Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speedz98

Inline Skating Beginner Help(Coming from Ice)

I just bought my first legit pair of inline skates, Mission AC4s. I've been ice-skating ever since I was a kid and am better than average on ice.

I skated on my inline-skates for the first time today and it felt entirely foreign. What stuck out to me the most was how much of the skate I have on the ground at all times. Feels like no matter what movement I do, forward, crossing over, wide turns, my skate feels glued to the ground, all wheels constantly touching the ground. Wondering what alterations I can make to get the same rocker'd feeling as being in ice skates.

My ice skates have a 9' radius. I am not above to buying new wheels. I plan on skating almost exclusively outdoors on either tennis courts or asphalt.

From back to front my wheels are 80mm 80mm 76mm 76mm. I tried moving the wheels around putting the 76's on the front and back and the 80s both in the middle to try to simulate that skate blade rocker. Only problem is now the 80s are touching and unable to roll in the same direction so obviously that won't work.

Assume I know nothing about inline skates or roller hockey because I practically don't . I've got a lot on-ice experience but this is definitely new territory. Any tips and advice is welcomed regarding wheel modification or technique adjustments.

Thanks everyone.

you will hear tons of different opinions on this matter , i play ice and wanted to use my roller blades for off ice training , so i am after the same skate feeling as you , for myself i converted a pair of my bauer one 90 skates set the chassis back a little further than stock roller blades come with and ran two 80 mm wheels in the back and two 72 mm wheels in the front on each skate gave a slight rocker and a similar balance point , other than that i have read a lot about people using sprung frames or the new marsblade set up , i have not tried either of those yet but im sure someone will jump in the discussion and give there input on those two frames as well as wheel set up, where in jersey are you?

you will hear tons of different opinions on this matter , i play ice and wanted to use my roller blades for off ice training , so i am after the same skate feeling as you , for myself i converted a pair of my bauer one 90 skates set the chassis back a little further than stock roller blades come with and ran two 80 mm wheels in the back and two 72 mm wheels in the front on each skate gave a slight rocker and a similar balance point , other than that i have read a lot about people using sprung frames or the new marsblade set up , i have not tried either of those yet but im sure someone will jump in the discussion and give there input on those two frames as well as wheel set up, where in jersey are you?

South Brunswick NJ, central jersey. Monmouth Junction if that gives you a better idea.

Do you know any good indoor rinks close to my location? Maybe a good stick time in a wide open flat area, controlled environment would help me get used to roller skating.

I know there are some solutions to get that rockered feel of ice skates, because I feel the same as you. I don't really even like roller that much, so I just deal with it. It takes me maybe 5-10 minutes to adjust to being on roller blades from ice, it's generally not a big deal.

Going back to ice though... That usually feels a bit odd and depending how long I was away from ice will change my break in time back on ice. Took me two full games to readjust back to ice when I spent 3 full months on roller blades.

I just bought my first legit pair of inline skates, Mission AC4s. I've been ice-skating ever since I was a kid and am better than average on ice.

I skated on my inline-skates for the first time today and it felt entirely foreign. What stuck out to me the most was how much of the skate I have on the ground at all times. Feels like no matter what movement I do, forward, crossing over, wide turns, my skate feels glued to the ground, all wheels constantly touching the ground. Wondering what alterations I can make to get the same rocker'd feeling as being in ice skates.

My ice skates have a 9' radius. I am not above to buying new wheels. I plan on skating almost exclusively outdoors on either tennis courts or asphalt.

From back to front my wheels are 80mm 80mm 76mm 76mm. I tried moving the wheels around putting the 76's on the front and back and the 80s both in the middle to try to simulate that skate blade rocker. Only problem is now the 80s are touching and unable to roll in the same direction so obviously that won't work.

Assume I know nothing about inline skates or roller hockey because I practically don't . I've got a lot on-ice experience but this is definitely new territory. Any tips and advice is welcomed regarding wheel modification or technique adjustments.

Thanks everyone.

This might have something to do with the weight of the inline skates versus the weight of your ice skates. I went ice skating a couple times and when I came back to roller, my skates felt heavy and like they were weighing me down.