Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikeWhy

How do I get faster with the puck?

Without the puck I'm an average-above average skater in terms of speed but from what I'm told I slow down insanely too much with the puck...I'm curious if there are specific drills people use to work on this as well as little tips people have for when they're trying to carry the puck at their top speed(like switching to one hand and pushing it etc.) Just trying to improve my game.

Do you skate with your head up...ie. not looking at the puck? If so, it may just come down to doing drills that will break you out of your comfort zone.

For example: If you've developed muscle memory for slowing with the puck a good drill would be to have a friend pass you the puck and as soon as you get it explode. Concentrating on the opposite of the bad habit you may have developed...in other words... speeding up with the puck. If you lose control of it no big deal. Just circle back around and start again.

If you don't have a friend to pass you the puck just put a few out on the ice and approach them with decent speed, but once you pick one up accelerate. You could tailor this however you see fit, but ultimately you want to build in the back of your mind and in muscle memory the habit of accelerating upon receiving the puck. Watch youtube videos of Nathan MacKinnon and see what he does upon receiving a pass in the breakout. Watch his legs...he may be coasting and as soon as he gets the puck, his feet start moving.

One of the other reasons this could be happening is because your looking down at the puck...the only way to break that habit is to....not look down at the puck. Go to a stick and puck's and focus on spending the whole session puck handling and shooting without looking down.

One last thought: keep in mind speed with the puck is good in the right situation. Understanding how and when to use it most effectively is a fine tuned skill. These drills may help develop speed and acceleration with the puck, but obviously use it when appropriate.

Hope this helps!