Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zjack38

summer jobs?

So my parents are making me pay for most of my hockey next year (4000$$$) and its already making me think wheres somewhere I can work at that pays a decent amount? Im thinking like a movie theater? So what would you guys reccomend as a good job for a 15 year old?

Service jobs, general labour, unskilled or low skilled.

Work multiple jobs, so you have work everyday or stand in for an adult position.
You can find work strangest place so ask all companies and buisness's close to you, all you can get is a no.

There may not be many options for you, depending on what the job market looks like where you are. Movie theater is good, and like Morten says, unskilled, especially service jobs. Another option is to see if, say, a co-worker or friend of a parent might want an office-gopher for the summer. Mow lawns (a lot of lawns) if that's a thing where you live. Some medical research studies. (look on the website of the local Children's Hospital).

Good luck. :)

Bussing tables, might be able to make decent money if the place does pooled tips, and work your way up to waiting tables as you get older.

I used to make extra money doing pet-sitting for neighbors when I was in high school. But I grew up in the city in an apartment building, so lots of potential "clients" in a small space.

how old are you? do you like being outside? do you like working hard or taking it easy? do you want a physical job or a lazy job?

Im 15 (turing 16 this july) I want the easiest job possible that will earn me the most money, because im going to be working out a lot over the summer. Also I think that ill ump some local little league games for a bit if money.

While I get that you want the easiest job possible to make the most money, you should also realize that if you wanted to, you could absolutely get more experience out of this first job for your future later on. You'd be surprised at the little things you can learn when you work an entry job if you care to pay attention to such things.

My first job was also at 16, working produce at a local supermarket over the summer. My department boss was like the Gordon Ramsey of produce LOL, he was an absolute hardass about a lot of things, but I realized that he was pro, and had high standards for whatever he did, even if it was just the fruits & veggies section. I learned to respect that and appreciate the attitude.

While mine was a more run-of-the-mill front lines job, I also like badger's idea of working in an office. Yeah it sounds boring, but if there's an opportunity for you to work in a 'prestigious' place like a bank or some multinational firm, don't hesitate to seize that chance! There's a whole world of business and industry you could be exposed to that you otherwise wouldn't have if you simply reffed kids sports all summer (though that is not too shabby of course, in dealing with other people lol). Who says you can't do both right? Spend some time outside and some time inside with A/C haha

Im 15 (turing 16 this july) I want the easiest job possible that will earn me the most money, because im going to be working out a lot over the summer. Also I think that ill ump some local little league games for a bit if money.

That's a bad attitude to have. Hopefully you grow up soon.

I want the easiest job possible that will earn me the most money

I'm pushing 50....I want one of these also...I mean it would be nice if someone would just pay me 100k to stay home. I could play dropin everyday.

That's a bad attitude to have. Hopefully you grow up soon.

Not a bad attititude, im just going to be busy all summer, I guess I mean the job that takes the least amount of energy, but still pays well. I dont want to tire myself out to much. I still need enough energy so I can get in shape, practice off ice, etc. I cant do that with a job like lets say landscaping.

Most importantly, I want a job thats fun such as umping little league. But little league doesnt pay well soooooo yeah.

Not a bad attititude, im just going to be busy all summer, I guess I mean the job that takes the least amount of energy, but still pays well. I dont want to tire myself out to much. I still need enough energy so I can get in shape, practice off ice, etc. I cant do that with a job like lets say landscaping.

Most importantly, I want a job thats fun such as umping little league. But little league doesnt pay well soooooo yeah.

Definitely a bad attitude. Learn a little work ethic now and it'll pay dividends the rest of your life. You're 15, you'll hardly burn yourself out having a manual labor job, and you'll have plenty of time to hit the gym etc.

Landscapers and county parks always hire young seasonal work. Grocery stores are a good place to start as well. Good luck, and keep in mind that the job is priority #1.

IMHO, the so-called "work ethic" is overrated, no offense intended to anybody who still holds to that as a value. The best motivation for working hard is that the particular work involved is a step toward a specific longer-term goal or that the particular work accomplishes something of real value by the nature of that work. That's not to say that it's a good idea to have a lousy attitude at any job or to be a screw-up, but there's really no point to being the best movie usher or waiter in the world. I agree with the kid that (most) work is a means to an end: namely, supporting your needs financially. At 16, I spent the summer getting paid to be a camp counselor and instructor at a summer camp that also had a small hockey program. How 'bout that? Nowadays, it might be harder to get an instructor gig, given the quality of summer hockey camps, but they have plenty of ancillary jobs you might be able to do at a hockey camp and also get in a lotta ice time.

