Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikeWhy

Wheel size compared skate size?

So I wear size 6EE bauer supremes, I'm curious as to what pros and cons would take place if I switched from 80/80/76/76 to 76/76/72/72, the alkali's going down a wheel size when you reach size 6 or whatever had me wondering if I could potentially get more out of my set up. Would it lead to a lower center of gravity? More agility? I'm curious and maybe the answers on this will have me looking to changing my set up in the future.

you would reduce the wheel base (so have less wheel poking out from front and rear)...thus gaining maneuverability. I think you may sacrifice a little top end, but have better acceleration..

I'm size6-6.5 and this is the entire reason im leaning towards getting alkalis due to them tuning the wheel size to the size of foot.

I think in this case you'd only be shortening the wheel base by 4mm since using smaller wheels in the same chassis doesn't bring the wheels any closer together. You might not find the reduced glide and speed to be worth it unless you swap a junior size chassis made for 76/72.

My personal preference (6EE in Bauer here) is also to have a shorter wheelbase over larger wheels for the tighter turn radius it gives me. I really like the feel of the way it turns and the transition between ice and inline takes less adjustment. That's just me though. I find that most people prefer the big wheels. Depends how you skate and how you like your turns to feel.

Edit: I just reread both your post and mine and my thoughtless calculation was off because I'm not paying attention. You'd take 4mm off the front and 4mm off the rear, but a junior chassis made for smaller wheel size would reduce the wheelbase by significantly more. You might even end up with a rocker on the wheels depending on how the chassis is designed.

glad im not too alone in having small feet :)

ITs interesting...but when i squeezed my foot into a size 6 alkali, the all 76mm setup defo looked and felt shorter in terms of wheel base. I think i'm more of a 6.5 in an alkali boot..which thankfully has the all 76 setup too. I'm currently deciding between new missions or the new alkalis, and i feel the alkalis will be the best bet.

Just biding my time at the mo, waiting for the RPD+ range to come out. They look absolutely spot on! Im glad you guys spent the time to tune wheel size to foot size... just shows you are not putting "cookie cutter" skates on everyone.

any news on when the range hits the UK shores?