Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

On 9/21/2017 at 2:15 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Here's the latest video from pickup. 

You have the right idea about coming out to cut the angle off, but you are coming out to early; this gives them a larger portion of the net by just using the length of there stick.   You are vulnerable because you can't back skate fast enough.   

The way you are coming out now is how you would handle a shot from the point because from out there you are talking up most of the net .

When the play is coming at you you have to come out and meet the play, not go out and anticipate the play coming or wait for it to come to you.    

Legs are a little to wide .it's faster to put the leg out then it is to pull it in        had a couple shooters that sweeping your stick  .     

You are screwed as far as having defensemen doing anything to help you .  

• Facepalm 1

On 12/3/2017 at 10:12 AM, badger_14 said:

Things have actually been going pretty well with hockey.  I have a nice routine down at the gym (and elsewhere) practicing hand-eye with a tennis ball and it's been very helpful.  My whole body is still pretty slow, but I track the play much better, so until I shed another (x) pounds and get literally lighter, one does what one can. 

Yesterday was a good game for the most part - it's pickup, we played for like an hour and a half, I let in a tolerable number of goals for pickup (like 7 or 8?) - excepting near the end. 

So I've just covered a shot.  Blocked it with my pad and smothered it under my glove.  The puck is covered, it is going nowhere, I am in partial tetris position at the post.  This one player, though, keeps jamming at my hand.  My teammates are trying to get him to stop (bless them) but it's going on forever with no end in sight. Since I really like my hand, I go to poke this guy with my stick, and accidentally prod him in the crotch.  Not very hard, but accidentally pegging anybody in the crotch (male or female really) isn't good, and I take full ownership of that.  However, his immediate response was to cross-check me in the head.  Hard.  Then skate off to the bench and bitch to everyone about what I did.  I am dizzy at this point, but it's near the end of the game so whatever. 

I apologized to him after the game, of course.  He did not really apologize to me (there was a "sorry if I hit you", which is bull, because he absolutely hit me), so I'm a little salty about that.

But my play was good, so I feel okay about that at least.

The dude is a douche. Stick going for the puck and the glove gets there a fraction of a second sooner , happens.  But don't beat your hand up

10 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

You have the right idea about coming out to cut the angle off, but you are coming out to early; this gives them a larger portion of the net by just using the length of there stick.   You are vulnerable because you can't back skate fast enough.   

The way you are coming out now is how you would handle a shot from the point because from out there you are talking up most of the net .

When the play is coming at you you have to come out and meet the play, not go out and anticipate the play coming or wait for it to come to you.    

Legs are a little to wide .it's faster to put the leg out then it is to pull it in        had a couple shooters that sweeping your stick  .     

I seriously can't take it anymore.

It's not the 80's.  Stop posting input and advice based on what happened in the 80s.  Just stop.  You have absolutely no idea what the hell you're talking about.  The game has changed.  And it is painfully clear that you have not changed with it.  I don't think I've seen you post one piece of information that is relevant in today's game.  I can't tell if you're serious or just being a troll.  I suspect the latter.

Because of the ability to slide laterally on the pad, goaltending has become about getting wide and creating depth as soon as possible.  The width of the stance covers the bottom of the net and allows lateral movement, the depth eliminates the aerial angle.  There's no moving a leg out or bringing it in anymore.  Now the pads stay in place because of the wide stance and the knees drive to the ice,  That's faster than anything because the length of travel is short, and the stick covers some of the vulnerable area.  If anything, Chris isn't wide enough.

Don't reply or argue.  Just learn.

Edited by psulion22
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, psulion22 said:

I seriously can't take it anymore.

It's not the 80's.  Stop posting input and advice based on what happened in the 80s.  Just stop.  You have absolutely no idea what the hell you're talking about.  The game has changed.  And it is painfully clear that you have not changed with it.  I don't think I've seen you post one piece of information that is relevant in today's game.  I can't tell if you're serious or just being a troll.  I suspect the latter.

Because of the ability to slide laterally on the pad, goaltending has become about getting wide and creating depth as soon as possible.  The width of the stance covers the bottom of the net and allows lateral movement, the depth eliminates the aerial angle.  There's no moving a leg out or bringing it in anymore.  Now the pads stay in place because of the wide stance and the knees drive to the ice,  That's faster than anything because the length of travel is short, and the stick covers some of the vulnerable area.  If anything, Chris isn't wide enough.

Don't reply or argue.  Just learn.

