Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Tony Stewart runs over (and kills) Kevin Ward

I don't think for a second that Stewart wanted to hit him but he is a well documented hot head, and I think he wanted to scare the kid...maybe throw a little dirt up at him. The way those cars react on dirt and the fact that Ward was still proceeding towards Tony made it a disaster waiting to happen.

Having said that...if the kid had stayed in the car, and just punched Stewart out in the pits afterword like a good driver...this could have been avoided.

I don't think Stewart will get off entirely, but a murder charge is highly unlikely, IMO

I don't think for a second that Stewart wanted to hit him but he is a well documented hot head, and I think he wanted to scare the kid...maybe throw a little dirt up at him. The way those cars react on dirt and the fact that Ward was still proceeding towards Tony made it a disaster waiting to happen.

Having said that...if the kid had stayed in the car, and just punched Stewart out in the pits afterword like a good driver...this could have been avoided.

I don't think Stewart will get off entirely, but a murder charge is highly unlikely, IMO

TSN had a "legal look" at the entire thing: http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/nascar/story/?id=459178

Likely 2nd Degree Manslaughter.

darwinism at its finest

don't run out into the middle of a live race like a pissed off idiot and you won't get hit by a car. if tony didn't get him someone else would have.

TSN had a "legal look" at the entire thing: http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/nascar/story/?id=459178

Likely 2nd Degree Manslaughter.

Every driver that I have heard go on the record has blamed the other guy. I'm willing to bet that there won't be any charges. There isn't anything in that article that makes that charge "likely". In fact, it even ends with a comment stating that it would be premature to determine that Steward was responsible.

that tsn article is terrible

"I want to make it very clear: there are no criminal charges pending at this time" said Ontario County Sheriff Philp Povero after the incident.

While that may be the case, this is far from over. Stewart faces the spectre of criminal charges and civil liability. For Stewart, this is going to be a long road.

wtf...so the writer is now all of a sudden putting his prosecutor hat on?

he'll face a civil suit for sure because we live in a sue happy world but there won't be a criminal trial or anything

that tsn article is terrible

Agreed. There is a lot more opinion in that article than there should be in a "news" report. Journalism standards are at an all time low.

I meant that's likely what it would be if he is charged.

That's still pretty presumptuous, the article says that is the most likely that they would consider, not the most likely that he would be charged with. There is a difference.

Agreed. There is a lot more opinion in that article than there should be in a "news" report. Journalism standards are at an all time low.

Of course they are, media keeps firing all the good guys! :wink:

And I'm sure a lot of people on that grand jury will know what it is like to suddenly see a man in a black firesuit walking across a poorly lit dirt track at night is like

I think it's a roll of the dice how the grand jury will react to the evidence.

If it gets to a trial, it will be primarily about expert opinions and testimony.

I think it's a roll of the dice how the grand jury will react to the evidence.

If it gets to a trial, it will be primarily about expert opinions and testimony.

it's a cop out by the DA. He doesn't want to get voted out in the next election for refusing to prosecute a celebrity for the death of a local guy. Instead, he passes the buck to the grand jury and lets them say that there isn't enough evidence to go to trial.

They probably see it as a lottery ticket, the only question is if they will take a reasonable settlement to go away or if they are going to grind it out in court hoping for a home run.