Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SB39

Practice stick - good or beater

When you guys practice at home, kitchen floor or garage or whatever, do you use a game stick or an old beater? I've been alternating back and forth in each session between my game stick (100 VHex) and a beater stick (87 NBH Apollo) which feels about a pound heavier. I start with the beater, then my game stick feels like air, and I think my hands warms up better doing the switch.

As long as the lie is the same as my rink sticks, I'm not too picky about it. I'll use any curve for practicing hy mands. Maybe demanding the same lie is picky, I don't know.

I have a couple of ABS+wood sticks lying around that I practice stickhandling with. Some old shafts that don't pop anymore with ABS blades as well.

For practicing shooting on dryland I don't like to use dead sticks or shafts because the shooting mechanics are too different from a stick that bends and rebounds properly. Weight doesn't really bother me here either. It's just me, but I don't like having to spend any rink time making the adjustment.

Normally I'll use my backup or my game twig indoors. Green biscuit, golf ball or tennis ball. Outdoors, I have street hockey stuff (pretty much just old hockey sticks I don't use) and for composite ones putting a screw or two under the blade helps keep it from sanding down to nothing. HowToHockey had a video on it, I'll see if I can pull it up.

I use my backup, which is the same flex and curve as my regular stick - but heavier (One60 vs. Nexus 1000). I agree that it definitely feels easier making the same moves when you go back to your the game stick.