Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

True A6.0 - hellavaanguard

First off I have to say a very heartfelt thank-you to JR, True, and MSH for this opportunity, I have read and learned from many of these LTR's and it's a big treat to get to do one.

Reviewer background: 5'7", ~130lbs

D-level beer leaguer, either wing, usually right side. Toe curve nerd

Playing style: 99% wrist shots, snap shots, and garbage goals. I like making good setups and trying to pull the Jagr "skate in from the half-boards and let a quick snap go" move whenever possible.

Recent sticks: Base Savoy special, both the fused and shaft/blade separate combo; Easton S19; Warrior Dynasty shaft

Review stick specs: True 6.0; Intermediate 65 flex, TC3 curve

photo5_zps82575db8.jpg

Off the bat: My initial impression after the unboxing was how light the stick is. It's a top of the line stick so I'm sure it's expected but nonetheless, very nice. Just looking the stick over, it's very clean. You can tell that True is a "new" company in name only, and in particular mostly new to the general buying public. The graphics are sleek, the decals are nicely applied; no raised edged or texture from them. True has been at this for a long time. If you are unfamiliar with True Temper (the company making this stick) and their history with hockey sticks, I recommend a read up in this thread

The carbon weave is visible throughout the stick and it has a very nice look. Overall the graphics package is reminiscent of the Easton RS series, a mostly black and grey theme with a bright color accent, in this case a metallic blue.

photo4_zps8a12101d.jpg

A nice touch is that the stick becomes a matte black as it gets down toward the blade, a nice touch that a lot of companies have jumped on as a reaction to many pros spray painting the bottom of their sticks. This is also where the sharkskin/ztac coating starts on the stick; which I feel it's worth noting that the black matte doesn't go down past the throat of the blade.

photo3_zpsfaf7eea7.jpg

The grit on the blade is very nice, it's a rather thin, fine layer of it instead of the very thick, coarse coating that was on the first stick I purchased from Base (I later bought a blade from them with the raw finish.) I was not a fan of the grit on the Base blade and had been a little reticent about the True stick coming with it, but given the more subtle nature of True's application of it I don't think I will encounter the issues I had with the Base blade (namely tape not wanting to stick to it.) The blade itself is nice and stiff, it's towards the thin side but not like an Ovechkin or Perron pro. I got out my macro lens to try to really show the fine texture

bladegriptexture2_zps87e1fa76.jpg

I opted for the TC3 curve which True states is similar to a Kreps/E28/W28 curve. I have not actually used a Kreps curve but have been very interested in trying one out since many companies are now offering it and as someone that uses intermediate sticks and prefers toe curves, I have a desire to support them in the marketplace with the hope that they sell well enough to stay on the market. The curve reminds me of a toned down James Neal pro pattern, the curve starts around the middle of the blade but has a soft kink at the toe where the blade opens up the most.

photo1_zpsa77c2bfb.jpg

photo2_zpscc47cf71.jpg

The shaft shape is fairly boxy, with softly rounded corners and a steady concave. It's dimensions feel similar to a One95 shaft and an older prostock James Neal Dolomite. The grip is very nice and well applied (just like the blade coating.) It is not overly tacky but with gloves on you don't feel like it will be slipping on you. The balance on the stick feels great, however I have to keep in mind that the stick comes at a length which is at the tip of my nose on skates, which is a bit taller than I typically use. I plan to use it at the stock length for my first skate on ice with it, and then shorten accordingly based on my initial experiences

Off-ice impressions for flex and feel: Just giving the stick a little push the flex feels nice, again it's tough for me to comment on it without going on the ice but overall it seems good. Stickhandling on dryland with first a green biscuit and then a golf ball, the puckfeel seems very good. You can tell where the puck (or ball) is on the blade, which seems to be lively.

As I mentioned at the beginning when talking about the graphics, as an overall impression of the stick, you can tell True knows what they are doing. The stick feels very well made. There is lots of attention to detail and just having the stick in your hands, it feels like a great stick. I will do my best to get on the ice as much as possible in the next week to have some on-ice impressions ASAP.

