Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

I'm gonna make another quick suggestion...make sure you buy goalie knee pads and make sure they're on snug so they don't slide down your leg...because the one time your kneecap is exposed, you are going to get hit with a puck there and it's not going to be pleasant.

ow.

I have the Vaughn garter which works quite well. You basically have to set it at the shortest length since the straps are elastic, but after buying it I've had no such issues with sliding knee pads.

I have the Vaughn garter which works quite well. You basically have to set it at the shortest length since the straps are elastic, but after buying it I've had no such issues with sliding knee pads.

I'll have to look into that, thanks. The bruise looked pretty cool at least

Injury prevention is the next big one. Stretch, improve your flexibility, especially in hips, knees, quads, hamstrings, IT bands. There's some great videos on YouTube for stretches for goalies. They've really helped me.

Cannot reemphasize this point... We all age, and muscles etc get less used. Stretches in the morning and evening help with flexibility. If you can do at lunch its great as well.

Wife told me if i lose 50 lbs that I can buy nice stuff as a reward. Pretty sure I'm going to get Brian's S Series.

Not a bad incentive actually. I lost about 25lbs over a year, and the wife now tells me I have to put on more weight. No incentive other than that... no gifts, no hugs, no new hockey gear...

Not a bad incentive actually. I lost about 25lbs over a year, and the wife now tells me I have to put on more weight. No incentive other than that... no gifts, no hugs, no new hockey gear...

Well, she gets a new chanel purse when she does the same, so it's a fair trade.

Well, they're consistent, in that they hurt in exactly the same place all the non-mako player skates hurt.

I might get a pair of Mako II for playing out and have these cowlings put on to my Makos.

They may be tolerable with super feet though. They're almost the exact same fit as Nexus.

The most important thing is to just start playing, and not be a big PUSS.

I think as long as you don't flinch, try your best like a monkey to make saves, you will not get made fun of.

Also, one must want to get hit with the hard shots, love getting bruises, and slide on their knees.

Angles, reading plays, and all that good stuff comes with time, and some good suggestions in previous posts about using YOUTUBE n all that.

Enjoy, because its a mind f*** playing in net aka crazy goalie syndrome.

Just wait until you are also wearing the big pads as well. Makes it even worse.

I may be in the minority but I find skating easier with all my equipment on (this includes my player equipment when using player skates). For some reason, I find it really awkward having to skate without any equipment on.

• Like 1

Actually have a question of my own now:

One of the benefits of working at a rink is that I can keep my equipment in a storage room and not have to lug two sets of gear in and out of my car every time I wanna play- this lets me easily fill in as the second goaltender when two don't show up.

I feel like I'm getting better...but a good 80% of the goals I let in this past session were short side as a result of me not hugging the post correctly. Are there any specific drills I can do to help this, or do I have to just consciously figure it out? Thanks

Where is the puck when you are getting beat? I find I am rarely standing when against the post and I am either in the VH position or reverse VH position.

VH Position
Hockey-Goalie-Training-Drills.jpg

Reverse VH Position
Reverse-VH.jpg

The part I'm now having the most difficulty with is that the butterfly position is kind of uncomfortable. It's an awkward movement, I have a good foot of space in the 5-hole, and it kinda hurts my knees when I go down. I should mention this is while on skates (with guards on) at home, as I don't yet have all my gear to be able to even consider hitting the ice.

Maybe my mechanics are bad. Does anyone have suggestions on videos or something that shows the fundamentals? Unfortunately starting this as an adult there isn't a whole lot of practice opportunity and I'm not sure jumping right into pickup is the best idea either.

Is the ProHybrid series any good? Does it go over fundamentals or does it assume you already know the basics?

The part I'm now having the most difficulty with is that the butterfly position is kind of uncomfortable. It's an awkward movement, I have a good foot of space in the 5-hole, and it kinda hurts my knees when I go down. I should mention this is while on skates (with guards on) at home, as I don't yet have all my gear to be able to even consider hitting the ice.

Maybe my mechanics are bad. Does anyone have suggestions on videos or something that shows the fundamentals? Unfortunately starting this as an adult there isn't a whole lot of practice opportunity and I'm not sure jumping right into pickup is the best idea either.

Is the ProHybrid series any good? Does it go over fundamentals or does it assume you already know the basics?

Have you been checking out the goalie store bulletin board? They have the depth there to help out with these kinds of things.

Pads need to be played with a lot to get rotation around your leg. I have goalie gear that I use for shinny / pick-up when people are short goalies and it took me a while to get it right and I can't replicate it twice in a row. It has a lot to do with the laces and strap set-up... and your mechanics.

Try the "No Rebounds" video for a start. My buddy lent it to me and it is worth the look.

• Like 1

Since you mentioned No Rebounds...

Steve McKichan released a pretty good .pdf guide to goaltending a few years back. It would be worth tracking down (it was free).

If you film yourself dropping down from the front I can tell you what you are doing and what needs to be changed to get the results you want. Taking pictures can help as well.

I should clarify with I can point you in the right direction.

Edited by Hills

Stretch. A lot. And then stretch some more. I have the same issue with the 5 hole at first, but you loosen up over time. You need to be cognizant of it when you're on the ice, or it will be exposed.

• Like 1

If you film yourself dropping down from the front I can tell you what you are doing and what needs to be changed to get the results you want. Taking pictures can help as well.

I should clarify with I can point you in the right direction.

Ah, great idea. I'll try that, and post it.

Stretch. A lot. And then stretch some more. I have the same issue with the 5 hole at first, but you loosen up over time. You need to be cognizant of it when you're on the ice, or it will be exposed.

Oh yes, I'm 100% sure my flexibility is bad. VERY bad. Maria Mountain videos are fantastic and I'll be trying her stretches out.

It's actually more up-to-date...I don't recall ever seeing the one you posted, actually. Interesting. The one I'm talking about is also about twice the length, hehe.

Ah! haha okay then. I'll keep looking but even this one isn't half bad, if dated.

Do you have any mid-day public skating (not pickup, just skating) sessions you could go to? I've seen people (kids, admittedly) skating around in new pads at a public skating session to break them in, and if it was mid-day and not too crowded you might be able to try dropping into butterfly and otherwise maneuvering in them without the added mess of full gear and people taking shots on you.

Do you have any mid-day public skating (not pickup, just skating) sessions you could go to? I've seen people (kids, admittedly) skating around in new pads at a public skating session to break them in, and if it was mid-day and not too crowded you might be able to try dropping into butterfly and otherwise maneuvering in them without the added mess of full gear and people taking shots on you.

They have a pretty strict "no hockey equipment" rule during public sessions (even when they're totally dead during the middle of the day). Maybe I'll see what the policies are at the other rinks that are semi-local.

They have a pretty strict "no hockey equipment" rule during public sessions (even when they're totally dead during the middle of the day). Maybe I'll see what the policies are at the other rinks that are semi-local.

Really? I can understand no sticks or pucks, but no padding, either? That's kinda weird.

I wish I could offer more advice, I'm still stuck on dry land trying to remember that I have pads on and can actually drop and cover the bottom of the net. :laugh:

Thats cool. I asked the local rink about private 1-on-1 instruction and they said it was $50/hr. That's a price that's pretty easy to swallow; I was expecting it to be much more. I'll do 3-4 sessions of that just to get some fundamentals once I have the rest of my pads, and then try the beginner pickup (tuesday nights its an hour of drills and then an hour of pickup, all meant for beginners).

In the meantime, stretching, stretching, and more stretching.