Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

strosedefence34

How accurate is the bauer skate sizing tool?

I was wondering how accurate the Bauer Plastic Skate Fit Gauge is?ScreenShot2014-02-17at55651PM_zps878863e

A little back story. I am currently in Bauer Supreme one 70s and with the current supremes dropping in price I was thinking about getting a new pair of skates (one.8 or one.9). My current skates are 8.5D however I feel I could possibly drop down a half size. When I have used this gauge at my LHS my biggest toe is just over the 8 not quite the 8.5 and the width of my foot measures an E based on the guide on the under side. In other threads on the forum I have read people have said that the Supreme D is really a E width. However when I try on an 8D my toes feel scrunched and there is a lot of pressure on the sides of my feet. When I try on an 8EE they feel better. I know I am gaining a fraction in the length area because of the wider heel. Mainly I am just wondering if after the skate is baked will the 8D open up more or should I go with an 8EE.

I'd always go with what feels better out of the box, so for you, the EE width. It also makes sense that the EE feels better since you're dropping down a half size.

I'm also getting a new pair of supremes and just wanted to ask what your shoe size is. I'm an 11.5D shoe and I thought a 9D fit me the best, which is a full size smaller than what size charts recommend (my LHS apparently doesn't have a brannock gauge, so it's a lot based on feel of different boot sizes). I want to make sure I'm not sizing myself up really badly.

Go with the EE if it feels more comfortable. Since the boots are relatively stiff, there won't be a whole lot of width expansion. Plus, you can always tighten the skate more if it's a bit too loose.

Also, I've never used the Bauer tool that you pictured. However, I did use the more traditional Bauer foot measurement tool (similar to this) and it was pretty accurate: brannock_device_sm.jpg

I find the blue plastic Bauer branded gauge to be the most accurate as well. The one I hate the most is the NBH branded blue one with different sizing for Supreme and Vapor.

IMO, the blue stick is more accurate than the Brannock, especially on small sizes.

I find the blue plastic Bauer branded gauge to be the most accurate as well. The one I hate the most is the NBH branded blue one with different sizing for Supreme and Vapor.

When fitting someone would you stick to what the measurement says or tell them to go with what is more comfortable? See we have a bunch of LHS in the area, but I have been to them all and just never seemed to get a good skate fitting vibe from. That is why a few months back I opened up a topic to ask what skate fitters do. So I can see if I am just expecting too much from them.

When fitting someone would you stick to what the measurement says or tell them to go with what is more comfortable? See we have a bunch of LHS in the area, but I have been to them all and just never seemed to get a good skate fitting vibe from. That is why a few months back I opened up a topic to ask what skate fitters do. So I can see if I am just expecting too much from them.

Comfort is pretty subjective though. I find most people are good with telling you when the skates are too small opposed to too large. I've seen many people (both kids and adults) with skates that are too large for them just because they were "comfortable" since nothing pushed against their feet. Another good idea is to pull out the foot bed to see how much space you have. It should be minimal at best.

The measuring gauge is a good approximation but I've seen people go 1/2 to 1 size smaller than that even (depending on brand as well.) A good skate fitter should ask you for relevant feedback to get a better feel of what will and won't work with your feet. (Ex. if your foot feels too wide for a Bauer Supreme boot I would probably not suggest a Graf 703)

Have you tried on the Supreme D width after it was baked? I'm skating in the NXG right now which didn't feel great out of the box or after the first bake. It took a couple bakes and a bit of punching before I swapped over from my original Total Ones. You might be in the same boat if you're looking at the ONE.8/ONE.9 since they're quite stiff boots as well.

Is it possible to purchase one of the bauer measurement sticks?

Not sure if your local shop would order it in for you but it is an available SKU in the Bauer catalog. Best to ask, worst they can do is say no.

Comfort is pretty subjective though. I find most people are good with telling you when the skates are too small opposed to too large. I've seen many people (both kids and adults) with skates that are too large for them just because they were "comfortable" since nothing pushed against their feet. Another good idea is to pull out the foot bed to see how much space you have. It should be minimal at best.

The measuring gauge is a good approximation but I've seen people go 1/2 to 1 size smaller than that even (depending on brand as well.) A good skate fitter should ask you for relevant feedback to get a better feel of what will and won't work with your feet. (Ex. if your foot feels too wide for a Bauer Supreme boot I would probably not suggest a Graf 703)

Have you tried on the Supreme D width after it was baked? I'm skating in the NXG right now which didn't feel great out of the box or after the first bake. It took a couple bakes and a bit of punching before I swapped over from my original Total Ones. You might be in the same boat if you're looking at the ONE.8/ONE.9 since they're quite stiff boots as well.

