Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skiracer8148

Feet killing me, Skates not broken in? CCM RBZ

Hello everyone I am new to playing hockey this is my first year, I have been playing pickup with some friends now for over a month we play twice a week.. My skates were purchased new and have given me issues from the start, I get very bad foot pain after skating for 10 minutes then I have to take a break. I was told the pain was due to my skates not being broken in but now with over 12 pickup hockey games im starting to think something else is up. I have baked my skates twice and it did make them mold better to my feet but it was a not a huge improvement, One thing I was considering is getting the CCM custom insoles maybe I don't have the right arch support? My ankles have gotten alot stronger since ive started and now I can stop semi correctly. Im running out of answers and don't really have anyone locally to get advice from so im hoping you guys can help me out.

jpafc9.jpg

And these are the Insoles incase you are not familiar.

ccm-insole.jpg

A top of the line skate may be too stiff for a new skater and the boot shape might not be right one for your foot. Did you try on many brands?

A top of the line skate may be too stiff for a new skater and the boot shape might not be right one for your foot. Did you try on many brands?

That's not the top of the line RBZ. Looks like the RBZ 60.

Take them to the shop and they may be able to work them for you. Punch out hot spots, stretch the boot or you may be tieing them to tight if your foot is cramping.

It took me almost 2 months for my RBZs to be broken in. Now, I use them for officiating so I don't know if that makes any difference in the break-in period. I am on my feet, or skates, a lot more as an official than as a player during any given ice slot though. All I know is that now that they are broken in, they fit nicely. I use the MED custom sole also.

I won't assume how much research and skate fitting you did before purchasing these particular skates, but have you done the pencil tests on them? Some pics of your foot in the skates might help us lead you in a positive direction.

Frankly from the little bit of info you have posted it brings up many of my painful memories of how badly my feet hurt from ill-fitted skates. If you dont have enough depth in the skates you will probably under or over tighten the laces and either way will end up with arch/side of foot pain, and ankle pain from both situations. Before you go spending money on insoles etc I would highly recommend ensuring the length, width, and instep depth of the skate are appropriate for your foot type, if any of those three are off you are in for painful skates no matter what assortment of socks, or insoles you jam into the boot.

If those seem to be correct, I would point out lacing pattern does impact skate fit and overall circulation to the foot, so lacing outside in, or just lacing portions of the skate loose and others tight might make all the difference in the world. I just laced my new balance sneakers using an outside inside pattern and my ankle lock in my shoes is much improved and I don't get numb feet anymore in my cross trainers, same thing can happen with skates.

Hi

I have a pair of RBZ pro's with CCM medium insoles. They were, by far, the worst skate I have EVER had to break in. From memory it took nearly 6 weeks of 2 - 3 sessions per week, 6 games and a weekend tournament to get them right. Even now I get aching feet when Im stood around on the bench.

You really need to provide some more information as to where the pain is, for me it was mostly under my arch which I solved by loosening the lacing around that area slightly (although my next step would have been to move to a low insole).

Regards

Pete

I can concur i have the RBZ pro model. After 2 months I still have pain in my left foot that lasts for first 5 min of skating. They are not a very malleable skate out of the box. I can say though once they break in the feel great and offer excellent agilty and speed.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, Yes they are RBZ 60 and were around $150, I have done a ton of googling and im leaning more and more towards the skates not being wide enough causing the cramping up.

I couldn't really do too much being that all of our local stores closed and the staff at Dicks is not that helpful, but yes you are right either arch support or width is deff off. Toes are not touching front so im ruling that out. I do wear thin skate socks.

I won't assume how much research and skate fitting you did before purchasing these particular skates, but have you done the pencil tests on them? Some pics of your foot in the skates might help us lead you in a positive direction.

