Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingofnooyork

Need a Cage

Havent worn a cage since high school. (long time ago ;) Im kind of sick of getting hit with sticks for years with a shield. I know there's no "best" cage but i was wondering what the most popular ones might be right now? I have Bauer 4500 helmets.

You're right, there's no best cage, but I've found the lighter the better. I was wearing a 4500 when I finally switched from a visor to a cage a few years ago. The additional weight made the helmet feel like it tilted forward on my head.

i have found that the bauer true vision 7500 to be the best. i compared the re-akt to it and the 7500 had better vision and the weight difference was negligible. you might be able to find these on clearance a low price as well

I bought one of the cheapest bauer cages just to get a feel and see if i can adapt. No dice. I could see fine but for some reason the cage creates depth of perception issues. I just felt vulnerable/wobbly. Guess i'll stick to the shield for now as long as i have health insurance!

I bought one of the cheapest bauer cages just to get a feel and see if i can adapt. No dice. I could see fine but for some reason the cage creates depth of perception issues. I just felt vulnerable/wobbly. Guess i'll stick to the shield for now as long as i have health insurance!

You'd get used to it over time. You won't even notice the bars there eventually.

I have too much self dignity for a fishbowl :wink: They fog up way too much on me. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

The Avision masks are great, and don't fog up at all! Highly recommend.

You'd get used to it over time. You won't even notice the bars there eventually.The Avision masks are great, and don't fog up at all! Highly recommend.

I second the Avision. Mine fogs now, but it took a fair bit of time for mine to fog. The best thing? You can replace the lens.

The new Bauer Profile 2 is going to be huge. It has a similar bar structure to the classic FM 480/580, but with a smaller profile, flat wires and a lighter weight, plus the option to get it in white or Oreo style. The Bauer Tru-vision style cages (Reakt, 9900, etc) never suited my field of vision, and I suspect that is true for many when you look at the popularity of the FM 580 style amongst elite players who wear cages (NCAA, Olympic women, etc.). It's definitely a individual preference, check it out for yourself.

The new Bauer Profile 2 is going to be huge. It has a similar bar structure to the classic FM 480/580, but with a smaller profile, flat wires and a lighter weight, plus the option to get it in white or Oreo style. The Bauer Tru-vision style cages (Reakt, 9900, etc) never suited my field of vision, and I suspect that is true for many when you look at the popularity of the FM 580 style amongst elite players who wear cages (NCAA, Olympic women, etc.). It's definitely a individual preference, check it out for yourself.

MarsB,

How much weight difference are we talking between an equivalent sized Bauer Profile 2 and a CCM 580? Is the difference noticeable? Just curious because you mentioned lighter weight than a CCM cage. I don't like the Bauer Tru-Vision stuff either and I enjoyed the Itech Oreo stuff in the past so the Profile 2 interests me.

MarsB,

How much weight difference are we talking between an equivalent sized Bauer Profile 2 and a CCM 580? Is the difference noticeable? Just curious because you mentioned lighter weight than a CCM cage. I don't like the Bauer Tru-Vision stuff either and I enjoyed the Itech Oreo stuff in the past so the Profile 2 interests me.

Unfortunately I don't have a scale to weigh them, but hefting them side by side there is a slight but noticeable difference in weight. As mentioned, the thinner bars and slightly closer fit of the Profile II probably help account for this. Also, measuring side by side the cages (both in size L), the Profile II is slightly shorter than the 580 (maybe 1/4 inch), but they both fit my face similarly. If you like that style of cage, I would definitely recommend checking it out.

Worst of both worlds, imho. A shield to fog up, and the distraction of bars whenever you look down. Maybe this model is better, but there is a reason the hybrids haven't been very popular.

Unfortunately I don't have a scale to weigh them, but hefting them side by side there is a slight but noticeable difference in weight. As mentioned, the thinner bars and slightly closer fit of the Profile II probably help account for this. Also, measuring side by side the cages (both in size L), the Profile II is slightly shorter than the 580 (maybe 1/4 inch), but they both fit my face similarly. If you like that style of cage, I would definitely recommend checking it out.

Thanks for the info MarsB. I'm intrigued by the Profile 2 now so I'll have to check it out in store. I had an Itech oreo mask years ago but now have a black FM580. The FM580 is fine except for times when the puck takes a funny bounce and then you have to find the puck in close. Black bars and looking down for the puck doesn't seem to work for me.

Worst of both worlds, imho. A shield to fog up, and the distraction of bars whenever you look down. Maybe this model is better, but there is a reason the hybrids haven't been very popular.

I can see where you are coming from, although I own one and it hasn't been that much of an issue. I read in a review that the newer model has a little more cage than shield, which should help the fogging. He is looking for a cage so I figured he wouldn't mind the bars. I don't really notice them, but regardless it will take time to adjust from a shield to a hybrid or cage.

I like the FM480 it has better protection under the chin than most other cages. The only time I find the cage an issue is if I sit and think about it. When playing it's never an issue since I'm concentrating on the game not the protection.

Thanks for the info MarsB. I'm intrigued by the Profile 2 now so I'll have to check it out in store. I had an Itech oreo mask years ago but now have a black FM580. The FM580 is fine except for times when the puck takes a funny bounce and then you have to find the puck in close. Black bars and looking down for the puck doesn't seem to work for me.

You won't be disappointed. I promise.

The light weight and thin bars of the RE-AKT are great. You'll have to try the cage on your helmet to know for sure that the bar locations work for you.

I was using the Re-AKT cage for past year. At first I liked it, but more recently began boticing and becoming distracted by the bars. Switched to Bauer Hybrid, so far so good; we will see how I like it after having used it more.

On the subject of hybrids, does anyone happen to know if a large Bauer hybrid shield will fit on a medium Bauer IMS 9.0? I have the hybrid shield already, and it says it will fit on medium and large Re-Akt helmets. Taking into consideration that the Re-Akt and IMS 9.0 shells are identical (I think), I don't think I should have an issue but I'm not entirely sure. I just do not want it to look too big, and I personally would like it to fit in the J clips.