Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PH_Hockey2

What skate hollow do you skate on?

What skate hollow do you skate on?  

561 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

True, I assumed he was having the same guy do it, in that case, if he's bad, he'll be bad regardless of what hollow he's doing. One of the shops around here if you go in and ask for 5/8. they'll say sure but give you 1/2".

I've seen that too. Four guys ask for different hollows and they never dress the wheel before sharpening.

3/4." It always amuses me handing my skates in and seeing a kid's reaction to ICM because they've never seen it before.

I knew this topic existed. With a poll, no less.

Nice, I forgot about the poll. I just figured it had been a while since we had let one of these run its course

I knew this topic existed. With a poll, no less.

Me, too, but I was just too busy with tax returns to look it up this time.

I've seen that too. Four guys ask for different hollows and they never dress the wheel before sharpening.

Just curious - does the sharpener need to change a wheel for a non-std. ROH or just dress the wheel to the requested ROH? Do most shops charge extra for a non-std. ROH? Thanks!

Just curious - does the sharpener need to change a wheel for a non-std. ROH or just dress the wheel to the requested ROH? Do most shops charge extra for a non-std. ROH? Thanks!

The wheel doesn't need to be changed, just dressed (reshaping the wheel to the specified ROH). I've only seen shops charge extra for FBV, but every shop is different so I wouldn't be surprised if some charge for a non-standard ROH.

180 lbs. 100/50 FBV has great glide and just enough bite for me. However I found it to be inconsistent and sometimes the edges didn't have enough bite (probably due to bad sharpener). But that same store has been giving me consistently good sharpenings at 100/75, a little less glide but after a game or two, it dulls and the glide gets better

Just skated on my one 75s with a 5/8ths for the first time in a long time. My God, that sucked. My other skates are right about 7/10ths to 3/4ths. I'm taking them all to 3/4ths, and then will probably need 7/8ths once my legs get in shape. I had that feeling of constantly being on my edges, especially when I don't intend to do so.

Skating with more knee bend= easier to hit edges= easier to use shallower hallow. Am I missing something?

Usually 1/2, but trying 5/8 for the first time tonight.

I am in the same boat as you. I have been on 1/2" for the past 10 years and decided to go 5/8" 2 weeks ago. I noticed a huge difference in the glide and I was much quicker. I liked the feel of 5/8" right away compared to 1/2" which I would need to work in with a bit of skating.

The only difference is it will feel slightly harder to locate your edges at first. You can overcome that by bending at the knees more. The extra glide is just so awesome to have in terms of saving yourself fatigue.

That might be good for me. I'm god awful slow. I'm also 250...er..check that 243 lbs (as of this morning). So the weight will be doing some of the edge work for me, so more glide is probably going to be beneficial.

I'd do FBV if they had it here, but they don't.

I bounce between 7/8ths and 1 inch.

A skating coach had me make a change from the house cut which was 1/2 i think to the shallow hollows about five years ago and it was the most significant change to my game in all the years I've been playing.

The change between deeper hollow and a more choppy skating stride into long and smooth gave me "sneaky speed" and an extra gear when I needed to beat someone which I didn't have prior to the switch. It helped my timing on stickhandling and shooting since I was less "frantic", and really made me utilize stops and starts.

To this day the best compliment I can get in regards to hockey is when I get told im a smooth skater.

Been steady at 100/50. Now that I sharpen my own skates I might try some other ones just for fun, but I'll probably stick with what I use now because it feels pretty good.

Don't rush to change. Try something new on one skate, then do the other skate later, if you like it.

So I had a huge burr, about 1.5" or so around the toe of my left skate. Took them in to get sharpened. Tried 5/8.

Get on the ice, and where that burr was, I had absolutely no edge. None. I fell 2-3 times during that game, forgetting and attempting crossovers. Ended up having one of the worst games I've ever played.

I'll get them re-done this week.

205lb at 6ft. (forward). Size 8D skates.

Been playing in florida, so softer ice, warm weather. Used to skating on 5/8.

I'm thinking 7/8 or even a 1inch might be better for me, what do you guys think? Been on a 9'radius all my life but i've been told 11 would probably suit me better now.

Thoughts?