I got on the ice with the stick this weekend and came away from my first skate with it very impressed. I went to a practice session which was great because I got lots of time with a puck. The puck feel on the blade is great, it’s neither dead nor ceramic feeling, a nice in-between. As I mentioned I mentioned the blade is nice and stiff, but not to the point of the puck bouncing off of it from passes. You can feel where the puck is on the blade, it’s a nice lively feeling.

Shooting with the A6.0 is fantastic, a nice release but no lag. When I would really lean into a snapper I could feel the load and release, a nice natural motion; however the puck rockets off of the blade. The stock length is a bit much for me, so I will be taking off an inch or two before my next skate with it. Something that really jumped out is that while I had no problem loading the stick, there was zero “wet noodle” feeling when stick handling; which I got a good amount of in during a drill.

The TC3 is a great one that while being on the “hook” end of the spectrum, is still very useable, in the sense that someone coming from say a Sakic probably wouldn't have too much difficulty adapting. And the same from someone coming from a bigger curve (like an Ovi pro or Hossa pro.) I’ve been using a Base Russell (same pattern/curve as a Hossa pro but with a slightly taller paddle) for the past few months, and coming from that into the TC3 is an easy transition. It is a little less loft that the Russell and overall a smaller flare at the toe, but this is probably a good thing, I'm maybe a little less likely to shank one over the net that way. Comparing it to the Warrior Gionta pattern which I used for the better part of a year, they are similar curves but the TC3 is bigger, with more rocker at the toe. It’s definitely easier to elevate the puck with the TC3 and the rocker on the toe makes the “drag the puck in and rip it” motion have some more zip from the better blade contact.

No real damage to speak of since there wasn't any scrimmaging.

Here are some photo comparisons of the TC3 curve

Next to a Warrior Gionta (Gionta on the left)

IMG_7651_zpsda469bfe.jpg

Next to a Base Russell (Russell on the left)

IMG_7654_zps3eee4edc.jpg

And a comparison of the profiles of the TC3 and Russell (Russell) in front

cae7f8cc-da5c-4681-8251-8cc9d1a2b026_zps

Used my A6.0 for the first time at drop in and again, great things to say. I cut 1.5” off the stick after my first time on the ice with it, it’s still a bit longer of a stick than I’ve been using but the stick is so light, that it doesn’t really bother me. I wouldn’t mind the stick being a little shorter right out of the box but the lie and rocker of the curve word well at the current length (up to the tip of my nose on skates)

The flex didn’t feel majorly altered and shots still load and release very nicely. I let a few guys try the stick out before the shinny session started and they were very impressed. Was nice to get some feedback especially from someone with a much better shot than myself. The weight and overall feel were what seem to get commented on the most, as well as the curve. One guy mentioned that he'd heard of the True sticks and had been wanting to try them out; after doing so he asked me about their website, availability, etc. Anyone's that used it seems to be very impressed.

I got two goals in the session, which had a good pace and a lot of guys that could really skate; but it’s drop-in so who cares right? I mention it because I feel very comfortable and confident when I have the puck with this stick. The blade feel is great and in a game situation I can feel the puck on the blade very nicely. I did some basic back and forth passing with a buddy after the skate and I really liked the feel catching passes. The blade absorbs a nice amount of energy and the puck just seems to stick right to it.

No damage to report, a few normal scuffs from stick lifts, etc.

Sorry for the long gap between updates, was over in Slovakia for a few weeks. Finally got a league game in with the A6 last night. Again in warm ups it felt great, I’m still learning the ropes of shooting but when I would really lean in to a shot I can feel the shaft load up nicely, and as I’ve mentioned before the release has a very nice feel to it.

