Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bolo

cut resistant socks

Couple weeks ago I managed to land on my own skate and slashed my leg open. Got pretty lucky since I missed the Achilles. I picked up a set of cut resistant socks to try and prevent this. I got the reebok 20k but I'm curious about this dynema fabric. Should I have gone with the bauers or a different brand that uses kevlar? Anyone have any first hand experience with these materials?

Bauer really sold me on their new (2014) Kevlar socks. They do demonstrations where they have this revolving drum (imagine a dryer) fitted with razor blades all around and have their socks filled with ball bearings thrown in. They tested socks from the competition and regular socks and their kevlar Elite sock survived.

That sounds promising. I haven't seen the new ones in the store yet maybe they'll have some at the lets play hockey expo to check out.

I don't know if they'll have the demonstration because as far as I know, that was more for the sales team, but they should have the new socks. Grey colored this time.

Yeah, probably be too likely a kid would some how find his way into the demo and get a finger chopped off. I'd like to feel the socks though. I went with the reebok because they felt the most comfortable.

Also I noticed I put this in the non-gear form. Sorry.

Well I didn't see the bauer socks there but that booth was pretty crazy with lil kids running around so I kinda moved through a little quick.

I did speak with a guy selling some other product made with the dyneema fabric. He (understandably) said the dyneema is more durable than the kevlar after repeated washings as well as will not absorb any water like a kevlar product.

Kevlar is good, but its protective properties will degrade with both use and time. Those in law enforcement have their vests replaced on a schedule for just that reason.

I suppose that makes sense. Well maybe going with the reeboks wasn't such a bad idea with the Dyneema then. I hope I never have to test them out but I guess if it happens again these things better work haha.

Bauer really sold me on their new (2014) Kevlar socks. They do demonstrations where they have this revolving drum (imagine a dryer) fitted with razor blades all around and have their socks filled with ball bearings thrown in. They tested socks from the competition and regular socks and their kevlar Elite sock survived.

Do these type of socks irritate the skin? I always wondered that given the Kevlar infusion.

Do these type of socks irritate the skin? I always wondered that given the Kevlar infusion.

Must not, seems like a lot of brands are using it. I talked with a rep from swiftwick and they're whole thing was making a sock that people would actually wear (claimed pretty much any pro team that uses protective socks uses theirs) and they use kevlar in their socks.

I picked up a pair of socks from my local hockey store, they're made of kevlar and have actually saved me more than a few times. The most notable time was when I fell down and another player stepped (hopefully accidentally) on my calf and sliced right through my polyester hockey sock but didn't do any more damage than that thanks the the Kevlar socks I was wearing underneath. I forget the name, I'll check when I get home. The only downside is your legs may be a bit itchy after a game or skate, but that's something I've gotten used to.

I have been considering ordering a pair. I was hoping they would be at the lets play hockey expo but if they were I was unable to find them.

I gave my reebok 20k socks a go last night. Surprisingly comfortable. Didn't notice any difference from my regular socks. I did not have to test the cut resistance, thankfully.

I haven't had a chance to really look at these cut resistant socks.. can someone give me a quick comparison "feel wise" t something like Nike Dri-Fit, or the old Easton skate socks? I have several pairs of the Dri-Fits that work real well, and my daughter uses the Eastons....I wouldn't mind adding some protection given the number of potentially nasty skate cuts I have in my ref pants that were luckily caught by the skates or shins... ditto for my daughters uni socks...

Out of the large number of them we've sold, no complaints that I've heard of. They're rather thick though imo. I think the newer ones are better.

So far I only have used the reebok 20k protective with the dyneema fabric. They do not have have the Kevlar. In comfort, they felt great. The fabric stays soft and cool and didn't itch.

I spoke with the tuff n lite guy about their new sock and it sounds promising as well. He said he had trouble with the Kevlar socks but can wear their new socks as an everyday sock.

Best test tried I have seen or heard about was in an NHL room. They took each sock offered sharpened up a couple skates all really sharp and rammed them across the bat. The one the cut the least was the one they went with. Not one stopped the blade however. Every single one had some sort of slice in it. Some were really bad though. I know of one in the pipe line that have seen the cut test and if all goes well it will be a market breakthrough. Will see if it pans out though!

Out of the large number of them we've sold, no complaints that I've heard of. They're rather thick though imo. I think the newer ones are better.

I looked at them at noicing's shop, and the 1st thing that came outta my mouth was "Wow these are thick, I'd have to go up a size to wear them".

They all seem to be thick where the cut resistance is but the foot part is not. Also the swftwick socks just have Kevlar areas so they were noticeably thinner

I just ordered Tuff n lite's new sock so once that comes in I'll be able to compare it to the reeboks. I'm not sure what this cut resistance scale is but the dyneema says it has a rating of 3 and this new tuff n lite claims to be a 4.

I just picked up a pair of Bauer Elite Performance Socks after seeing a friends calf get saved by a pair. He did have a rash on the spot where it happened, but it could have been much worse. After two skates with the new socks my feet don't feel itchy and the socks don't feel necessarily thick. I came from a pair of Easton Synergy socks which are extremely thin but I still didn't feel like it was too big of a jump into the Bauers. The first half of the foot portion is like a normal sock on the Bauers. For my 2nd pair, I will go with some Warrior AX1's, just to try something different.

I just ordered Tuff n lite's new sock so once that comes in I'll be able to compare it to the reeboks. I'm not sure what this cut resistance scale is but the dyneema says it has a rating of 3 and this new tuff n lite claims to be a 4.

Here is a table/standards which are used to determine the cut protection levels:

Manufacturers typically use the ASTM F-1790 standard for measuring the cut protection performance of protective apparel. This test method uses force-distance testers to determine how resistant a material is to cuts when exposed to a cutting edge under specific loads. This method provides data to differentiate the cut-resistance of common material such as cotton, leather and high-performance fibers. Results are provided in terms of grams of weight applied to the specific material tested.

Another testing agency which rates fabric and cut-resistance is ANSI/ISEA (American National Standards Institute)/(International Safety Equipment Association). This standard is similar to the European standard:

ANSI/ISEA 105-2005 Mechanical Ratings

Rating Level 0 Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4 Level 5 Level 6

Abrasion-Resistance* (Cycles) < 100 ≥ 100 ≥ 500 ≥ 1000 ≥ 3000 ≥ 10000 ≥ 20000

Cut-Resistance (Grams)** < 200 ≥ 200 ≥ 500 ≥ 1000 ≥ 1500 ≥ 3500 -

Puncture-Resistance (Newtons) < 10 ≥ 10 ≥ 20 ≥ 60 ≥ 100 ≥ 150 -

* Abrasion ratings 0 through 3 are based on measurement with a 500-gram load. Levels 4 through 6 are measured with a 1,000-gram load.

** Weight needed to cut through material with 25mm of blade travel

Dunno if that info gives me any warm fuzzies.... Guess I need to see the testing method and fixture.

At basically one inch of blade travel:

Level 3 needs 2.2 pounds of force to cut through

Level 4 needs 3.3 pounds of force to cut through

Level 3 needs 7.7 pounds of force to cut through