So you are essentially looking for a handout. At least you are honest about it. For perspective, you need to make $4,000 and you have roughly 3 months to do so (June, July, and August), which works out to about $8.50 an hour working 40 hours a week before taxes. To realistically reach your goal you should start working or find another source of income immediately.

My first job was also at 16, working produce at a local supermarket over the summer. My department boss was like the Gordon Ramsey of produce LOL, he was an absolute hardass about a lot of things, but I realized that he was pro, and had high standards for whatever he did, even if it was just the fruits & veggies section. I learned to respect that and appreciate the attitude.

Aireaye - I had the same job and exact same kinda boss. Boy that job taught me a lot about work and myself.

Zjack - I got my first job at 14. It was working at the local grocery store in the produce section. I worked here for a year and a half. At 16 I got hired at the best real estate brokerage in Ontario (#1 for top producing agents in Canada). I have worked here ever since. I totally understand your idea of finding the easiest job for the most amount of money possible. This isn't a great moral to have, but at your age I understand.

I don't know you or what you are like but I can offer some suggestions. You have to forget this thought that you want an easy job because it will not tire you out - you are a young kid and you won't get tired out...that I can promise you. Even if you go to the gym for 789 hours a day and work you won't be tired, you will be fine.

If you like being outside think about getting a job at a golf course. Golf courses are great jobs for kids...you wake up early go to work and finish your day at like noon or 2ish. Early mornings are great...best part of the day in my opinion on the golf course, you get fresh air, enjoy the summer, Its not really labor intensive. At your age likely you would be washing carts or something along those lines. Early mornings mean you put in a full days work and still can get out do the things you want to do.

Not everyone likes to work in a business environment. You have to wear dress clothes and act professionally which I'm assuming doesn't interest you - correct me if I'm wrong. These jobs, if you can find anyone who will take you seriously at your age, usually pay the best and will most likely secure you a position in years to come.

I still feel the golf courses are your best bet or one of the best options because its seasonal and you can return every summer if you desire and will most likely move up and get paid more and more and more each year. I like the golf idea because I've played golf my whole life. If you aren't familiar with golf this might not interest you. If you do play golf or enjoy golf working at a golf course usually means you can play for free too! BONUS.

there's really no point to being the best movie usher or waiter in the world.

Totally disagree. Here's why:

I grew up always having jobs. I sang in a church choir as a kid, and we were paid a stipend. I was fortunate enough to have a good voice after my voice changed, and to develop my talent so that by the time I was an upperclassman in high school, I was singing nearly on par (and paid nearly on par) with the professional adult singers. But, during the summer, one of the the church's caretakers would go on vacation for 5 weeks. Since I had been around a long time and was a responsible kid, I got to do his gig. I didn't make a ton of money ($6 an hour in the mid late 90's - pretty much minimum wage) but I worked 3 10-hour days a week and busted my ass to do the job right and well.

When I was a senior in HS, a buddy of mine had a job at a little store in the neighborhood - stocking, deli counter, doing dishes, etc. (they did one prepare dinner a night that people could take home). Now my buddy was a total stoner, and after I'd stopped by a few times while he was working, one of the part-owners got my number form somebody and one day when my friend was too baked to work, he got sent home and dude called me to come in. This turned into me working one evening a week, and eventually taking over my friend's two evenings also. The money was nothing ($5 an hour cash off the books) but hey, $20 I wasn't going to have otherwise. I worked hard there. The store went out of business, but when I finished my senior year I got a call from the former owner - he also was staff manager at a restaurant downtown. And, boom, there was my summer job as a busboy/delivery boy, which turned into a full-time year-round job when I decided to defer college for a year. One of my regular delivery customers was one of the guys who created 'Blue Man Group' and he offered to hook me up with a job ushering at the show in Boston when I was leaving to go to school there. I also went back to the restaurant as a waiter the summer after my freshman year of college.

But here's where it get's really interesting - the guy who hired me at the store and then the restaurant, became a friend. We had a mutual interest in classical music and singing, and he got me to join a chorus he was singing in at the time. We stayed in touch a bit, and when I finished college he had been able to get out of the restaurant world and had a great job working in the education dept. at Carnegie Hall, and also a part-time gig as the administrative manager of another choir. He got me a paid gig as a section leader with the choir he managed and was a reference for me as I searched for full-time jobs in music administration. AND when the job I had gotten wasn't working out, it was a mutual acquaintance of ours from the choir we both sang in whose recommendation helped me get an interview and ultimately a job offer with a major music publisher where she worked as an editor. I ended up having to turn it down b/c they needed me to start on a very specific day which would have screwed my then-employer, and I couldn't bring myself to do that, which incidentally also turned out to be the right call b/c that would have been a burnt bridge and I've had contact with a lot of people from that organization over time.