Not sure if your local shop would order it in for you but it is an available SKU in the Bauer catalog. Best to ask, worst they can do is say no.

currently my one 70s are a D which if I remember after the first bake still seemed tight, but now over 2 years later they are fine. I guess I am not so concerned with the width as I am length. When I have the 8D on I feel like my toes are scrunched up at the top of the skate appose to the 8EE. So i'm wondering if with the larger heel pocket i am gaining that fraction of a space between crunched and feathering. I guess what I am trying to say is an 8 1/4 D supreme would probably fit perfect, but like many people I have other expenses in life and cannot afford customs.

^^ Looking at that footbed I'd say you're on the right track trying to go down half a size. I measure pretty much spot on a 7 1/2 on the Bauer gauge, I can fit the thickness of 1 or 2 coins between the tip of my toes and the end of the foot bed (measured from my second toe, since it is the longest.)

Going to a wider width MAY give you a little bit more length depending on the size of your ankle/heel. Do you feel that your heel is reaching all the way to the back of the boot or do the ankle pads/heel pocket push it forward slightly?

Put the skate on, tie it up, stand up on it. A good fit should have your big toe brushing the front toe cap, without any excess pressure on the ball of your foot. This should cover both the length and width of the skate in the most common problem areas.

I always measure first, but trust what the customer is telling me to adjust sizing/models.

You could also check for the wear marks on your current foot bed to show wear your foot is applying the most pressure/wear to the most pressure and wear by the discoloration.

^^ Looking at that footbed I'd say you're on the right track trying to go down half a size. I measure pretty much spot on a 7 1/2 on the Bauer gauge, I can fit the thickness of 1 or 2 coins between the tip of my toes and the end of the foot bed (measured from my second toe, since it is the longest.)

Going to a wider width MAY give you a little bit more length depending on the size of your ankle/heel. Do you feel that your heel is reaching all the way to the back of the boot or do the ankle pads/heel pocket push it forward slightly?

When I try on the 8D it doesn't feel like my heel is all the way back but with the 8EE I would say yes. I know its tough to do fitting through pictures and all so I really appreciate all the help everyone is giving. Its sad to say in my area we have at least 5 LHS and I don't think any of them could fit people properly.

EDIT:

Would the heel on the 8D open up a bit with a bake? Or is it suggested if I can't get it back all the way without a bake to just go with the wider heel.

If you pull out the inners of a D and EE skate, you will see that the EE is between 1mm - 2mm longer. When I looked into this, I pulled out a range of skates and skate sizes from 7 to 11, Bauer and Easton, and they were all pretty much consistent in different lengths between the widths. To anyone who has access to a gauge in a shop, what I didn't look at at the time was how the two relate, is the gauge measurement set to a D or EE length or somewhere in between?

So not only are EE slightly wider, they are also slightly longer hence you feel you have a little bit more room in them.

If you pull out the inners of a D and EE skate, you will see that the EE is between 1mm - 2mm longer. When I looked into this, I pulled out a range of skates and skate sizes from 7 to 11, Bauer and Easton, and they were all pretty much consistent in different lengths between the widths. To anyone who has access to a gauge in a shop, what I didn't look at at the time was how the two relate, is the gauge measurement set to a D or EE length or somewhere in between?

So not only are EE slightly wider, they are also slightly longer hence you feel you have a little bit more room in them.

Yeah I haven't done that much research and honestly that 1mm - 2mm I think is all I really need. Like I said with the 8D my toes are scrunched with the 8EE my toes are feathering. If I feel like I cannot get my heel into the heel pocket without a bake should I go with the EE for the winder heel as well? Or would the heels open up with a bake?

The heels will open up slightly with a bake and wear in, you generally sit about 1mm further back into the heel once the skates are broken in.

Excellent question and one that is crying out for a solution across all brands.

Graf do, it's part of their 3D fit. On the experience I have had previously with other brands and csr's, good luck on finding someone who has the skills or even nous to do this.

Excellent question and one that is crying out for a solution across all brands.

Graf do, it's part of their 3D fit. On the experience I have had previously with other brands and csr's, good luck on finding someone who has the skills or even nous to do this.

haha thanks. When someone gets a pair of custom skates made for them do they just guess? Or is it similar to the VH where they trace your foot and take measurements?

I've never had the joy of custom hockey skates. I've had Bont speed skates and they build customs based on your foot shape which you can either trace and send to them or get to bont where they will make a mould.