Frankly from the little bit of info you have posted it brings up many of my painful memories of how badly my feet hurt from ill-fitted skates. If you dont have enough depth in the skates you will probably under or over tighten the laces and either way will end up with arch/side of foot pain, and ankle pain from both situations. Before you go spending money on insoles etc I would highly recommend ensuring the length, width, and instep depth of the skate are appropriate for your foot type, if any of those three are off you are in for painful skates no matter what assortment of socks, or insoles you jam into the boot.

If those seem to be correct, I would point out lacing pattern does impact skate fit and overall circulation to the foot, so lacing outside in, or just lacing portions of the skate loose and others tight might make all the difference in the world. I just laced my new balance sneakers using an outside inside pattern and my ankle lock in my shoes is much improved and I don't get numb feet anymore in my cross trainers, same thing can happen with skates.

If they are too tight in the forefoot try not tieing them to tight in that area. No need to crank them down til the ankle, leave them snug but loose around the toes and top of foot if that makes any sense...

Thanks to everyone for the replies, Yes they are RBZ 60 and were around $150, I have done a ton of googling and im leaning more and more towards the skates not being wide enough causing the cramping up.

I couldn't really do too much being that all of our local stores closed and the staff at Dicks is not that helpful, but yes you are right either arch support or width is deff off. Toes are not touching front so im ruling that out. I do wear thin skate socks.

Hey bud - I feel your pain on the local store issue. If you are having width issues or think you are that's a pretty good sign that you should try to find a better fitting skate. I would highly highly suggest trying any and every kind of skate you can (in various sizes/widths) if possible - drive to a store that's far away if you have to, it will really be night and day and you'll enjoy skating and playing much more. Don't make my mistake and settle for mediocre skates that hurt your feet, it just takes the joy out of being on the ice (plus the pain just sucks haha) and frankly if you have to butcher your skates via punching and stretching it probably means your skates are just not right for you - unless you genuinely have a unique shaped foot or unique proportions that warrant heavy modification or custom made skates.

You can always sell your current skates on Ebay to recoup most of your cash spent, or i'm sure there's a used sports equipment store somewhere that will purchase them (might not like the price they offer but something beats nothing). Just be open minded on skates and try different models until you can wear the skate (prior to baking) and feel comfortable in them. Make sure you walk around in them, bend your knees in them as if you're in a hockey stance etc, so you get the full picture on how your foot feels in them in different positions before making a decision about them.

Figured it out guys my skates are too narrow I need wide EE, now someone recommend me a new skate to purchase and I will be throwing my Rbz on eBay.

Try Nexus from Bauer. You don't necessarily need a EE width, in my case (3.5-4E foot in my shoes) a D width Nexus fit me better then a EE 5.5 CCM RBZ. If you have someone who carries Graf around you, they make wide and deep skates as well, but I have no personal experience with those so I can't give you too much detail there.

Make sure you physically try them on before buying or have the ability to return them as they will fit different length wise more then likely so you might need a half size smaller or bigger compared to the CCMs potentially (talking about Nexus).

Try Nexus from Bauer. You don't necessarily need a EE width, in my case (3.5-4E foot in my shoes) a D width Nexus fit me better then a EE 5.5 CCM RBZ. If you have someone who carries Graf around you, they make wide and deep skates as well, but I have no personal experience with those so I can't give you too much detail there.

Make sure you physically try them on before buying or have the ability to return them as they will fit different length wise more then likely so you might need a half size smaller or bigger compared to the CCMs potentially (talking about Nexus).

can i have your feet? i have 4.25 inch wide feet if my memory is correct. mighta been a little more.

can i have your feet? i have 4.25 inch wide feet if my memory is correct. mighta been a little more.

Why do you want my feet? O_o.

I am 4.1 inches wide, but only 9.75 inches length wise (hence my 3.5-4E width for shoes). Flintstones feet aren't normally what people want, lol!

Why do you want my feet? O_o.

I am 4.1 inches wide, but only 9.75 inches length wise (hence my 3.5-4E width for shoes). Flintstones feet aren't normally what people want, lol!

My feet are 9 5/8 inches in length...so we have a pretty similar foot actually