Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SaylorHockey

Self Introduction

Just wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself. My name is James and I am medically retired from the Army. Blow up in 2010 in Afghanistan and the Army didn't think I could continue with my job as an infantryman. I now live in Texas with my wife and two boys. I have never really ice skated before but wanting to learn and also learn to play hockey as well. I got interested in this because I am a big Dallas Stars fan. Plus its something that will keep me in shape and active. Once I decided to take on this task so did the rest of my family and we are wanting to learn to skate and play hockey together. I'm sure I will have question along the route and I am not affraid to ask.

Sgt. (Ret.) James Saylor

Glad to have you aboard. You are going to find a lot of other guys that either picked up, or came back to the game as adults here on this site. Some of the best teammates I've ever had were veterans, thanks for your service.

Welcome, and thank you for your service. My sons started playing hockey after I left the Air Force eight years ago. Being home to help coach their teams has brought us all a lot closer together.

First and foremost, thank you for your service.

Dallas isn't a bad hockey market, at the youth level they have some very competative teams. The best thing to do is strap them on and start skating just to get the feel. Don't get discouraged, everything you do will feel un-natural at first. Once you get the basics of skating down get some gear and try stick & puck skates. If the entire family wants to learn maybe you can arrange for family skating lessons to do together. Find a figure skating coach, they will give you the best training. I have been playing along time and one of the best things is watching someone who just started get better and better. Once you really dig in you'll find out what hockey is really about and why it is the best game on earth. My son said it prepped him better for the USAF then anything else.

Have fun and enjoy the game.

Chk hrd Thanks for the heads up. I wish your son the best with his service to this country. I was on the ice thispast weekend to test out my knees as I have had a few surgeries on my left knee. Felt pretty good all besides my slates being too narrow. I was given a pair of Bauer Vapor x40's and the killed my feet. So now is time to take out a loan to get the entire family some new skates. For not being on the ice in 25 years I only feel once. But I think we are going to try and setup some skating lessons as a family and see how that goes. Hockey is definitely a growing sport in Texas and I think we all are looking forward to learning the game.