Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

STX Stallion - kovalchuk71

(Will add pictures when I get home as I don't have access to a computer currently)

This review will be on the STX Stallion Stick. The STX Stallion is a mid kick stick, comparable kick point wise to the Bauer Supreme Total One NXG. First, as always, a big thank you goes out to STX for supplying MSH with some demo sticks. Also, thank you MSH for allowing me to LTR this stick. It's always fun doing these reviews. So without further a due.....

Me:

24 years old

5'7 170 lbs

RH

Mostly a roller player (AAA/D1 at the top tournaments)

Sticks used:

Anyone that frequents these boards knows how particular I am with my sticks. I've used everything on the market currently. If I was in the NHL, I would have been Marc Savard without a doubt. Sticks and skates are the two pieces of equipment I value the most. I don't use anything other than high end for both.

STX Stallion Specs:

X92 (P3/P92/PP26 equivalent)

85 flex

Grip

60"

Unboxing:

Got a call from my mom that a box came in the mail for me. YES! Didn't want it shipped to school because I don't trust people in my neighborhood. Dang. Had to wait till the weekend. Fast forward to today. The stick came in a standard cardboard stick box with "STX" on the sides (nothing special). Opened it up and there it was! The stick was damage free and in one piece.

Initial Impressions:

The stick is very "clean" and "polished". The decals were all placed on straight and everything looked top notch finish wise. I wouldn't expect any less from STX as a company though. As people have commented on the forums, this stick does scream Easton RS/RSII appearance wise. No arguments there. It's not a big deal to me, as I could care less what a stick looks like. Just expected a bit more originality with the stick's appearance. Besides that, I really like the look of the carbon weave running down the shaft walls. I'm a sucker for bare carbon.

Weight (everyone's favorite topic):

As soon as I unboxed it, I threw it on the scale. 433g was the magic number. I was guessing somewhere between 425g-440g, so no huge surprises there. Of course, weights will vary with different blade curves. The stick has a nice balance to it. It is slightly blade heavy, but I like that. It's not extremely noticeable, I just wanted to be picky and point it out. No stick is perfectly balanced (at least that I have tried).

Shaft Shape:

The shaft has a very interesting shape to it. The sidewalls are concave, while the top and bottom walls are rounded. It sits very comfortably in my hands. I'd almost put it in between a Vapor and a Supreme, shape wise. I approve. The stick has a taper to it which is slightly rounded. The blade is fused pretty high up on the shaft, as you can see in the picture.

Grip:

The grip on this stick is definitely on the lighter side. Fear not Griptonite loathers, this is not even close! The grip has a slight tack, with a "powdery" finish. It really reminds me of the Christian Torch Stick I had years ago. We will see how it feels with gloves on today.

Blade:

The blade on this stick is pretty thin. Very stiff though. It's takes quite a bit of hand pressure to get it to torque. Just like the shaft, the blade is flawless and has a matte finish to it. The carbon weave looks extremely similar to the weave on the original Warrior Starskie and Dolomites when they were released.

Curve and flex:

I requested the x92 curve, which as stated above, is the STX equivalent of the Easton P3, Bauer P92, etc. Curve wise, it looks to be an exact copy of the Easton P3, which I find is curved less at the toe as compared to the Bauer P92.

Flex wise, I requested a 75, but was sent an 85. I am much more comfortable with whipper sticks, so this will be an adjustment. After giving the shaft a few pushes though, I'd say it's going to be okay. It seems to feel whipper than listed. If I had to compare it to another stick flex wise, I would say it's similar to the 77 flex Bauer Supreme.

That's all for now. Going to use it in a little bit and give my first impressions on the rink. Stay tuned!

-Kovy