Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

Heh yea I can't even imagine playing without knee pads anymore.

The skates aren't too bad. I found going back to player skates way harder than going to goal skates.

I'm having some MAJOR issues with getting up that I'm not even sure how to fix.

I mean, I'm not bounding up and down like Carey Price or anything, for sure, but I'm also not taking five minutes to convince myself to get up, and then to actually do it.

Some of my problems with getting up were (and are) balance-related (i.e., getting over the fear I would topple), some are strength. I think what helped most was this modified version of an exercise I saw on InGoal - this one - except instead of using a resistance band and pulling across, I get in that same position and toss a 2lb medicine ball from one hand to the other. A different version is holding the medicine ball straight out in one hand and kind of leaning forward and back while still in the same kneeling position.

Another goalie also suggested doing squats with a kettlebell.

I mean, I'm not bounding up and down like Carey Price or anything, for sure, but I'm also not taking five minutes to convince myself to get up, and then to actually do it.

Some of my problems with getting up were (and are) balance-related (i.e., getting over the fear I would topple), some are strength. I think what helped most was this modified version of an exercise I saw on InGoal - this one - except instead of using a resistance band and pulling across, I get in that same position and toss a 2lb medicine ball from one hand to the other. A different version is holding the medicine ball straight out in one hand and kind of leaning forward and back while still in the same kneeling position.

Another goalie also suggested doing squats with a kettlebell.

Maria Mountain is THE SHIT. Go watch all her youtube videos!

She also has a 14-day butterfly flare challenge, where you work on getting a wider flare if you follow her routine for 14 days.

Anyway, my issue is more that when I get up with\, for example, my left leg up first. I don't get my leg under me enough to be able to push my full weight up with that leg, so as a result I end up pushing up with my right foot. Except because I was in the butterfly my right foot is parallel to the ice and I end up pushing up with the inside of my foot, putting a TON of strain on my right ankle. There's been a couple days where going downstairs the morning after a game was difficult because my ankle hurt so much.

I'm going to take a video of it since its kind of hard to explain though really obvious when you see what I'm doing that it's bad news. I'm just not sure exactly how to fix it... if its strength, technique, both, or what.

Maria Mountain is THE SHIT. Go watch all her youtube videos!

She also has a 14-day butterfly flare challenge, where you work on getting a wider flare if you follow her routine for 14 days.

Anyway, my issue is more that when I get up with\, for example, my left leg up first. I don't get my leg under me enough to be able to push my full weight up with that leg, so as a result I end up pushing up with my right foot. Except because I was in the butterfly my right foot is parallel to the ice and I end up pushing up with the inside of my foot, putting a TON of strain on my right ankle. There's been a couple days where going downstairs the morning after a game was difficult because my ankle hurt so much.

I'm going to take a video of it since its kind of hard to explain though really obvious when you see what I'm doing that it's bad news. I'm just not sure exactly how to fix it... if its strength, technique, both, or what.

Oh, I happily watch many of them, and try to take notes so I can remember what to try at the gym. Some of the exercises are stuff I incorporate from past physical therapy as well, for balance and the like.

I'm actually really flexible to begin with, but for me there's a very fine line between "I don't feel any stretch" and "oh jesus I think I dislocated something". I can sprawl and flare and do the splits all day, but I need to build up the strength to go with that more than the initial flexibility.

Hm, that does sound weird/uncomfortable. I try to get up the same way I do as a skater. Do you have the same problem there?

Oh, I happily watch many of them, and try to take notes so I can remember what to try at the gym. Some of the exercises are stuff I incorporate from past physical therapy as well, for balance and the like.

I'm actually really flexible to begin with, but for me there's a very fine line between "I don't feel any stretch" and "oh jesus I think I dislocated something". I can sprawl and flare and do the splits all day, but I need to build up the strength to go with that more than the initial flexibility.

Hm, that does sound weird/uncomfortable. I try to get up the same way I do as a skater. Do you have the same problem there?

Not at all, I can get my leg under me with no issue as a player. I'll be making a video on it this weekend probably, so it will be easier to understand what I'm doing (wrong).

A couple of pics of me today - guy who runs the clinic will take some "after" photos when the spring session is done.

tumblr_nlkp1xoGAX1qlqleio2_540.jpg

tumblr_nlkp1xoGAX1qlqleio1_540.jpg

Oh god my butterfly is a shameful thing to behold. Can I pretend that some of it is because I don't have goalie skates yet? No? Okay.

