Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swineanddine

Help with flex!

Hey guys,

I'm just about to put in an order for a couple of sticks. This is my second ever stick purchase so I'm still a bit unsure about what I'm after exactly.

I'm about 6'4", about 96kg (211lbs), not the strongest guy though.

I currently use a 100 flex Mako that's extended by 2 or 3 inches.

Anyway I'm looking at getting a Warrior of some nature because it's got the extra inches and I won't need a butt plug, however I'm wondering about flex. I feel as though I'm not getting enough out of the flex on my 100flex, so sould I go an 85flex?

I usually play D, so I do take some slappers but I also like to try to sneak up the slot for a wrist or snap shot.

Has anyone got any advice for me before I place the order?

Also any recommended curves from the Warrior range. Was thinking Burrows but I'm worried it will be a bit short on the poke check.

Cheers

I highly recommend trying a teammates stick, or at least purchase a relatively inexpensive stick at a lower flex to see how it feels.

I've always been told "use a flex 1/2 your body weight" as a rule-of-thumb, but really it's all personal preference. The fact that you feel that your 100 flex Mako is too stiff should be all the info you need. If it's not comfortable for you, then go lower ;)

Also keep in mind where a stick's flex point is. A low-flex feels very different (softer, in my opinion) than a mid-flex. Mid-flex sticks are supposed to be better for those who take a lot of slap shots and require more time to load the shaft, whereas low-flex sticks are for quicker, yet not as powerful shots. You can still take slap shots with a low-flex, but the velocity gains won't be quite as high.

Also any recommended curves from the Warrior range. Was thinking Burrows but I'm worried it will be a bit short on the poke check

Personally I wouldn't worry about worry too much about that. I use an Easton P4 which if I'm not mistaken is a Burrows clone (or vice versa, depending on which way you look at it) and I have no problem with reach. I play a similar style of D as you, and P4s are killer snipes IMO. That being said, 1) I use a pretty short stick for a D (shoulder length approximately) and reach isn't up there on my concern list and 2) Hockey Monkey says the Burrows has a short blade, although IW has it at medium. In the end it all goes to personal opinions like the other poster said.

Sweet thanks for the replies.

I'll see if anyone was an 85 flex at training this week before I make my order. If not I might get one of each. I got the cash, may as well experiment.

Might go with the Burrows on your advice also. That's all I needed to hear really.

Cheers

85 Flex might be too much flex for you, especially if you plan on adding an extension. You may want to try to find a 90 or 95 flex.

For every ±2 inches, there will be an ±8 flex change. Your 100 Flex Mako is more like a 88-92 flex. If you jump down to a 85 flex, you're looking at a 74-78 flex with an extension.

Well I won't add an extension to a Warrior stick because it's already 63". However I have heard that they base their measurements on sticks cut to 60" or something (don't know if that's accurate). If that is the case a 100flex would be more like a 95 or something which is probably what my current stick might be at with a plug in it.

Maybe the 100flex is the go.

The best option is to see if you can use an 85 that's close to the length that you use. That said, if you don't think you're getting enough zip on your shot, an 85 is probably the right thing to try next. It really has nothing to do with size or strength, it's about how well you transfer energy through the stick. There is nothing wrong with using a whippier stick, more pros use less than 100 flex than those that use 100+ flex sticks

As for Warrior curves, I love the Kovalchuk- closed face, decent sized mid curve, medium size.

As for flex, I was using a 102 flex TotalOne tapered shaft and was definitely not getting the most out of it. Sure, in warm ups I was firing rocket slapshots, but in games, when going for quick release wristers (which is mostly what I take), there was nothing on it.

So, switched to 85 flex Mako II Pro stock shaft and I get nice velocity on the quick release wristers now. Sure, my slap shots in warm ups are not scaring anyone, but who cares? I play Forward and rarely have space to unleash slapshots anyway.

I am similar size as you- 6'2, 215 lbs, pretty strong, but do not work out anymore (I just play hockey for exercise these days). Could be stronger if I hit the gym to supplement the hockey "workout," just do not enjoy going to the gym much.