My first few shifts of the game were a little shaky, in part because I hadn’t been on the ice in a while and also because a teammate tweaked his knee badly in his first shift. Once I felt like I’d shaken the rust off I again felt the confidence with the puck that I mentioned earlier as well. The blade feel is a massive plus on this stick. It’s also great catching and sending passes. I pass off my backhand often and you can feel the puck roll off very clearly

It was a 14-2 blowout in our favor and I ripped several shots; though I’ve been prone to fluttery ones during games in the past these all had a much nicer sail to them. None of my shots found the back of the net but two generated rebounds that my teammates put away.

So far my only issue with the stick is the stock length of the intermediate model. I would say I'd prefer it to come off the rack an inch or two shorter, similar to how a few others companies are doing it; either that and/or a 60 flex int. I cut a little over an inch off and after a full game situation I think I need to take an another inch off the length. I always get nervous in doing this when a stick is feeling good flex wise, but it will be a good experiment and I can always put a plug back in.

Structure wise everything seems fine, just some normal slash marks around the lower third. Fortunately haven’t taken any nasty ones.

Had two more games and a practice session recently, I’ve definitely noticed a big improvement in my shot particularly in-game. The stick’s accuracy is great, when I remember to lift my head and look up before I shoot, the puck goes where I want it to. Got a garbage goal and a few that almost went in, which prompted the first few non-sarcastic “Nice shot, man” compliments from teammates in a long time with this guy.

My two favorite aspects of the A6.0 are definitely the puck feel, and the stick’s load/release. You definitely get a good feel for the stick’s motion and it has helped me get more accustomed to sliding my bottom hand down a little before taking a shot.

I also really love the T3 curve. A very nice, useable hook. Open enough to roof shots from in close, but not a crazy wedge; and with a nice flat heel/mid section for catching passes.

Sorry for the long delay between updates! I was on the road for most of last fall and then in Europe for a month over the holidays. For the last 5 or 6 weeks I have gotten a pretty good amount of ice time with the A6.0 and a few other sticks for comparison.

Comparing the A6.0 to a Warrior Widow that I picked up for cheap, I found the Widow to have a quicker release on shots, however it’s ceramic puck feel was a big turn off. Catching passes with the A6.0 really feels like the puck sticks to the blade, without it feeling dead. The blade is also still nice and stiff. There’s no mushy, “time to call it a day for this one” feeling after about 3 months of steady use.

The stick is holding up very well, recently it’s been through a handful of games and a lot of skills classes as well, with a lot of work on puck possession. I mention that because it’s seen a fair amount of slashes and stick lifts, it has it’s share of scuffs and scratches but I haven’t noticed anything structural.

The thing that always blows me away, literally every time I pick up the stick is the weight and balance. I’ve gotten to the point where in games, I only use it for the last half of the game to “keep it real.” I say this because realistically, another A6.0 is out of my budget, and thus I don’t want to get too spoiled by such a light and balanced product. With that said, I definitely plan to purchase another True stick down the line. I also have a “Gear Fusion 150S” which unless I am very mistaken, is a True Temper product with a different paint job. While it’s also a high end stick, it’s weight and in particular balance can’t really compare to the A6.

Another long delay between updates, but it's simply because the stick is still going strong. The blade still feels great catching passes or taking shots, shaft still has nice spring/kick, and so forth. I've asked a few high level guys that I've seen at drop ins/stick & pucks to take it for a spin, and without fail, everyone first comments at the weight and balance.

Something I feel worth noting is the durability of the sandpaper/sharkskin finish on the blade. I'd used a Base stick in the past that had their version of the old ztac/sharkskin, and it tended to chip off, sometimes in pretty large chunks. For a couple of games I did the Ovi style tape job on the blade of just over half of it covered. I was very surprised to see that while of course the blade showed wear from pucks and sticks, the grit coating did not come off the way it did on the Base blade

IMG_1011_zpslvyfg95p.jpg

IMG_1012_zpsjumv8sko.jpg

I always fully tape my blade including over the toe so it isn't a huge deal for me, but regardless of that, someone that does a more minimalist tape job (in the style of say Jamie Benn to name a modern player with that style) I imagine the coating would hold up for a long time.