Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bolo

cut resistant socks

Thanks for posting that fcalog guess that makes some sense.

Steve when you put it that way it isn't really that impressive is it?

Bolo, I was looking for cut resistance socks and came across the Warrior AX1. What peaked my curiosity was that they were described as being cut level 4. I had not seen that described anywhere else, so I started to investigate. Long story short, socks being made can consist of Kevlar, Twaron (like Kevlar), Dyneema and Spectra and any combination thereof. Yellow looking socks consist primarily of Kevlar and/or Twaron. It seems that there is a movement away from the Kevlar socks to Dyneema/Spectra because of the greater strength/weight ratio of the spun fibers. Kevlar does degrade over time especially if exposed to UV light, for what it’s worth. An interesting sidebar Dyneema/Spectra in sheet form is synthetic ice.

I know of one in the pipe line that have seen the cut test and if all goes well it will be a market breakthrough. Will see if it pans out though!

It isn't this company by any chance?

http://ec3dsports.com/products/cut-resistant-compression-socks/

I like the idea of combining compression technology with protective fibers. Some what expensive for a sock, but I currently like the compression socks I have and would like that incorporated into the sock.

I've been using the Tactics socks for a few years and they're mainly Kevlar based. I've retired one pair, have used the second pair for over and year and have yet to use a third pair I have in a drawer (I picked up 3 at once as part of an online deal). I also received a pair of AX1 socks for Christmas which I've used a few times.

I believe my first pair of Tactics socks died a premature death because I was hanging them to dry in a room that had the blinds up and they were exposed to the sun regularly. The yellow colour faded over time and eventually small holes developed near the heel area (just at the bottom of the Kevlar portion). When drying the second pair I've kept them away from any direct sunlight and they haven't faded or developed holes like the first pair.

They're comfortable when you first put them on (although the Kevlar portion is definitely rougher than traditional skate sock), but the Kevlar portion does soak up a lot of sweat compared to the non cut resistant TPS R10 socks I use for roller hockey. The Kevlar calf portion also seems to be looser at the end of the games when they're wet - I don't notice this when playing or reffing, but do when taking them off.

The AX1s retain much less moisture than the Tactics socks and are still tight at the end of the games. The cut resistant section is also softer and more comfortable than the cut resistant portion on the Tactics socks. I've mainly been using the Tactics socks to ref and have been saving the AX1 socks to play ice, but I've played primarily roller for the past while so haven't used the AX1s more than a handful of times. So far I'm really impressed with them though. Another official asked me about the Tactics socks the other day as he was thinking of picking up some cut resistant socks and I told him to pick up a pair of the AX1 socks (I don't think the Tactics are made any more, but there are similar socks with the yellow calf portions).

I've used the reebok 20k socks three times now and since I was lazy I managed to not wash them all week. :/ but they still don't smell, they still are soft and are still very comfortable. I never tried a pair of the kevlar socks but this dyneema seems like the way to go.

I've used the reebok 20k socks three times now and since I was lazy I managed to not wash them all week. :/ but they still don't smell, they still are soft and are still very comfortable. I never tried a pair of the kevlar socks but this dyneema seems like the way to go.

Look forward to your comparison of the Reebok and tuff nlites. Keep us posted!

I just picked up a pair of Bauer Elite Performance Socks after seeing a friends calf get saved by a pair. He did have a rash on the spot where it happened, but it could have been much worse. After two skates with the new socks my feet don't feel itchy and the socks don't feel necessarily thick. I came from a pair of Easton Synergy socks which are extremely thin but I still didn't feel like it was too big of a jump into the Bauers. The first half of the foot portion is like a normal sock on the Bauers. For my 2nd pair, I will go with some Warrior AX1's, just to try something different.

That's good to hear. I also have Easton Synergy socks and it's already snug wearing them and skating my Makos. I don't have much more room to spare.

Any feedback on the tuff n lite socks?

I've been using the Tuff n Lite Pro Thin Cut for about a year now, and love them. They feel just like normal cotton socks, except the foot area is thinner.

I tried the Bauer kevlar socks for a couple of months and they were a bit itchy, too tight across my foot, and the heel and ankle areas started turning hard due to the friction on my skate boot. I've also read that kevlar socks will degrade with use, and you have to be careful how you wash them (cold water, air dry).

+1 for Tuff n Lite - Been using mine for years now. I agree with SCOMPL, I don't rate the Bauer socks. I get a bit of lacebite (or maybe just general uncomfortableness) at the front of my ankle when I use them.

One other thing - I'm in Australia so I hang my gear outside, but I think it'd bad for the kevlar to be exposed to sun for ages, so just a caveat if you hang stuff where it might be in the sun.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Going to pick up a pair of the tuff n lites. I'd rather get the swiftwick ones but don't think they're worth nearly double the price

Thanks for posting that fcalog guess that makes some sense.

Steve when you put it that way it isn't really that impressive is it?

I would really like to read - or better yet SEE - the testing procedure.

I would really like to read - or better yet SEE - the testing procedure.

There is some testing video on the tuff n lite website. It does look pretty protective.

If you're not into seeing cuts be weary of the video but it seems to stop at the 1min mark when they start showing the actual testing.

Has anyone tried the Warrior Dynasty AX1? I have been using the Bauer Kevlar. As someone else stated, they get pretty wet. Granted, I sweat quite a bit, but I would like to find a thin, magic sweat dissolver sock if I can, that protects against skate blade slicing. The Warrior AX1 looks like it might be the closest thing to it.

I also was looking at the Warrior AX1 socks. I wound up getting the Reebok 20k as a gift. The Reebok's soak up a lot of sweat, when I take them off, they are pretty soaked. I'll agree with a previous comment that they are nice and soft and comfortable though.