Maybe I'm tooting my own horn too loudly, but the pattern of being re-hired and recommended by past employers is a direct result of always making the effort to do an exceptional job. The point of all this is - no matter what your job is, in your first work experiences, you will meet people and make impressions, and you don't know to what extent the relationships you forge will be able to help you in the future. Just because being a busboy doesn't sound exciting and isn't what you'd want to be doing forever doesn't mean it's not worth doing. Hell, there are waiters in fine dining restaurants who make quite good money, and work fairly minimal hours. You have to start somewhere with something, and you can't know where it's going to take you.

Also - let's put this in perspective. An adult who wanted a job that paid $40,000 and involved sitting at a desk over a job that paid $35,000 and required physical labor wouldn't be taken to task for his "attitude" - he'd be considered smart by most people. Work with your brain and not with your back and all that. Let's not assume that someone has a terrible attitude based on his following conventional wisdom.

To the OP: That said, you are not likely to find a dream job at 15-16. It sounds like you don't have much work experience, and most entry-level jobs I can think of require you to be on your feet at the very least, if not moving and lifting things. And, being entry level, most of them don't pay a lot. If you have a skill that can get you more money, then use it. If you can offer a service for pay (like, I don't know, web design, photography, tutoring to a younger student in a subject you have mastery of, whatever...) then that is what will get you more money for your time spent. However, i'd recommend also having "regular" job as the hours will be steady and you can usually fit in service-based stuff on the side. You'll develop more skills that way too.

A last thought that just popped into my head - if you have the chops and can get certified (or don't need certification), try to get a gig as a lifeguard at a pool. Pay is generally a step or two up from most teenage jobs, and you mostly just sit and watch.

Great post, definitely a matter of 'who you know' for sure. Some industries are close-knit and if you get a poor reputation, it is very difficult to shake off.

Lifeguarding is a great idea if you can get the certs. Many of my friends had that gig with the city or private pools (condos) and it's a rather laid back job (with responsibility) that paid well.

IMHO, the so-called "work ethic" is overrated, no offense intended to anybody who still holds to that as a value. The best motivation for working hard is that the particular work involved is a step toward a specific longer-term goal or that the particular work accomplishes something of real value by the nature of that work. That's not to say that it's a good idea to have a lousy attitude at any job or to be a screw-up, but there's really no point to being the best movie usher or waiter in the world.

That's just a ridiculous statement. I don't care what walk of life you choose, learning to work hard means someone will always be willing to hire you.

I think everyone wants an easy job that pays well. Unfortunately, you're only 15 and don't really have any stand out skill sets for those "easy" jobs.

Also, landscaping gets you in shape. Manual labor in general will get you in better shape than spending 2 hours at the gym shooting the shit with your boys. Don't forget, a lot of the old school hockey players spent their summers working on the farm.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to make as much as you can in a given situation. Everyone wants the biggest check they can get, everyone. However, looking to do the least amount of work is absolutely the wrong way to go through life. As with anything else, you should be willing to work hard to get what you want. It doesn't mean you have to take a minimum wage job or expect to work 100 hours a week. All I'm saying is work hard at whatever it is you do.

I do agree that doing landscaping is a great way to work out while getting paid. I've had friends that and they always get ripped over the summer.

I can understand why the OP would want to get a job 'with the least amount of work' since he's planning on training to make the most of the $4000 he's going to earn and then spend on his hockey. Also, he's 15, not 35. Things like 'Work ethic' and 'being realistic' are lessons he'll learn in the very near future (maybe even this summer), but I wouldn't fault him for not having that perspective right now.

It might be more helpful for the OP to think about the time commitment and nature of the work. Physical labor like landscaping or construction is demanding, but you're doing hands-on things and working out at the same time. It's not 9 to 5 and you won't have to hit the gym as often because of all the exercise you're getting.

Working in an office is (in most cases) really boring, bad for your posture and won't help you become a better athlete. It will probably be difficult to get any kind of an office job as a 15 year-old with no special qualifications or connections. You have the rest of your life to work in an office, no need to rush into it now. Don't get a sitting-based job if you can help it.

Lifeguarding could be a good option. So is working in a sports camp with kids - it'll teach you leadership skills and patience, both very useful traits when hockey season starts.

