Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruins309

Cooper SK 100 helmet (Eastern Airlines)

For some reason, I have an old school Cooper SK 100 helmet with an Eastern Airlines logo decal on the back and `Eastern decals on each side. It's basically brand new, I wouldn't be surprised if it's never been worn. I've seen em go for 3 or 400 bucks on eBay depending on which model and it's condition, but I don't know much about the helmet, other than it's billed as a hockey/skateboarding/hurling helmet. So I'll ask you all, what's the deal with this helmet? I'd post a pic if I could figure out how to do it, and overtime just started so I'm gonna watch that instead, cheers.

Apparently the Irish are making a modern version strictly for hurling? I'm trying to figure out which vintage models are the most valuable? Mine is old, in good shape and it's pretty unique compared to many of the ones I've been seeing online. Just not sure exactly how old and how much it's worth.

Hey Bruins309,

They are very popular in Ireland. Hurlers started wearing them around the 70s/80s and since then theyve progressively gotten more and more poular amungst players.

Since around 2010 its become mandatory for all hurlers to wear a helmet, so more and more people had been looking for the Cooper sk100s as most think it is the most comfartable helmet to wear and its one of the lighest, along with being the most adjustable size wise.

Someone bought the rights to the Cooper name in Ireland and they began to make new versions of the sk100, and altho they were very good, they were not the same, they were a slightly different spec and plastic used. Due to safety standards, they also recently had to change the shape of the helmet which is very different to the original sk100 helmet. It is now the cooper sk109m which can be seen in the link posted by Junkyard athletic.

People have paid large amounts for the sk100 helmets, but now as the safety regulations deemed cooper sk100s unsafe to wear, a player is now not insured for head injuries if they are wearing a cooper sk100. Now people are more reluctant to use them also there are a number of approved helmets available in Ireland to choose from, most of which are getting better and more comfortable. Also Ive seen a large increase in import costs from buying items from non eu countries so i think people are less likely to pay the large amounts they used to as they have to pay import charges also. But they are still very popular.

The jofa and canadian helmets of the same style seem to be getting more popular as a cheaper option to buying coopers as people have been asking large amounts for the sk100.

The jofa and canadians arnt as adjustable and as they have different padding, i think people dont see them as having the same comfort level.(Ive used both and like the jofa also, but had to drill extra size adjusting holes myself)

if you have any pics of the helmet you have though, would love to see what its like with the decal on it.

Hopefully i gave you a bit of help and understanding, from the hurling point of view anyway.

Isnt it hard to hurl with a facemask? I'd think it would get all over the mask and be pretty disgusting. If I have to hurl during a hockey game I always at least flip my mask up. ;)

jsykes, i had to read that more thimes then i should have to realise you ment getting sick =p

Do love the coopers sk100s, altho i couldnt imagine wearing it with one of the hockey face masks.

Getting one a blue one repadded and re stitched that i found in my neighbours shed a while back.