Sir, you have to take small steps when learning. Its not done anymore ? Are we talking about clothing styles or stopping a black thing from going into the net ; Both of wich have not changed  !!! Right?  Has the puck or the net changed?? Where isnt it done any more ? That would be at the Elite levels . Of wich this league is not .Chris is coming out of net to soon.  I said a little to far apart,not miles apart on the feet .   The point is to stop the puck? Or did that change too? If you are getting up one leg at a time from a flop you are a sitting duck.  If you are already on the get up leg that saves Chris time !!! Almost 2.5 seconds of time to get up .  Keep it simple and work toward fancy like the guys on tv .  "THIS isn't done anymore"  like we are in a game of trends . Listen to your self!    What it is about is putting the black thing in the goal more than the other team. And the goaltenders job is to keep you in a position to do that .   Chris is asking how can stop this thing .   

And sir if I don't know what I am doing then you should be able to back your mouth up with skill ,since you can be disrespectful and shoot me down and criticise me then you must be better.   Do you think So? Would you like to put a wager on that . 

I mean that should be easy for an expert like you ?  

20 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

Chris, I'm just trying to help you stop the puck and saying what I know will help you  .... I will be happy to show you on the chalk board. I know probably no one use chalkboard any more .  It's actually easier to show you with a card cardboard goaltender and shooter and explain it to you . But all I have for video is my phone so I can't set that up to Skype and move the players to show you the positioning.    I will draw giagrams the best I can.... 

On 12/21/2017 at 3:16 PM, IPv6Freely said:

I'm very glad you're not in our leagues. You would not last. If nothing else, your team would be asking you to not come back. 

His situation is not a league where you would typically know the people going. He's talking about a drop in game with some rando. No need to give them the benefit of the doubt there.

55 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

His situation is not a league where you would typically know the people going. He's talking about a drop in game with some rando. No need to give them the benefit of the doubt there.

That doesn't change how unnecessarily douchey what you're suggesting would be. 

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

That doesn't change how unnecessarily douchey what you're suggesting would be. 

So you let someone just whack at your glove and then crosscheck you in the head in a pickup game? Sure, it may sound douchey, but this is one of those situations where if you let someone take an inch, they'll take a mile

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

So you let someone just whack at your glove and then crosscheck you in the head in a pickup game? Sure, it may sound douchey, but this is one of those situations where if you let someone take an inch, they'll take a mile

Hey folks merry Xmas.  If I got the situ right:  the glove got whaked and dug at (not cool)  . Then the dude that whacked and dug at the puck got a shot to the jewels  (also not cool)  . Then the guy hit the goalie in the Mellon  (not cool)  .  Things got out of hand all the way around . It also sounds like the guy that was digging at the glove didn't just start recreational hockey.  If he did that transition isn't easy.       To me the biggest issue is not having the class and character to accept the gracious apology.    That bugs the hell out of me.     You did the right thing for taking the high road. 

13 hours ago, sparky1 said:

Not exactly - it's an organized pick up, same folks every week.  The guy should, however, know better. 

40 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

Not exactly - it's an organized pick up, same folks every week.  The guy should, however, know better. 

Ah, ok, so that's a bit different then. Your OP stated it was just a pickup, so I just assumed it was a bunch of random people.

Either way, I was always taught to defend myself in situations like that, hence my response. If you know the person or play frequently with them and know their temperament for stuff like that, then I would say you could give people the benefit of the doubt. Still wrong for that guy to do that either way.

2 hours ago, sparky1 said:

Ah, ok, so that's a bit different then. Your OP stated it was just a pickup, so I just assumed it was a bunch of random people.

Either way, I was always taught to defend myself in situations like that, hence my response. If you know the person or play frequently with them and know their temperament for stuff like that, then I would say you could give people the benefit of the doubt. Still wrong for that guy to do that either way.

Aha, I should clarify that. It's not a league but it's approximately the same people each week, and having skated with this guy for nearly 3 years I should say he knows better than to hack at my glove (or anyone's). I would honestly be less angry at a random idiot because they're just a random idiot, but this guy (although he is not very good) has certainly played long enough to behave better. 

Well just an update on my progress since my first season last year...

I got my new/old gear from GGSU at Xmas time and everything fits well, most importantly, the catcher actually catches pucks haha.

In late Jan/ Feb I got asked to fill in for our summer league playoffs as a few goalies were out.   I played for one team in the first group and went 2-1 but didn't make it through.

Then in the final series one goalie went down and I got called up again and went 3-2 and won the cup!  , Boy was I nervous, my team was better but their goalie was on form and it went the distance (5 games series) It really helped my confidence knowing I could hang with some better players than what I will face in Winter

We're currently half way through Winter league and although my team is has a couple of better players than last season, I've also improved heaps.

My current record is 7-0-1 with 1.14 GAA and .931%   we're coming second to a team who have let in 11 goals in 11 games! We've played them twice and tied 2-2 and just last weekend we won 3-1 that was an awesome game form our guys.