I haven't got a chance to test out my new tuff n lite socks yet. the first pair was a little weird and they send me a new pair but.. i spent the last 5 days thinking i have the flu and finally found out it is pneumonia. hopefully now that i have the right ailment ill be back on the ice soonish.

Any update on tuff n lite thin sock review?

I have the black and Kevlar looking set. When I bought that one I believe it was considered the "thin" model. Now on their site it is ultra-thin and the white ones have a "thin" foot. Which ones are you talking about?

I have the black and Kevlar looking set. When I bought that one I believe it was considered the "thin" model. Now on their site it is ultra-thin and the white ones have a "thin" foot. Which ones are you talking about?

I'm between the tuff n lite thin vs the warrior cut resistant socks. Hard to find any feedback on either. Any input you have is appreciated

Well, the model I have the foot material is really really thing and doesn't stretch all that much. It fits pretty tight as well.

I haven't had any problems with the Kevlar material and it feels like like a thick sock to me. The foot part seems to be getting tighter and tighter the more I use them. I believe I had them for about 1 1/2 years - 2 years. Before I had about an inch of black material on the back of my foot, now the black material sits at basically the bottom of my heel.

This hasn't cause any comfort issues, and like I said I have had them for quite some time. I got the thin ones as my player skates are really tight on my foot and wearing these has eased some pain compared to thicker under armour socks.

Finally, when I was playing goalie I got blisters on the back of my feet when I had to walk between rinks, this only happened when I spent about 15 minutes walking and never when just playing. Since then I have gotten new goalie skates and haven't had an issue like this yet. BUT before when I wore the under armour socks I never got blisters when walking off the ice. I contribute the blisters to a combination of the super thin socks and the goalie skates.

Overall I'd recommend them, haven't had scratching issues or heat issues at all and don't find that they soak up more sweat than anything else that I have used.

I've been using the Tactics socks for a few years and they're mainly Kevlar based. I've retired one pair, have used the second pair for over and year and have yet to use a third pair I have in a drawer (I picked up 3 at once as part of an online deal). I also received a pair of AX1 socks for Christmas which I've used a few times.

I believe my first pair of Tactics socks died a premature death because I was hanging them to dry in a room that had the blinds up and they were exposed to the sun regularly. The yellow colour faded over time and eventually small holes developed near the heel area (just at the bottom of the Kevlar portion). When drying the second pair I've kept them away from any direct sunlight and they haven't faded or developed holes like the first pair.

They're comfortable when you first put them on (although the Kevlar portion is definitely rougher than traditional skate sock), but the Kevlar portion does soak up a lot of sweat compared to the non cut resistant TPS R10 socks I use for roller hockey. The Kevlar calf portion also seems to be looser at the end of the games when they're wet - I don't notice this when playing or reffing, but do when taking them off.

The AX1s retain much less moisture than the Tactics socks and are still tight at the end of the games. The cut resistant section is also softer and more comfortable than the cut resistant portion on the Tactics socks. I've mainly been using the Tactics socks to ref and have been saving the AX1 socks to play ice, but I've played primarily roller for the past while so haven't used the AX1s more than a handful of times. So far I'm really impressed with them though. Another official asked me about the Tactics socks the other day as he was thinking of picking up some cut resistant socks and I told him to pick up a pair of the AX1 socks (I don't think the Tactics are made any more, but there are similar socks with the yellow calf portions).

How thin are the Warrior AX1's compared to the Bauer Kevlar? If I could get a sock half as thick as these Kevlars, then I will be a happier skater.

Well, the model I have the foot material is really really thing and doesn't stretch all that much. It fits pretty tight as well.

I haven't had any problems with the Kevlar material and it feels like like a thick sock to me. The foot part seems to be getting tighter and tighter the more I use them. I believe I had them for about 1 1/2 years - 2 years. Before I had about an inch of black material on the back of my foot, now the black material sits at basically the bottom of my heel.

This hasn't cause any comfort issues, and like I said I have had them for quite some time. I got the thin ones as my player skates are really tight on my foot and wearing these has eased some pain compared to thicker under armour socks.

Finally, when I was playing goalie I got blisters on the back of my feet when I had to walk between rinks, this only happened when I spent about 15 minutes walking and never when just playing. Since then I have gotten new goalie skates and haven't had an issue like this yet. BUT before when I wore the under armour socks I never got blisters when walking off the ice. I contribute the blisters to a combination of the super thin socks and the goalie skates.

Overall I'd recommend them, haven't had scratching issues or heat issues at all and don't find that they soak up more sweat than anything else that I have used.

Thanks a lot for the feedback and review. Sound like the thin rather than the ultra thin would be the way to go for me. Going to pick up a pair. Appreciate your review

Thanks a lot for the feedback and review. Sound like the thin rather than the ultra thin would be the way to go for me. Going to pick up a pair. Appreciate your review

No problem. I hope you like them as much as I do, I know I feel safer with them since the back of my legs are basically exposed when wearing pads.

No problem. I hope you like them as much as I do, I know I feel safer with them since the back of my legs are basically exposed when wearing pads.

Thanks. And yeah I can imagine feeling that way as a goalie. Hadn't thought of it that way

Bringing this back to life. Looking at these cut resistant models, Tuff n Lite Pro & Pro Thin, Swiftwick, Bauer NG 37.5 and Warrior AX1. Any updated users of them on performance (wicking, stay up (compression), comfortable,etc) and how thickness of foot area compares to say the standard Bauer sock.

I've been the using the Tuff N Lite pro thin for a couple of years now, have two pairs now and haven't had any problems with either. I can't really compare the wicking but it seems fine, they are comfortable and stay up well in my experience.