Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gordyleech

Customizing My Goalie Pads

Hi! I am a bantam minor goaltender playing at the AA level. I have always loved an extremely tight, and flexible feel with my leg pads. I like it when it seems like they're apart of my leg in a sense. One thing I have noticed with Intermediate goalie equipment is that the straps either are made of a nylon, or there are 3 or four leather straps. Which leads to my question. I was wondering if anyone knows how I can add extra leather straps to my leg pads? I currently have the vaughn v5 7270, and I want to add more to the top. If anybody knows how, please let me know. Thank you!

Howdy.

A decent hockey shop should be able to do it, but if you want to tackle it yourself, it isn't too difficult once you have the right tools. Basically, it involves opening up the binding on the sides of the pad so that you can sew in a leather strap and a buckle. You could use a sewing awl (look up "speedy stitcher") with some waxed thread for this. You could probably get one as well as the proper straps from Nash sports (you want straps and buckles that have a wide end on them, so when you stick them in the pad and sew it up there will be more to "grab". I'd post pictures if I had any handy, but you could probably find some with a little searching.

Alternatively, Sarah at http://www.protectiveathleticwear.com/ is a wizard at doing things like this, as well as refurbs. I know alot of tendys who have had her fix up their gear.

Only downside is youd have to go without your gear for a few weeks, but its an option if youre looking for a professional to do it.

Good luck! Let us see the finished product either way!

Alternatively, Sarah at http://www.protectiveathleticwear.com/ is a wizard at doing things like this, as well as refurbs. I know alot of tendys who have had her fix up their gear.

Only downside is youd have to go without your gear for a few weeks, but its an option if youre looking for a professional to do it.

Good luck! Let us see the finished product either way!

Honestly, while I agree 100% that she is awesome, what the OP is looking to do is fairly minor. I'd buy the straps and take it to a cobbler before shipping them out to be done.