I've even lost my nerves and don't need a beer beforehand anymore, I can just enjoy the game now.   But sometimes will still have a beer, because why not 😉 

• Like 4

Nice! That GAA and SV% is insane for beer league hockey. I’m usually around 3.00-4.00 GAA and I’m in the top half of the league in that regard, usually (gave up 11 on a night where we had 6 skaters so it’s all skewed this season)

Got pics of the gear?

One of my cowlings broke (not sure why or how) so I had to get them replaced.  Ironically, if they'd just had my size, I could have simply scored a new pair of the exact same skate for <$50.  (no foolin'.  Deep discount on the low-end skates here).  Anyhoo, replacement is fine but they had to sharpen the new blades and ...

And guys, I am not into sharpening my skates.  I get it done at best twice per year, and really more like once, depending on the ice I'm on and how much I'm skating.  I've gotten them at 3/4" before and either they didn't do that, or it has been way, way too long since I've had it done, because it felt *awful*, much too deep, and now I feel like I need to skate once a day for an entire week just to make them feel right again.  Or walk on concrete.  Or tap them against the posts. Something.  Ugh.  It felt better by the end of today but jeez. 

1 hour ago, badger_14 said:

One of my cowlings broke (not sure why or how) so I had to get them replaced.  Ironically, if they'd just had my size, I could have simply scored a new pair of the exact same skate for <$50.  (no foolin'.  Deep discount on the low-end skates here).  Anyhoo, replacement is fine but they had to sharpen the new blades and ...

And guys, I am not into sharpening my skates.  I get it done at best twice per year, and really more like once, depending on the ice I'm on and how much I'm skating.  I've gotten them at 3/4" before and either they didn't do that, or it has been way, way too long since I've had it done, because it felt *awful*, much too deep, and now I feel like I need to skate once a day for an entire week just to make them feel right again.  Or walk on concrete.  Or tap them against the posts. Something.  Ugh.  It felt better by the end of today but jeez. 

Honestly your best bet is to just get used to it and get them done more often. It’s never good to get used to dull skates because consistently becomes impossible.

On 6/22/2018 at 3:44 AM, IPv6Freely said:

Nice! That GAA and SV% is insane for beer league hockey. I’m usually around 3.00-4.00 GAA and I’m in the top half of the league in that regard, usually (gave up 11 on a night where we had 6 skaters so it’s all skewed this season)

Got pics of the gear?

The quality of the league is very different than you guys, I'm in New Zealand and this is the bottom of 3 grades for adults, but saying that the average is around 3-4 GAA so I'm definitely not taking my numbers for granted, a lot of hard work has gone into them.  I'll think about moving up next year but we'll see if I get any offers, but i think i'd take a hit and probably go 4-5 Gaa if I went up.

My gear is here (linked to FB so hope the picture works)  don't have a picture of my pads but they're older Itech Keven Weekes Pro returns, but unfortunatly the don't match my team colours  haha

1S Gloves, CCM Premier Pro Chest, NME10 Helmet, S170 Skates and CCM Pro stock pants. I've also put HAL's on the leg pads and love them, same as the option B straps on the skates, makes life easy for me.

25442843_10159691295945134_5810839319971

As for the guy below who doesn't sharpen his skates.... I can get that as a player, but as a goalie I found it real hard to get a bite etc, so I've started getting mine done every 10 or so times on the ice, and I find it makes a difference.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Honestly your best bet is to just get used to it and get them done more often. It’s never good to get used to dull skates because consistently becomes impossible.

That doesn't make any sense.  Not for what I'm describing anyway. If I had been having trouble moving and getting bite with the dull skates, that does make sense. But I haven't been having any trouble at all.  (I actually don't remember having this much trouble last time I had them done, which was at a different shop).  Whatever they did now (I asked them for 3/4".  Did they really do it?  Not sure now) it's far too much bite - feeling like I'm digging in so hard I'll trip or bend my ankle in a direction it's not meant to go.  

3 hours ago, badger_14 said:

That doesn't make any sense.  Not for what I'm describing anyway. If I had been having trouble moving and getting bite with the dull skates, that does make sense. But I haven't been having any trouble at all.  (I actually don't remember having this much trouble last time I had them done, which was at a different shop).  Whatever they did now (I asked them for 3/4".  Did they really do it?  Not sure now) it's far too much bite - feeling like I'm digging in so hard I'll trip or bend my ankle in a direction it's not meant to go.  

You ever try 1” ROH? I don’t know if this is true, but I have even heard that goalies went with a flat cross-grind. 

You’ll find your preference.

4 hours ago, badger_14 said:

The advice makes sense, it’s just a matter of whether you agree with it. 

Stated again for clarity, find a hollow you like when fresh and stick to it. Getting your skates done 1-2 times a year is not good.

• Like 1