Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WillieTaliban

Cutting a stick to add Oggie grip

I have a Bauer Nexus 400 INT 60 flex. I always use INT sticks uncut if they are 57" because I like a really whippy flex and have to cut SR sticks too much. I recently got an Oggie Classic grip after searching around, and I want to try it out, but I never realized you have to cut almost 8" off of the stick to attach it. I have never put in a plug but I want to know if I cut my 60 flex, then put this grip on, will it make up for the cut and return it to the original 60-ish flex, or will the flex be determined by the cut, meaning it will now be closer to 80. Thanks in advance.

Thanks, just to clarify, if i was using a plain wood plug and did the same thing, cut a 60 flex about 7 inches and then added 7 inches of plug, it would still be a 60 flex? and doing so with the Oggie would make it 60 flex again PLUS the added flex point of the Oggie grip itself? I am sorry if these seem like dumb questions I have never used extensions or grips. I am thinking if that is the case I could turn my stick into a spaghetti noodle with all that flex.

Actually, I think it will be stiffer. I believe the retail Oggie is roughly an 85 flex. It's been about four years since I talked to Joe and the conversation was on the phone, so I can't look it up, while he was getting me some demo Oggies...but I believe he said retail is (equivalent) 85, stiff is 100 and x-stiff is 110.

I do recall thinking that it was closer to 80 flex but it's really hard to tell when you're adding flex to a shaft of a different flex.

Thanks, I tried it out for a while and it just wasn't for me. The stick felt really weird with it on there, I don't know if it was the Oggie so much as the 60 flex stick, which is less than I usually use, I tend to go for 75, but the thing just felt like it was flexing in about 3 different spots, and my shot was terrible with it. Also, i noticed I had wrist pain like I hadn't felt in a long time in my top hand, I think it may have been from the oggie being that much stiffer than the stick or something. I heated it up and took it out and for now the Bauer Nexus will be my backyard shooting pad stick while I go back to Sher-wood intermediates for my games...

I use an Oggie ergo grip, love it. The classic grip does not seem to give much added benefit beyond a Tacki Mac (benefit being just saving your gloves) IMO.

Did you shim it? I put a ton of tape of the knob that enters the shaft, so much that I have to put all of my body weight into it, to get it to lock in, AFTER having heated both shaft and Oggie. Once it's in there though, it is locked in like a vice.

The oggiegrip YouTube channel has a good video on how to do it. I'd link but can't figure out how on this device that I am using.

Oh yeah the plug itself was in there great it took me pulling the soul out of that thing to get it back out. It was the grip part that surrounds the plastic/fiberglass plug. It would kinda move with my hand when turning my wrist over quickly.

Yeah I use Tacki Macs on all my sticks now. The classic Oggie just moved around too much like a bike handlebar grip it was awful

If you contact Joe at Oggie, he can make custom grips in any design or length that you want. They aren't all that cheap but they hold up pretty well.

Yeah, the custom Oggies are nice, not sure what they cost but there are a lot of options and they are top notch quality. Joe was nice enough to make me some that looked like my tape job in a stiff flex one with a hard finish and one with a slightly spongy finish.

IMG_4665.jpg

These are available in short lengths like this or longer lengths and also in the ergo versions and in at least three different flexes.