• Like 1

Ha Ha..

someone clipped the wings off your butterfly :wink:

Honestly...keep it up!!! Will be cool to see your progress

I will have to meet up with you at one of your pickups and shoot on you... Nice Hockey Academy Jersey!

Z

Edited by Zylos45
  • Like 1

Ha Ha..

someone clipped the wings off your butterfly :wink:

Honestly...keep it up!!! Will be cool to see your progress

I will have to meet up with you at one of your pickups and shoot on you... Nice Hockey Academy Jersey!

Z

It just... hasn't come out of the chrysalis yet. Yeah, that's it. Still pupating. :ph34r:

I skate Saturdays in Somerville before the clinic, nowhere else so far. I tried StinkySocks but I think I'll hold off on that until I have goalie skates so I don't end up with a broken foot.

The skates aren't too bad. I found going back to player skates way harder than going to goal skates.

I experienced the same thing as well. I just started in net, and for 2 weeks I was only playing goal. The first time on the ice in player skates was pretty weird and uncomfortable. After abour 5 or 10 minutes I was back to normal though, and the more I have switched back and forth, the less time it takes to warm up to them (it's almost non-existent now). It was actually a reason I was hesitant to play goal; I still wanted to skate out but didn't want to screw up my ability to balance on player skates, lol.

Edited by blackout

I experienced the same thing as well. I just started in net, and for 2 weeks I was only playing goal. The first time on the ice in player skates was pretty weird and uncomfortable. After abour 5 or 10 minutes I was back to normal though, and the more I have switched back and forth, the less time it takes to warm up to them (it's almost non-existent now). It was actually a reason I was hesitant to play goal; I still wanted to skate out but didn't want to screw up my ability to balance on player skates, lol.

Yeah I don't even notice now when I switch between them, besides being able to make tighter turns on player skates.

The hockey gods are clearly angry with me: the train was late, I got bowled over by a player who lost their edge, and I had an asthma attack during the clinic.

On the other hand time put in at the gym has resulted in a pleasantly pretzel-ish sense of flexibility and range of motion while playing.

I'm thinking about making the switch to goal. My only experience on ice was many years ago when I played Bantams, but that was temporary until we got a full time goalie. Thanks for all of the great info in this thread!

• Like 2

I'm thinking about making the switch to goal. My only experience on ice was many years ago when I played Bantams, but that was temporary until we got a full time goalie. Thanks for all of the great info in this thread!

DO IT!! :)

Come to the dark side, we have cooler gear.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas! That is the plan. My buddy is a manager at Goalie Monkey so I am going to go visit him soon to get sized up for stuff. Just been researching like crazy for the past few days. I was already having minor panic attacks about my first start in adult league as a goalie, lol!

• Like 1

alright fellas, gear has been acquired! I'm going sunday afternoon to a public skate to break in my new goalie skates and plan to do the monday night adult skills clinic!

• Like 2

alright fellas, gear has been acquired! I'm going sunday afternoon to a public skate to break in my new goalie skates and plan to do the monday night adult skills clinic!

Nice! Details, please! What did you end up getting?

First game in the new skates. A bit stiff, as you might expect new skates to be, so a little pain on that count, but mostly soreness, nothing unbearably awful.

Other than that everything is all pear-shaped. First the blades felt too dull, probably because they're wider, because later they felt plenty sharp. Long, flat steel makes maneuvering precarious and I felt like I no longer knew how to drop properly. It got a little better, but the first time I dropped in warm up it felt like someone fired an electric shock up the outside of both thighs. Fucking smarts. I think that was the toe lacings, which I was trying since now I have goalie skates, but I took out immediately. I'll figure those out later. I've heard people recommend the bungee-style toe straps?

Things got better after about the first 2/3rds of the game, including the soreness, so hopefully I'll feel better next week. Overall kind of frustrating, but no fundamental problems with the skates, just a matter of climbing that steep learning curve. Next week I should be able to do the clinic afterward, too, so I'll get some tips from the coaches and some nice, slow practice not killing myself.

Once again I got hit in the Triangle-of-Pain (somewhere between the top of the medial padding and where my pants don't quite cover) where my thigh wraps do nothing. Is it possible to permanently damage muscles if you get hit in one place over and over again? I hope not. Obviously, my next paycheck should go toward proper knee protection.