As for which Warrior stick to buy (Dynasty or Covert, I am assuming are your choices), I spoke with Keith from Warrior about the Covert flex ratings, and he said that the dagger taper makes the bottom of the shaft seem whippier, and some guys reported that they prefer higher flexes to maintain puck handling control. I have never tried the Warrior sticks (I just use their Dynasty blades), so I cannot say how the dagger taper feels for stickhandling, but it is something to consider. I think if you go with a Dynasty stick, then the flex ratings will just be normal feeling.

Thanks for the insights.

Being fairly new to hockey I obviously don't have the greatest shot. I try to work on form, mimicking the videos I've seen. With that in mind would you guys recommend perhaps the 85 for the purpose of allowing me to utilise stick flex properly with a bit more ease before possibly returning to 100flex as I improve?

Regarding covert vs dynasty, I was aware of this. Hockey Monkey just dropped the price on last year model DT1s so I was seriously considering that. Is what you're implying about a dagger taper that a 100flex dt would feel whippier than a 100flex mid-flex??

Thanks for the insights.

Being fairly new to hockey I obviously don't have the greatest shot. I try to work on form, mimicking the videos I've seen. With that in mind would you guys recommend perhaps the 85 for the purpose of allowing me to utilise stick flex properly with a bit more ease before possibly returning to 100flex as I improve?

Regarding covert vs dynasty, I was aware of this. Hockey Monkey just dropped the price on last year model DT1s so I was seriously considering that. Is what you're implying about a dagger taper that a 100flex dt would feel whippier than a 100flex mid-flex??

I do not see why you would need to switch to 100 flex "when you get better." Just go with what works. For me, I like to know that if I am off balance or lacking time & space, that I can rocket one off with my 85 flex. If I were better, then I still do not think I could fire zingers from my 102 flex, when in compromised positions of lack of balance/ crowded space/ etc.

I think that what Keith was saying, is that you might wanna consider increasing flex with the Covert, as the bottom of the stick (where the dagger taper is) will feel less whippy, and make stick handling easier. So, if I were you (or me, because we seem to be in the same boat), then I would go 85 flex with Dynasty; and then I am not sure what I would go with in Covert (either 85 or 100; maybe a pro stock around a 90 if you can find it on eBay- but Warrior does their pro stock flex ratings real funny, so good luck figuring it out.) But, I would personally prefer the Covert (in whatever flex works), as I prefer quick release (low kick) over powerful shot (mid kick) every time. But, no one out here has Covert sticks, so I just stick with what I got (85 flex Mako II/ 87 flex TotalOnes).

Ok I think from these bits of advice you guys are giving me I might go a 100flex Covert. If the taper gives it a nice whippy feel down low then that may be good for me without being too bendy. If it's too stiff I'll go to the gym and stop being such a pussy.

Sweet thanks for the replies.

I'll see if anyone was an 85 flex at training this week before I make my order. If not I might get one of each. I got the cash, may as well experiment.

Might go with the Burrows on your advice also. That's all I needed to hear really.

Cheers

That might be your best bet, and then just sell the one you do not like, or keep it as a back up or for experimenting or whatever. Interested to see what you think about the whippiness of the dagger taper, if you get both 85 and 100 flex. If I were to go OPS, then Covert w/ Kovalchuk curve is definitely the route I would go. I am such a hack though, that it is hard to justify going OPS.

If it's too stiff I'll go to the gym and stop being such a pussy.

With that in mind would you guys recommend perhaps the 85 for the purpose of allowing me to utilise stick flex properly with a bit more ease before possibly returning to 100flex as I improve?

There are guys in the NHL who use a 75 flex. It's not about being strong or being good, it's about the form and technique you use. If you're having to power to the stick with all muscle, you're doing it wrong. Sticks are tools. Many of them are finely engineered tools, and it takes some time and patience to learn to use them. If you're paying for engineered kick points that add extra to your shot, learn to use the stick so that you're getting the most out of it.