For what it's worth, when I was 15, I worked for my dad at his restaurant (for new hockey gear, so it came out to like $2 an hour over a summer, which obviously I wasn't happy about). A few times a week I'd take a bus to the suburbs to work as a shooter at an ex-NHLer's goalie camp. That job was unpaid but it got me a ton of free ice time to work on my game, so it was well worth it in the end.

IMHO, the so-called "work ethic" is overrated, no offense intended to anybody who still holds to that as a value.

The "work ethic" is always important.

First, it's a sign of your integrity, that even when you don't really like a job and haven't yet found a better one, you recognize that you still owe the person paying money a fair effort. More importantly, if you think about it, there's a pyramid of jobs out there, where rising up leads to better pay and generally less tedious work. Who gets to move higher up the pyramid? Well, it obviously is decided by those people who make the hiring decisions for the jobs that are further up the rungs. So are they going to hire the person whose attitude conveys "What's in it for me?" or the person who always gives solid effort (even if they don't really like the work)?

Put this into the world of hockey. You possibly have enough talent to make it to college or juniors, but your current coach doesn't recognize that and buries you on the third line. You sulk and don't give much effort, then knock on the doors of junior coaches. They ask for video. Do you want them to see a lazy player or do you want them to say, "Why was this kid buried on the third line??"

The "work ethic" is always important.

First, it's a sign of your integrity, that even when you don't really like a job and haven't yet found a better one, you recognize that you still owe the person paying money a fair effort. More importantly, if you think about it, there's a pyramid of jobs out there, where rising up leads to better pay and generally less tedious work. Who gets to move higher up the pyramid? Well, it obviously is decided by those people who make the hiring decisions for the jobs that are further up the rungs. So are they going to hire the person whose attitude conveys "What's in it for me?" or the person who always gives solid effort (even if they don't really like the work)?

Put this into the world of hockey. You possibly have enough talent to make it to college or juniors, but your current coach doesn't recognize that and buries you on the third line. You sulk and don't give much effort, then knock on the doors of junior coaches. They ask for video. Do you want them to see a lazy player or do you want them to say, "Why was this kid buried on the third line??"

Jason, I agree with your overall point, but I thought I'd throw in my two cent about this part: "there's a pyramid of jobs out there, where rising up leads to better pay and generally less tedious work."

I think that assumption could be misleading. A family friend is the founder of a multi-million-dollar business, and he once told me that he considered his job akin to that of a babysitter - making sure everybody working below him is happy and has the resources to move the business forward. He considered that extremely tedious, and put in more than his share of hours. I look at the people working with me, and it seems that the work becomes more multifaceted and time-consuming the higher you go. On a day to day basis, for sure I have a lot less to worry about then the people working 1, 2 or 3 levels up from me.

To go back to your hockey example, the higher up you go on the ladder, the higher the stakes and the tougher the environment. If you play college or semi-pro hockey, it might be a part-time thing which lets you study, have other jobs or go out with friends whenever you want, but when you're in the NHL, it's a 24/7 commitment that requires you to have natural talent, desire and the work ethic to make it all come together. The pay reflects that, and I think it's the same in most industries. It's not a must to have that to get rich in business, but easy come, easy go.

I agree, jackal, with one qualifier. Years ago when I had a corporate job, an older woman told me she had learned over time that every job has its dreg tasks, even the President's. So regardless what zJack finds over the summer, he'll need to realize they all have parts that stink.

But taking it away from the question of summer jobs, and talking about jobs in general, I'd spin it into something that I've learned over the years. It's still better to move up the ladder, because while you might become saddled with more responsibility, at least you typically will be given more authority to compel those below you to help.

Working in an office is (in most cases) really boring, bad for your posture and won't help you become a better athlete. It will probably be difficult to get any kind of an office job as a 15 year-old with no special qualifications or connections. You have the rest of your life to work in an office, no need to rush into it now. Don't get a sitting-based job if you can help it.

To clarify, when I said office, I meant less traditional office work and more like being someone's office gopher, like for a friend's parent or something, possibly under the table rather than formal paychecks. You know, xerox, fetch coffee, deliver messages.

zJack, you might be too young for this (not sure, it's been a while) but a job with an environmental group, like Sierra Club, which is essentially a door-to-door membership drive. Go out to locations (in a group), walk around giving a spiel to residents, make a base salary and commission. If you're good at being a salesperson, it's decent pay in a fairly short amount of time.

I also second the suggestions of being a lifeguard or a camp counselor/junior counselor.