Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

STX Surgeon - 215BroadStBullies610

Happy FIRST day of Spring! Summer is bound to come sooner or later...

Let me start out by showing some graditude. Thank you STX, JR and all those at MSH for making this happen. Quite humbling to be dubbed a LTR-er.

Stick Specs:

STX Surgeon 500

X88 Curve...I've used the Lindros/Kane curve for most of 'career' so the Surgeon 500 shouldn't be a hard transition in that respect.

Right-handed

85 flex (pre-cut shaft)

Player Specs:

Height - 5'11"

Weight - 205 lbs.

Position(s) - Defenseman/Center...I have mostly played center my whole hockey life but with my team, end up switching back and forth (sometimes during the same game).

I play with one team full time but this spring/summer will be first time I will join a second team so I hope to be on the ice at least twice a week.

Box-Opening Initial Response:

I got the Surgeon in the mail on Tuesday, the 18th. The pictures below are of the stick straight out of the box.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4A1327D4D790C4F5!110&authkey=!AHX_oAc41DJDkR8&v=3&ithint=photo%2c.jpg

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4A1327D4D790C4F5%21111

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4A1327D4D790C4F5%21112

I played lacrosse for 7 years (hoping to get back to playing in some men's league in Philly area) and used STX extensively during that tenure. I'm excited to use STX in a non-lacrosse setting and hoping they bring their success along with. I actually have a game tonight so that is when I can give a response in regards to on-ice performance. The first thing that caught my attention are the aesthetics. The color scheme is unique and sharp looking. STX found a way to stick out amongst the crowd without being brash. I really like how they still kept the blade/low-end shaft and butt-end black to contrast the rest of the shaft. The weight is decent. Definitely not as light as my TO NXG but it is respectable. I will have better feel when I get my stick cut about 2-3 inches today. The non-grip version does seem to have a softness to it that does seem to eliminate a completely slick shaft. I'm not a fan of grip but I won't really know how this stick will feel until I hit the ice. Fortunately, I have a men's league game tonight so expect another response sometime this weekend.

P.S. Feel free to enjoy March Madness with some Rita's water ice. Lethal combination. Enjoy.

Just got from my game tonight and, overall, I was impressed with the Surgeon 500. It's a well-balanced stick given that it isn't as light as some of the other top-tier peers. I was surprised with the amount of pop the stick supplied on my wrist and slap shots. I also liked the stiffness of the blade. It was stiff enough to hold up on passing and shooting but the puck wasn't bouncing off my blade when I received passes. The only drawback I experienced is the grip of the shaft. I'm a non-grip guy so any sort of grip will bother me. It is something I can get around but it will take a couple of games. I expect to be on the ice no later than the 27th so expect another update in a week or so. Take care.

Another day, another game. Our team played a decent game but we got eliminated from the playoffs last night. The Surgeon is still holding up strong. I am feeling more comfortable with shooting and how go about gripping the stick. My snap shot (my go-to shot) seems to really thrive with this stick. I'm also starting to get use the 'non-grip' version I have. I still feel that my hands get stuck from time to time but it hasn't impeded my ability to handle the puck. One thing I forgot to mention with my first update is that paint chips easily off the S-500. I don't know if that's an indictment on the quality of the stick or just the paint job itself. It's something I'll keep an eye on.

It's been +2 months since I've first started using the S500 and no major complaints thus far. There is normal wear and tear that comes with using a stick full-time but that's about it. The only area for me to watch out for is the blade. It feels somewhat softer and there are a couple of chips in it. Nothing alarming but noteworthy. The rest of the stick is holding up well. The paint job is holding up as one would expect after a couple of months. I feel that I'm starting to get use to the grip (would really like to try this stick without grip and see how it compares).