Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

2014-2015 Gear Sightings

How would Reebok benefit from drawing parralels to Nikes keynote professional uniform design?

Because teenagers love nike, and right now, teenagers love flashy neon highlighting.

I think nike did an amazing job with nfl apparel. Evolution not revolution. I know alot of people disliked the team usa jersey for the olympics with the clear stars but i think that was subtle, elegant and meaningful. Whatever they did with this allstar jersey reminds me of one of those hideous sublimated beer league jerseys.

A much better comparison is what Nike does for the"Pro Combat" jerseys for college teams, particularly the ridiculous Oregon uniforms.

Although it's subjective (coming from a graphic designer by trade) nike has by far the best design aesthetic out there. I mean perfect example is the seahawks uniform. It's one of the most innovative uniform designs to date in the sports space. This is what makes nike style so great. they have the best of both worlds; function and fashion. From a sports apparel perspective there's no denying they are the most technologically original sporting goods designer in history.

If they are to get the next contract from the NHL i expect to see some great things. Even though most traditionalists will not be happy with that move, the product will undoubtedly benefit from it.

Although it's subjective (coming from a graphic designer by trade) nike has by far the best design aesthetic out there. I mean perfect example is the seahawks uniform. It's one of the most innovative uniform designs to date in the sports space. This is what makes nike style so great. they have the best of both worlds; function and fashion. From a sports apparel perspective there's no denying they are the most technologically original sporting goods designer in history.

If they are to get the next contract from the NHL i expect to see some great things. Even though most traditionalists will not be happy with that move, the product will undoubtedly benefit from it.

There are a few issues I have with Nike that makes me scared if they go into the NHL market, and that is coming from someone that LOVES their international stuff.

1) While I love their crazy and non-traditional designs for their international jerseys I DO NOT want to see them do a "Modern" taken on the Habs, Red Wings, Black Hawks, Rangers etc. The Stadium Series games for these guys was bad enough but I can see Nike really doing something ridiculous ala this years all star jerseys

2) I absolutely LOVE Nike Swift authentic jerseys for Olympics and World Championship and Juniors... which that said I don't think these jerseys could really hold up in an NHL season. I like them for being different but for actually wearing I prefer the Reebok Edge 2.0 material.

3) Reebok has screwed consumers pretty bad when it comes to their replica jerseys in terms of quality and price. They have royally screwed the people who want authentic jerseys which are basically impossible to find except for one ebay retailer. Case in point Ducks Wild Wing Selanne authentic jersey will probably never be available to the public and the only way to get one was to get one of the limited ones from the Ducks for $1000.

Nike is even worse with this. In Canada I couldn't buy replicas for most of the teams at the Olympics. And even then the replicas were a joke compared to the old ones and the authentic ones, they basically wore like a sweater and not a jersey (I could never see me wearing it for actual hockey). Nike then makes the World Junior replicas even worse... they are the cheapest made material and details I have ever seen (that crappy heat pressed All-Star logo on this years All Star jersey is what the logos and patches of most of the teams for this years juniors were made of) and they honestly feel like a Walmart Fan replica shirt. Nike also rarely or never releases Authentics for purchase. I probably would've bought 8 different Olympic authentic jerseys, but NOOO screw us.

So tl;dr From someone who loves Nike International stuff, I would be very scared if Nike took over NHL duties.

There are a few issues I have with Nike that makes me scared if they go into the NHL market, and that is coming from someone that LOVES their international stuff.

1) While I love their crazy and non-traditional designs for their international jerseys I DO NOT want to see them do a "Modern" taken on the Habs, Red Wings, Black Hawks, Rangers etc. The Stadium Series games for these guys was bad enough but I can see Nike really doing something ridiculous ala this years all star jerseys

2) I absolutely LOVE Nike Swift authentic jerseys for Olympics and World Championship and Juniors... which that said I don't think these jerseys could really hold up in an NHL season. I like them for being different but for actually wearing I prefer the Reebok Edge 2.0 material.

3) Reebok has screwed consumers pretty bad when it comes to their replica jerseys in terms of quality and price. They have royally screwed the people who want authentic jerseys which are basically impossible to find except for one ebay retailer. Case in point Ducks Wild Wing Selanne authentic jersey will probably never be available to the public and the only way to get one was to get one of the limited ones from the Ducks for $1000.

Nike is even worse with this. In Canada I couldn't buy replicas for most of the teams at the Olympics. And even then the replicas were a joke compared to the old ones and the authentic ones, they basically wore like a sweater and not a jersey (I could never see me wearing it for actual hockey). Nike then makes the World Junior replicas even worse... they are the cheapest made material and details I have ever seen (that crappy heat pressed All-Star logo on this years All Star jersey is what the logos and patches of most of the teams for this years juniors were made of) and they honestly feel like a Walmart Fan replica shirt. Nike also rarely or never releases Authentics for purchase. I probably would've bought 8 different Olympic authentic jerseys, but NOOO screw us.

So tl;dr From someone who loves Nike International stuff, I would be very scared if Nike took over NHL duties.

There were rumors Adidas would take over the NHL jerseys, to give them more exposure in North America. If they actually do that, there is very little chances Nike would ever do the uniforms for the NHL teams.

Just to give you an example, Adidas will pay 75 millions pounds (128 millions US$) per year for 10 years to do the Manchester United. Nike was paying 23.5 millions pound for the last 13 years. They have the money, and I'm pretty sure they would use it.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28282444

EDIT: Apparently, if Adidas was to take control of the NHL deal, they would possibly extend the contract for 10 more years. That would be nice (from my point of view at least).

Source: http://nypost.com/2014/02/01/adidas-may-distance-reebock-from-team-sports/

You may want to check your facts on this. It is the TEAM charging that amount, NOT Reebok. The jersey cost to the team is in the neighborhood of $175USD each.

Or when you don't deliver product...

It's coming up for bid, so, they're going to have to win it instead of extending it!

Oh I know it is the team charging that. But there has to be reasons no one but the Baron can get these jerseys to sell, and so far he is saying he wont be able to get those.

ON the Sportsnet series "Draft Year", one of the players on the Portland WInterhawks is shown in the dressing room wearing CCM branded Reebok 20K shoulder pads. Sorry no pic.

ON the Sportsnet series "Draft Year", one of the players on the Portland WInterhawks is shown in the dressing room wearing CCM branded Reebok 20K shoulder pads. Sorry no pic.

I think that was Nic Petan in those pro white reebok rebranded ccm shoulder pads.

I'm hearing David Perron will be debuting the CCM Ribcor skate tomorrow night, in white trim (which will be available retail next year.)

Out of curiosity, when will the 2015 CCM catalog be released? Sort of off topic, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread.

Last night was the first night. I noticed it as well. Actually was wondering when the change would come being that the other gear was changing piece by piece.

Hehe should've asked Dana to leave the SB holders on them before taking that picture, or maybe ones with just the boot if they came in that way.

Hehe should've asked Dana to leave the SB holders on them before taking that picture, or maybe ones with just the boot if they came in that way.

Why Dana?! It has been 4 years since Talbot left PIT.

I'm watching the Pitt/NYR game and Malkin is using a Ribcor. Is that new?

i think he's been using it for a few games now. i saw it a week or so back