Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roar111

Kovalchuk's Contract Situation

So as you guys know Kovy jumped ship from New Jersey this past off-season for the KHL. Part of the penalty for the huge contract Devils mgmt gave Kovy was a $3 M fine, losing a 3rd rounder in 2011, and a 1st rounder from either the 2011, 2012, 2013, or 2014 drafts. But now that Kovy's gone, the Devils asked the league to at least reduce the penalty, because, well, Kovy's gone. So now apparently the Devils don't lose their first-rounder, but they have to pick 30th in the first round, and their $3 mil fine is halved. Link's here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=708210&navid=nhl:topheads or should I post the whole article?

Anyways, interesting bit of news. I would be laughing if the Devils tanked and had to give up their first overall pick without Kovy. I guess this would also be a somewhat advantageous year for the Cup winners because they get to move up in the draft, albeit by only one spot.

I'm having difficulty with the concept of reconsideration here. Kovalchuk not remaining was always a possibility -- they knew that. So they took their chances, and didn't get all they hoped for. Deal with it.

I thought they should just live with the consequences, but it doesn't matter much to me. I mean Kovy jumped ship, and I know we don't know this yet, but whoever they pick at #30 likely won't have the same magnitude of impact Kovy had. I could be completely wrong on that though. Only time will tell.

The precedent can create problems.

The NHL doesn't concern themselves with consistency or precedent.

The NHL doesn't concern themselves with consistency or precedent.

Especially when numerous other teams (luongoa/vancouver, zetterberg/detroit etc) did the same type of contract work and didnt get punished.