it because it helps keep the gear from getting nasty too quickly and because it helps keep wick the sweat. More of just a personal preference but I also don't like the feel of the pads in direct contact with the skin.

Polartec longsleeve undershirt with performance underwear under my Easton or Bauer loose-fit jock. Socks are a relatively thin sports performance sports sock.