Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boomer029

which shoulders?

Looking for some shoulder pads with the best protection. Mobility would also be nice, but I'm more concerned with being able to give and take hard hits every game. I do have a budget though...anything under $100 works, nothing over. I've been trying to find deals on ebay and clearance, but it seems like I might have to buy new. I'm 5'9 180lbs 40" chest, so I'm also debating on between medium and large...haven't bought shoulders in a while.

I immediately saw the easton RS II being recommended in many threads, but I saw a few comments about the neck being tight, and that made it a no go for me. I don't like anything too close to my throat.

Here's a list of some I've been considering.

RBK 16k
Bauer one.8 and one.6
Bauer APX (can't find my size anywhere though)
Bauer nexus 1000
Bauer Nexus 6000
Reebok 18K KFS
Easton Synergy 60
LHS is 4 1/2 hours away... I won't be able to try any of these on. So hopefully you guys can help me out! Thanks

CCM CS.

Thanks for the recommendation. Tough to find in a medium or large on any of the major websites. I found them on eBay for about $96 (65+31 shipping)...still worth it?

I like the Sher-wood T90 undercover shoulder and elbows. Great quality and mobility plus you can adjust the fit of the caps and upper arms. Also I should add, I'm 5'11" amd 188 so we're not too far off, I use Large.

I like the Sher-wood T90 undercover shoulder and elbows. Great quality and mobility plus you can adjust the fit of the caps and upper arms. Also I should add, I'm 5'11" amd 188 so we're not too far off, I use Large.

These look really good for the price and I didn't even consider them, I think I actually might go with these. Thanks!

How does the large fit on you? I'm slightly smaller, so if it's running a little big I might go with the medium.

Thanks for the recommendation. Tough to find in a medium or large on any of the major websites. I found them on eBay for about $96 (65+31 shipping)...still worth it?

easier to find before they put them on clearance

My warrior dynasty AX2s are great, I get destroyed quite often and haven't had a problem with them, very mobile and protective.

I just got a pair of Mako M5's. They feel very snug and protective, but are still mobile. The chest protection is much more substantial than most other pads out there too if you are just comparing the sternum protection part. They also had better bicep guards on them then the RBZ's I tried on.

These look really good for the price and I didn't even consider them, I think I actually might go with these. Thanks!

How does the large fit on you? I'm slightly smaller, so if it's running a little big I might go with the medium.

The Large fits really good in the Chest area and doesn't come up tight on my neck. The part that covers your triceps and biceps came down too low on my arms, but it has an adjustable strap to shorten them under the shoulder cap, so I just put on my elbow pads and was able to shorten it to the perfect length. I would say if you are just getting into playing a lot you may slim down as well burning calories on the ice, so Medium should work or Large will work. I don't think you will feel the size difference so much in the straps on the chest being big enough to go around but it may not be long enough for your torso. At 5'11" it comes down to about 2" above my belly button which is great cuz with pants there is very little unprotected area. So I would judge it more off height. You can always pull the straps tight on the chest for the width but if it isn't long enough you could take that slapper in the lower back or in the gut.. Also FYI HockeyGiant has a flash sale RIGHT NOW on shoulders and protective gear so get on it!

I'm a big fan of the Mako series, the M5 should fit your budget and the top of the line pad is only $10 more than your budget. The CCM CL and CS lines are nice as well.

EDIT: the pair I saw were the juniors, not seniors

I just got a pair of Mako M5's. They feel very snug and protective, but are still mobile. The chest protection is much more substantial than most other pads out there too if you are just comparing the sternum protection part. They also had better bicep guards on them then the RBZ's I tried on.

I was really impressed with them when I first saw the,. I think it is a great design.

I own the CCM CLs and they're a solid product, love 'em. However, if you want something more up-to-date and available, go with the RBZ. Either way you can't lose.

One thing with the CLs that I will bring to light is that the lower stomach won't be protected unless you add an extended belly pad (or use some pants with a six-pack protector). However, as is, I haven't had any issues at all.

I wish I could have tried out both the RBZ and M5's in a game. I mean, as far as I am concerned, the M5 is a very good shoulder pad. I took a shot to the chest/stomach area and I barely felt anything. I never felt like they were large bulky tanks like my last pair were. The Mako's just felt more...secure than the RBZ's did on me. Plus the bicep protection was with out a debt, better than the RBZ's.

I think RBZ or Mako would be fine though. Probably just go with whatever you find to be more comfortable. I think the Mako's might be $10-20 more though.

I bought Vapor APX in XL last month from Hockey Monkey. They are awesome. Complete mobility and virtually no weight. I don't even realize I'm wearing them after getting on the ice. Super light, excellent mobility, and they don't stink after you air dry them. I used the Bauer sizing guide to purchase the size and they fit exactly as advertised. A tape measure is your friend.

Total Hockey has Medium's in stock as of two minutes ago. According to the sizing guide, you would fit either a medium or large. So do you want them big or just right?

I bought Vapor APX in XL last month from Hockey Monkey. They are awesome. Complete mobility and virtually no weight. I don't even realize I'm wearing them after getting on the ice. Super light, excellent mobility, and they don't stink after you air dry them. I used the Bauer sizing guide to purchase the size and they fit exactly as advertised. A tape measure is your friend.

Total Hockey has Medium's in stock as of two minutes ago. According to the sizing guide, you would fit either a medium or large. So do you want them big or just right?

I prob would want them to fit snug. So I'd go with a medium. I wish I could try some on. It seems like I'm going to go with the RBZ 150's, but if I find something real cheap that's just as good then I may change my mind.

I really like my Reebok 20K shoulders. Theyre not the smallest but great protection, light, and easy movement.

I really really like the 20k, saw some good reviews on them. Unfortunately, they're $150.

Anyway, I will post to this thread as soon as I place an order and try the pads out. Thanks for the help guys

Just saying hello, my first post. Any way I just got the Easton Mako shoulders a few weeks ago and I luv them. I really like how the Mako's aren't bulky but have good protection and feel great when it comes to your natural movement. I know they are out of ur price range but you should check out the M5's. I luv the conic design of the Mako's. You really feel secure with them on and they have good sternum protection. But I would absolutely say you have to try shoulder pads on in person to see how they fit you before buying them.

So, I found a pretty good deal on some warrior projekt pro stock shoulders...they seem very protective, especially the caps...at $115 shipped I couldn't pass them up. I'll take pictures and post my thoughts when they come in. Hopefully I made the right choice...thanks again for the suggestions guys.