• Like 2

well i survived my first stick time as tendy. it was fun, it was exhausting. i felt a bit dehydrated out there so i made sure to drink plenty of water every so often. there was another goalie out there, a high school kid who was legit! this was pretty much free for all and we did a lil cross ice 3 on 3. so i got some taste of trying to see the puck through traffic!

i felt awkward, bulky and silly at times but i did make some saves when people were taking shots from outside. i stopped a few deke attempts but towards the end, i was too beat to go down to try to make a save. i was trying to concentrate on my angles, and telescoping. i did make saves with each piece of equipment, so it was cool to see how they all felt when being hit with a puck. my right arm was also feeling very fatigued towards the end of the session. this was my first time wearing my goalie skates on the oce and they felt great, no pain at all! (graf goaler elite)

monday nights clinic should be exhausting as well but at least there will be a goalie coach out there to offer up instruction.

• Like 2

I've taken to filling my (32oz) water bottle about a quarter to a third of the way with gatorade, and the rest with water. I sweat like a racehorse under my gear, so much more than as a player, and the extra bit helps. Especially in a half-ice game where you have like zero breaks for a drink.

Personally I felt (in goalie skates) like I was almost impeded going down - like I was getting tripped up or had to do some kind of ballerina move to butterfly. How did it feel for you? Had you worn your pads at all before?

• Like 1

I've taken to filling my (32oz) water bottle about a quarter to a third of the way with gatorade, and the rest with water. I sweat like a racehorse under my gear, so much more than as a player, and the extra bit helps. Especially in a half-ice game where you have like zero breaks for a drink.

Personally I felt (in goalie skates) like I was almost impeded going down - like I was getting tripped up or had to do some kind of ballerina move to butterfly. How did it feel for you? Had you worn your pads at all before?

I use water only but that's just because I often squirt some on my face too.

I skated in the goal skates before I ever got pads so the weirdness was gone already. I never really noticed a difference once I was in pads though. Going back to player skates is far harder for me at this point.

This was my first time in all my pads on the ice. I tried everything on at home, but pretty much was just standing in place. I wanted to do a public skate with my goalie skates before I geared up for a stick time but that didnt happen. We are doing a public session Sunday, so that will be more time in the skates.

It did feel a bit awkward at first today, but only when skating and turning. The longer flat portiin of blade on the ice was certainly noticeable. I was just so relieved that I didnt experience any foot pain in the skates. I mades sure not to crank the laces down too hard and that worked out great.

I was trying to do some basic goalie drills on my own, but without have someone there to watch and correct my technique, I kind of gave up on them. Also, it got kind of old just having people coming in an essentialy doing breakaway attempts on me. After awhile if they didnt shoot from the top of the circles I just let them do their thing and didnt flinch. I wanted to try to work on covering the posts and have people shoot from different angles, but that disnt really happen either.

It was a fun first experience and I cant wait to get some instruction come Monday night.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the kind of session where people just want to dangle, deke, and score. Pickup is often like that. :( If you can wrangle a friend to go with you, maybe they can take some video. Doesn't have to be a goalie-friend, just so you can look at the footage later.

What my coaches have me (and the other goalies) doing most of the time is just movement - shuffles, t-pushes, more shuffles, forward, back. Slalom forward, slalom back. Rocking horse (or sausage link, depending on who taught you) forward and back. Lots of shuffling. If you don't feel up to shuffling, you can side-step. That helps build up the muscles and it's the foundation for everything else. The other basic drill is the 'two puck' drill, where you have one puck about a foot from the top of the crease at either post, skate up to one puck, skate back to the middle, skate out to the other, back to the opposite post. It's hard when you have people always swooping down to steal your puck, I'm sure. You could try tiny cones.

USA Hockey calls these "letter drills", because you make various letters of the alphabet as you skate, shuffle, and push your way around the crease. The example above would be an M. You can also try a W, an E, an A, or a V.

Some of the best advice I've gotten is head-hands-body. Where the eyes and head track, the hands and body follow. And we also do a drill where the goalie gets in stance at the top of the crease and the coach takes shots slightly to the left or slightly to the right, and your job is to track the puck and just side-step toward it. Not even shuffle - just step enough that it hits your glove, arm, blocker, etc. That's about moving your body to get in front of the shock, your body of course being a bigger target than your blocker, or what have you.

• Like 1

thanks badger! one of my goalie buddies is going to come out to a stick time with me and work with me. those drills sound fun and essential to learning the fundamentals of the position. i like the video of yourself idea as well. nothing like seeing what you actually look like vs what you think you look like!