Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cmflynn

SISU vs Impact mouthguards

I've been thinking of getting a mouthguard and after reading through the general mouthguard thread I've narrowed it down to either the SISU 1.6 or the Impact custom, and would like to get some advice on the pros and cons of each. To give everyone a frame of reference, I just took up hockey in April. Currently I'm in an adult instructional program that basically consists of a skills class followed by a pick up game, and I'll pop into a general pickup game at other rinks when I can. I where full face protection (avision ahead shield) and my highest ambition is C-level rec league, so I don't need a super protective guard, I'm really just looking to protect my teeth against the occasional collision and crash into boards. The next biggest thing is being able to talk with guard in, as well as comfort. I'm leaning towards the SISU because there are so many positive reviews and from the youtube reviews I've watched you can speak pretty clearly with it in. On the other hand the Impact guard seems to be more protective and a bit more comfortable, but there aren't alot of video reviews so I'm not sure how clearly you can speak with them in. I also like that I can customize the look of the impact. I was hoping anyone out there with experience on either (or even better if with both) could chime in and give me an idea which direction I should go

if you are wearing a mask, I would definitely go with the Sisu. Its super comfortable, protective, easy to talk in, and less expensive. Unless you really want some customization or flavor added, I would go this route.

I am super paranoid about mouthguards, having had my teeth shattered, and the Sisu has definitely surpassed my expectations.

I gotta co-sign on the Sisu too. I had tried 6 or 7 different mouth guards from Shock Doc , Nike, UA, etc. and they were protective but most of them I couldn't talk, drink, or really breathe fully comfortably with. The Sisu took me a couple tries to get the fit just right standing there heating it up and starting over, but once I got it, I love it. You honestly don't even feel it while playing. Only time I remember it is there is on the bench in between shifts.

How many times can you re-fit a SISU mouthguard?

Took me a couple tries until I had it (or so I thought), but after playing for an hour I found a couple annoying rubbing spot on my upper/inner gum and lip. Any harm in dropping it back in hot water and starting over?

I wear the impact and its been great. Super comfortable, easy to talk, breathe, and drink water. Customer service is awesome and fast as well. When the material was sent out to me they didn't send enough putty and immediately rushed me more putty which did the trick. I wear a cage but occasionally wear a visor so this mouthguard is great for me. I owned a SISU and it was a little too rigid for me.

These look amazing and I'd love to get one for my kid, but they should make a model with tether to attach to the cage...

If this is with worry to it falling out or eating/breathing difficulties, I've managed to wear the mouthguard from start to finish in a game without even thinking about it - it's that comfortable.

If this is with worry to it falling out or eating/breathing difficulties, I've managed to wear the mouthguard from start to finish in a game without even thinking about it - it's that comfortable.

it's probably more due to kids leagues requirement to have the guard strapped to the cage

How many times can you re-fit a SISU mouthguard?

Took me a couple tries until I had it (or so I thought), but after playing for an hour I found a couple annoying rubbing spot on my upper/inner gum and lip. Any harm in dropping it back in hot water and starting over?

I dropped it back in the hot water 2 or 3 times before I got a fit I liked. I thought the instructions even said this was okay, either way I've been wearing it for a while & it hasn't visually broken down anywhere.

I've never had the Sisu but I love my Impact mouthguard. I had tried other mouthguards but didn't like them. since I play no-check I didn't want to go the custom dentist route since (at the time) that was a $200 cost.

the Impact fits like a glove, their customization options are off the chart and they're are very affordable.

The Impact looks super customizable which is totally awesome, but has the same bulk as most other boil and bite mouthguards. Would not be able to use them.

The Impact looks super customizable which is totally awesome, but has the same bulk as most other boil and bite mouthguards. Would not be able to use them.

I was afraid of the bulk but its actually slimmer then I thought it would be.

I was afraid of the bulk but its actually slimmer then I thought it would be.

But still a traditional mouthguard. The SISU is just basically a plastic layer over your teeth.

I was actually talking to the owner of Impact last night (full disclosure: he is a friend of mine. I was actually one of his first guinea pigs a few years ago. everything I've said about Impact is 100% true though) and he said that they're working on a new website with the ability for you to see what your fully customized mouthguard will look like before you order similar to the Warrior Glove Customizer (my words not his). looking forward to that! :)

So I see a lot of Sisu marketing that refers to TOOTH protection. Very little to none about concussion protection. Why is this>? Quite frankly a mouth guards propose is not only to protect teeth, these days concussion protection is far more prevalent. Mouth guards are supposed to protect against them. Considering the harder nature of this material I cannot imagine it absorbs the concussion forces at play.

Any thoughts or studies related to Sisu on this? i was not able to find any.

So I see a lot of Sisu marketing that refers to TOOTH protection. Very little to none about concussion protection. Why is this>? Quite frankly a mouth guards propose is not only to protect teeth, these days concussion protection is far more prevalent. Mouth guards are supposed to protect against them. Considering the harder nature of this material I cannot imagine it absorbs the concussion forces at play.

The reason why there is so little marketing is that there is very little science behind the claims. The two most often cited papers do not stand up under rigorous scrutiny. Most companies have removed any reference to the ability of mouthguards to prevent concussions. The ones that still advertise the protection use the qualifier "may" protect against concussions.

You can read up on it in the British Journal of Sports Medicine: http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/35/2/81.full

There's no solid evidence that mouth guards prevent concussions.

Sisu website says it can be re-formed up to 20 times.

I'm looking at getting their night guard. I grind my teeth but have yet to find a comfortable mouthguard that can accommodate my crowded teeth and small mouth.

Sisu website says it can be re-formed up to 20 times.

I'm looking at getting their night guard. I grind my teeth but have yet to find a comfortable mouthguard that can accommodate my crowded teeth and small mouth.

A good option. I can't even tell mine is in.