Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

STX Surgeon - voxyledbetter

I would first like to thank JR, MSH, and STX for the opportunity to participate in this LTR. This is my first LTR and I have really been looking forward to it. If anyone has questions please feel free to send me a PM.

Stick Specs

STX Surgeon 500

X9 Blade Pattern

75 Flex

Right

About Me

5'9"

155 lbs

Currently play mens league roller hockey one to two nights a week, so most of my review will be from the opinion on the other rink. I play defense the majority of the time but definitely not afraid to jump into the play. I also play on a pretty competitive tournament team so this stick will have a good opportunity to see some action.

I have currently been using a Base Supernatural and have used in the past a Reebok 11k, Bauer Total One, and an Easton S19.

Initially I was very impressed with this stick at unboxing. The thought of a new comer hitting the market puts some doubt in your mind when they are about to go against some giants in the industry but this is a high end product. It feels very light and well balanced and has an overall nice fit and finish. The graphics do remind me of a Mako but the color scheme is slightly different with the teal accent in there. The white on the shaft has a pearlescent look to it which then tapers to a black matte and matte carbon blade. The only thing that I would change about the appearance would be the placement of Surgeon logo on the shaft. It lines right up where my glove is on my lower hand blocking most of it while playing. If they where to lower it closer to the blade it would be more visible. The flex feels true to a 75 in the other brand I have used. The grip is not overly grippy and the shape has comfortable double concave feel.

First Use

I had an opportunity to use it last night for the first time and I really enjoyed it. I was limited on the shots that I was able to take through out the game but had no issues with the transition from my other stick. The puck felt like a rocket coming off my stick on the shots I did take and there was excellent puck feel while stick handling. I did take some slashes and one hard enough chip some of the grip coating and paint, but with no structural damage.

I have another league game next week with a tournament approaching that weekend. I'm looking forward to having more of an opportunity to use the Surgeon and report back on my thoughts.

I will post some pics later too!

Through about eight skates....

I'm really impressed with this stick. The puck feel is surprising great. I have been taking and receiving passes better than most of the previous sticks I've used. When receiving a pass, its controlled and there isn't any reflection off the blade.

I've taken mainly snap shots with it since this is my favorite and strongest shot. The puck comes off the blade hard and fast. I try to shoot from the toe and haven't had a problem putting a shot where I want it. Even with using the X9 pattern with its mild curve, I'm able to roof it from close range on a snapper. The slappers I have taken also come off the blade strong and accurate.

I just used it this weekend for a tournament where I skated 4 games in two days. I adopted a new role of grinding forward for the tourney because of the over whelming amount of defenseman rostered. So this stick saw plenty of digging in the corners along the boards and hacks and whacks in front of the net. I was finally able to net a couple goals out of it. With all the grinding it lost some more paint chips and a small chip where the blade meets the shaft opposite of the heel, but nothing that would discourage my thoughts on its durability.

So it's been a really long time since my last update, my apologies to the community on that. I recently got married and between the wedding and honeymoon I spent some time away from the rink. Also a sore knee and badly bruised foot have taken some games out of my schedule.

So currently I am still using the STX every game as my number one. It's still performing great, actually scored a nice goal last night. I would like to post some up to date pics soon to show how's it's worn. It's holding up well with only paint chips and only a minor chip on the shaft and some chipping near the toe. Accuracy, flex, and grip are still consistent.

So the surgeon suffered it's first sign of it's demise. I have a crack that running across the top of the blade closer to the shaft. At first I thought it was a seam, but it's definitely a crack. It's not causing the blade to go soft, the blade still feels stiff and I don't hear any foam if I try to flex it with my hand. I will keep using it as my number one until it loses the stiffness or breaks.

Still currently using the Surgeon as my number one. Recently played a quick weekend tourney with it and have been using it consistently in the league play. The blade hasn't gone soft yet, but the crack has gotten worse. I thought this blade would be dead by now but i pleasantly surprised at its durability. It definitely helps that I'm playing with a roller puck that has less weight to it.

I have been asking myself the question of whether or not I would buy this stick again considering the amount of competition in the marketplace these days. I'm not usually one for paying retail on sticks/ I will typically wait for deals on last years model. If I had to put this up against any of the other stick I've used.. this has been my favorite, so yeah I would buy one of these.

So unfortunately I have had the make the Surgeon my back up. It has started to split at the top of the blade where the blade meets the shaft. With the splits the blade has gotten soft enough that you can flex it in your hands. I'm sure it still has some life in it and may get some use here and there.