If you're planning on buying two sticks, why not just buy one, in an 85 flex, and see how you like it. If it works, get another one. If you don't like it, move back to the 100. Yeah, you'll have to pay for shipping twice, but that's cheaper than being stuck with a stick that you don't like.

back in college i was using 102 flex. That stick broke and I went to a 87 flex used that for years. This passed summer I wanted to try a 77 flex I found the 77 flex to have too much whip so I went back to the 87. I am 5'10" 175LB

Ok I think from these bits of advice you guys are giving me I might go a 100flex Covert. If the taper gives it a nice whippy feel down low then that may be good for me without being too bendy.

The dagger taper is nice, you can get away a hard shot without having to really lay into it. Very nice pop on half power shots.

what if i were to say that, on Hockey Monkey (which is where I'm placing this order), they don't have a DT1 Covert in either grip of non-grip in a 100flex with a curve that I like?

But they have 85flex Burrows...

This is not a decision i can make easily. I'm about to go for a stick and puck session I might see if i can find a nice long 85flex getting around for a quick test...

EDIT: however, they do have a Warrior Widow in 100 flex Burrows, even cheaper (older model), still a true one piece, dagger taper/low kick...is an option if they have two of them in stock.

what if i were to say that, on Hockey Monkey (which is where I'm placing this order), they don't have a DT1 Covert in either grip of non-grip in a 100flex with a curve that I like?

But they have 85flex Burrows...

This is not a decision i can make easily. I'm about to go for a stick and puck session I might see if i can find a nice long 85flex getting around for a quick test...

EDIT: however, they do have a Warrior Widow in 100 flex Burrows, even cheaper (older model), still a true one piece, dagger taper/low kick...is an option if they have two of them in stock.

Have you tried Burrows?

I used Ignila, which is similar, and found it to be difficult to stickhandle with. I think you need to be a real precision type stick handler (not novice, like us) to get away with a small blade/ small curve.

Shallow curves are also harder to generate hard wrist shots with. It is just physics. Having the puck go deeper into a curve and then propelling it out will lead to better velocity, on wrist shots. Not sure if it matters for slaps and snaps.

Have you tried Burrows?

I used Ignila, which is similar, and found it to be difficult to stickhandle with. I think you need to be a real precision type stick handler (not novice, like us) to get away with a small blade/ small curve.

Shallow curves are also harder to generate hard wrist shots with. It is just physics. Having the puck go deeper into a curve and then propelling it out will lead to better velocity, on wrist shots. Not sure if it matters for slaps and snaps.

Well its all a balancing act when it comes to curves. Obviously every curve is going to excel in areas and fall short in others. I was looking at that stick because I do more passing than anything and I rarely shoot from in close so i don't need the loft. I also take a lot of passes on the backhand as I often have to play left d when i'm a righty. I figured the shallower heel curve with a slight open face would probably suit my role but again, like anything, i'm open to suggestions.

I currently use an Easton Hall. I'm comfortable with it, it's my first stick so it's all i know and I'd happily stick with it but all the clearance Warrior sticks don't have the Kopitar curve available in a lie 4 and i need that lower lie.

I am the same height and weight as you and was having trouble flexing my 110 flex pro stock dolo and recently bought a warrior 85 flex. The length is perfect so no end plug needed and I'm loving the flex now. It may be a bit light but my shots have more zip and I can finally feel the stick flexing. As my shooting and skating get better I may bump up the flex then but the 85 is perfect for now.

Also don't feel bad about reducing flex, there was recently a thread here about kessel using a 70 or so flex. It comes down to what works with your shot and the 100 doesn't seem to be working for you now

I might stick with the 100 and just work harder on getting my technique right. I was playing last night and I was concentrating on getting flex into it and it seemed to make a difference.

I might stick with the 100 and just work harder on getting my technique right. I was playing last night and I was concentrating on getting flex into it and it seemed to make a difference.

Placed my order a few hours ago.

I went with a Warrior Widow grip 100 flex Burrows. I got two of them on sale. Also got some CCM U+ CL skates.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread to help me make my decision.

Keep an eye on that blade for the first 30 days. I bought two widows on clearance last year and they both had issues with the blades coming apart on the bottom edge after 2-3 games. Warrior was cool about it and warrantied both of them and I ended up receiving DT1's for them so I was happy!