Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Goalie Jocks

I did a search but everything that came up was pretty old.

Just wondering what you guys would recommend for a goalie jock?

The first thing I have to decide is whether I plan to wear jock shorts or not (I'd be wearing long leg undergarment with a shock doctor cup) with a single-layer goalie jock over top, or if I'd go with something like the Vaughn Ventus double-cup. I really can't decide which I'd rather go with. Any suggestions or recommendations based on experiences?

Thanks!

I actually did a review on the Warrior Ritual jock. I would suggest taking a look at it.

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/66035-warrior-ritual-goalie-jock-review/

Hopefully the video portion of it is on that review (I just edited it in, not sure if approved yet).

I've had issues with other jocks where I would make a diving save and they would pinch or jam what they were supposed to be protecting, but this one has been perfect. I'll admit it feels awkward when you put it on and pull your pants up, but once I start playing I never notice it. It also has a removable inside liner piece that allows you to wear a separate cup underneath it.

I actually did a review on the Warrior Ritual jock. I would suggest taking a look at it.

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/66035-warrior-ritual-goalie-jock-review/

Hopefully the video portion of it is on that review (I just edited it in, not sure if approved yet).

I've had issues with other jocks where I would make a diving save and they would pinch or jam what they were supposed to be protecting, but this one has been perfect. I'll admit it feels awkward when you put it on and pull your pants up, but once I start playing I never notice it. It also has a removable inside liner piece that allows you to wear a separate cup underneath it.

Thanks man. I'll take a look.

You didn't care for the Vaughn? I think that was at the top of my list if I decide to go with a 2-cup jock rather than wearing a cup with my jock shorts with a single-cup goalie jock over top.

I looked at the Ventus cup (the 9500,LT series) and I am sure it'll do the job but there were a bunch of features I liked on the Warrior better.

Specifically I liked how the strapping worked. Instead of having traditional adjustable straps I liked the overlapping velcro straps. So far I can always place them in the same spot and the cup never feels looser than it did the day before and the straps don't become loose either. With more traditional models I found them getting looser while I played to the point of sometimes almost falling off.

I also liked how there is that soft yellow material along the inside of the thigh. Other jocks I tried weren't padded enough there and I could feel the jock jabbing into my legs, this one feels super soft and I have never noticed it.

I have the Bauer Pro (now Supreme) and am very happy with it. I like the air bladder design vs the rigid double cup like the Vaughn. The Bauer is much more comfortable, and arguably more protective, than the Vaughn I had.

Personally, I've always been a fan of using a single-cup jock (normally Vaughn's) over top of a traditional cup and jock (not one that goes into pants or shorts).

Sure, I have to put one more item on (I also use a garter belt instead of sock tabs), but the feel to me is much safer. With a double cup, it is just a single unit that has to shift out of place for disaster, with my setup both would have to.

Granted, I recognize this is more mental than anything, but most goaltending takes place in our head so it only makes sense :tongue:

Do you talk to your posts too? :)

I think I'm gonna go two separate cups. One in my jock pants and one goalie jock. If anything it means one will be much closer to my body and won't move at all (my player jock now is FANTASTIC)

Okay, first posting and a relatively new adult goalie but I've been reading this forum for about 2 years now since my oldest started playing to make choices on his and more recently my own goalie gear. Thanks tons to LawGoalie for all his wisdom that led to my gear choices.

Now on to the all important Jock, for me it ranks up there with a helmet in it's importance in getting quality protection and comfort. What I've learned, it's all about you. What fits me and you will differ but if your 6'2 220 lbs with a semi-athletic (no six pack) retired Grunt Marine Doc, build then what I wear with some older KOHO goalie pants may be the ticket. I am wearing the bauer supreme adult jock and I love it. I was using an older Vaughn Jock which was okay but a full on slap shot would cause one to pause, suck it up and get my mind back in the net. (My mentor gave me his mantra, "a goalie suffers so that others may play.") The bauer supreme is a huge jock, a tank, and getting it to slide inside your pants may be a struggle, it is for me. After you get past the waist line of the pants, it "pops" into place and stays put. The waist strap is a pretty durable stiff elastic sewn on the left side, long strip of Velcro at the other and the jock itself has opposing velcro (not sure if you call the fuzzy velcro male or female so "opposing") that allows you a lot of room, even under the upper pelvic area guard for tightening to fit. I spent my entire career with various types of ground pounding Marines so my first test may seem a little on the mentally dense side but it was effective.

I spent about two minutes punching my groin, obviously starting light then going full force. Other than the impact pressure on my lower abdomen and the pelvic area around my thighs, I had zero pain or discomfort. Later on at my son's practice where I coach 9-10 yr old goalies, I had another shooter coach take slap shots at me in full gear till he finally hit center mass of my groin. No pain just pressure. Like I said it's a tank. Only thing I've seen built like this is the jock on a Red Man suit during riot control training.

So, drawbacks: The elastic waist band is stiff but like all elastic, it's gonna stretch out eventually but it'll probably outlast me in net. Even if it does, learn to whip stitch and you can fix about any piece of gear let alone a new elastic band.

Thing is huge. If you're pushing your pant's size to the limit I would suggest to get larger goalie pants, lose some weight or look for a more low profile jock like the Reebok or a Vaughn.

The leg bands require a few adjustments when dressing but once you're in, you're in and it's not moving. I'm not a fan of the leg bands and I've seen another adult goalie cut his off. I'm more cautious and just get it into place during dress and I'm confident it's gonna do it's job and let me do mine.

Positive: (yes I realize most of the drawbacks were null) I haven't noticed any impairment in any movement, butterfly, slides, recovery, even a few splits (not a game move I use but just curious if I could displace it), it stayed on post.

The Bauer Supreme Jock is a huge tank that is comfortable, stays put, well built (although I won't use the word durable till I've used it at least a year) and outside of the hassle of getting the jock past the waist and the legs bands right without any twists around the thighs, which I can put up with versus less protection, this jock is a good piece of gear that I would rely on without ever questioning it's ability to function while I'm in net.

- Doc K

I have been wearing an LT90 double cup with a Kevlar cup in the inner position. Ever since taking a clapper in the boys whilst getting in the shooting lane (playing D) and having the plastic banana cup break, I have worn a miniumum of two cups (one being Kevlar). At stick and puck, I only wear two; at the shinny I used to play in, I will probably wear a cup underneath the Vaughn as these guys can load a stick. When I recover from my upcoming surgery, I will come back and play with the group I used to play with and thusly triple cup it.

I had a choice between the Vaughn and the Warrior, and my gut liked the Vaughn a teeny bit more.

What did you finally go with?

Kustom Composites sells the Kevlar for something like $50. It sounds expensive, but I'd rather protect those parts with something better than just plastic. The Kevlar is NOT going to break.