Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hc1969

Supreme vs. Vapor Skate Widths

So my LHS doesn't stock all the widths in the skates I'm looking at so I thought I would post this to all of you and get your take and knowledge. I was trying on a Supreme One.7 and Vapor X70 in a size 5.5 and they only had the D widths in both skates. The One.7 seemed to fit snug right out of the box, maybe a bit too snug and the X70 definitely were pinching my forefoot area even without them laced up. There was another Vapor (I forget which model) in a EE width but it seemed to be a bit loose and I'm wondering how a Supreme EE width would fit me. Is the Vapor D width the narrowest of the two skates and the Supreme EE width the widest with Supreme D width being the second narrowest and the Vapor EE width the second widest? Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

You've got it right. Supreme EE would probably be way too wide for you.

Also the snug fit out of the box will probably expand a bit with a bake if it actually is too snug.

Snug is good, as long as it's not too tight and overly pinching any part of your foot. Lace it up again, bend your knees and lean slightly forward and see if you get any lace bite (pain at the top of the foot). If so, it's probably too small and/or not deep enough for your foot.

If you have any pain on the bottom of your feet, then you can always swap out the Bauer insole for an aftermarket insole. Baking is also going to help form the boot around the foot, but don't expect a whole lot more room length-wise, but more so, width-wise.

You can also try the pencil test, which seems to help a lot of people: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/35455-the-pencil-test/page-4#entry736857 (just to add: if you can fit a finger behind the pencil and your foot, then the boot is too large/too deep).

If the volume and length are good in a D size (EE adds a little bit more length), then get the boot that fits you best around the ankle area and if it is tight in the fore foot after a bake then get it punched out.

I don't know why you guys say EE is longer, please enlighten me.

I have tried on the supreme one.9 in an 8D and an 8EE. The 8D my toes where scrunched in the toe cap in the 8EE it felt just right with my toes feathering the toe cap. The wider heel makes my foot sit back to where it is suppose to be. So maybe yes they both have the same length but with a wider heel pocket it will give you that extra 2mm. It could also be that the D isn't wide enough for my foot and it scrunches the side of my foot causing my foot to not sit as flat as it can in the boot. Although I measure an E width and that is what the supreme D is.

Yeah those are very likely the reasons why some people feel that way, but it's not an absolute and doesn't apply for everyone in the sense of that length measurement. I get that it's by feel so it shouldn't be passed off as a rule.

Some on here say they've measured the footbeds between D and EE skates of the same size in the same model and the EE footbeds come out a few mm longer. I don't think anyone's passing it off as a hard and fast rule. I just usually suggest that people with borderline width feet who feel a skate is very slightly too small take a look both at a half size bigger in the same width and a same size skate in a wider width.

Unless you absolutely have to have a Bauer skate, you could always try a brand like CCM and Reebok that run wider then a Bauer skate, but if you had to have Bauer another option is the Nexus skate, its the widest of the Bauer line.

Hi, guys. Can you please advise which model of Bauer skates I should try?
I wear shoes of Size 10, normal width. I have tried both Bauer Supreme and Bauer Vapor skates in a store.
Bauer Vapor Skate Size 9D was too small with my toe was pressed hard against the tip of the toe box while Size 9.5D was too large with my toe not touching the end of the toe box (all laced properly and tried with knees bent and bent forward).
I then asked for Bauer Vapor Supreme Size, but they had only 8.5D (too small) and 9.5D (too large), so I ended up ordering 9D online, thinking it should fit, but the toe box turned out to be too wide. I put in some pieces of rubber in toe boxes and that seemed to push my the heels back - it hurt for a while because skates were too tight with my heels pushed backward, (which, maybe, means that the Supremes are too narrow for my heels) but it did make my feet feel snug,.
In short, if I were to buy another pair of Bauers, which one would you recommend, maybe go back to trying Bauer Vapor 9? Or maybe, I should try a different brand?
Please let me know.
Thank you,
Simon