Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PH_Hockey2

What skate hollow do you skate on?

What skate hollow do you skate on?  

561 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

205lb at 6ft. (forward). Size 8D skates.

Been playing in florida, so softer ice, warm weather. Used to skating on 5/8.

I'm thinking 7/8 or even a 1inch might be better for me, what do you guys think? Been on a 9'radius all my life but i've been told 11 would probably suit me better now.

Thoughts?

This is hard to answer without watching you skate, but I will say that the feeling between 9' and 11' is very pronounced. 9' in the front and 11' in the back might be doable, but when I skated with 11' on the front and back it felt like way too much steel on the ice. 5'11 180 with solid skating ability.

This is hard to answer without watching you skate, but I will say that the feeling between 9' and 11' is very pronounced. 9' in the front and 11' in the back might be doable, but when I skated with 11' on the front and back it felt like way too much steel on the ice. 5'11 180 with solid skating ability.

I went to a guy here that a few of my buddies swear by. He did them at 10 radius even though i asked for 11. He said something a long the lines of "there's not enough blade" to do it. Huh? they are brand new skates at 8d. How is there not enough blade? was he blowing smoke up my ass?

5'2'', 110 lbs. Skate on some extremely soft ice in the tropics. First sharpener refused to give me anything shallower than a 3/8 because I was light, even though I told him the ice was soft, which he insisted wasn't. Bear in mind people here don't usually travel overseas, so most don't know what hard ice is, so can't really blame them. Went on to the next sharpener to a 100/50 FBV. She however could never get me consistent edges, so went to 95/75 for deeper fangs. Eventually got tired of paying twice the cost of a regular ROH sharpening for such bad jobs, so went and begged the first guy to just let me try 1/2. He noticed immediate improvements in my skating, so he continued 1/2 for me. I still find it a bit sharp (need about 4 hours of skating for a fresh sharpening to feel perfect), so I asked him to get me a 9/16 or 5/8. I'm getting those skates back today, and I'm excited.

Yes, it sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing.

yah... i'm thinking the only option for me would be to send them in to no-icing sport.

have you ever tried them?

yah... i'm thinking the only option for me would be to send them in to no-icing sport.

have you ever tried them?

Yeah. I purchased a pair of blacksteel runners with a custom profile (8'/13') for my CCMs. They were done very well from what I can tell. I don't have tools to measure, but they felt great.

Does anyone change their hollow from winter to summer? I am noticing the ice is getting a lot softer in the last week or two, wondering if going to 100/50 FBV from 90/75 would help me get a bit more bite?

After reading this forum for a while I realize how little I know about equipment and skates in particular. I have always felt like my skates were too sharp after getting them sharpened but didn't realize you could get a different ROH.

I was told by the guy at my local rink that he gave me 7/16 which felt less sharp than what I had always used and I liked it. I have no idea what I have used for most of my 15 years of skating. After a long talk with a very knowledgeable guy at Total Hockey yesterday we settled on trying 1/2 inch. Now that I have skated on what I know to be 1/2 inch I realize that is what the other guy had been giving me even though he called it something else. Thanks for the education on this MSH!

How did you find out?

Guy misheard me, he thought I had 7/8s, close to 1 whole. I had actually said 3/4ths, like around a 7/9ths. He said "Well, I don't know if I've ever done a 7/8s before..." Good times:)

Does anyone change their hollow from winter to summer? I am noticing the ice is getting a lot softer in the last week or two, wondering if going to 100/50 FBV from 90/75 would help me get a bit more bite?

I used to go from 5/8 to 3/4 when the ice got softer. It can't hurt to try it.

Got a new set of steel arriving Friday and they're immediately going to no-icing sports for the full first sharpen treatment. Looking forward to having a pro sharpen my skates.

can someone explain what that means?

is it how you sharpen the steel?

- confused swede

Like Malkin:

Hollow: 9/16 Profile:40/80

dont unsterstand a thing xD

^There are some articles that explain it pretty well if you google. What I'm doing at the moment as I've never really cared to know about this but I feel like I should.

i wish someone could explain the 30/60 stuff to me. i get the whole it's 60mm of blade on the ice but how do you know what the radius is on that? they have a cag one profiler at the LHS but no one there can give me a straight answer either.

No-icing sports has some good articles explaining profiling and radius. When they re-open next week from vacation I'm getting the combo radius and fbv shsrpen through their mail in sharpenin...stoooked

No-icing sports has some good articles explaining profiling and radius. When they re-open next week from vacation I'm getting the combo radius and fbv shsrpen through their mail in sharpenin...stoooked

I did the same. Had them do three new sets of the coated Step Steel and they're great. I immediately noticed much better glide, and I could feel all sorts of detail in the ice. Each cut has been exactly the same...I think I'm about 7 or 8 sharpenings in, and each cut has been perfect. I get 5-7 skates in before I feel like I need a fresh edge, but I've always been very picky about having a new, sharp edge. You will like them...

I play year round (in Calgary too), and I keep the same hollow. I notice it a little bit, but I can adjust and the seasonal change is gradual; it's only beer league. 1" ROH.

In winter, with the Chinooks and the overnight 20 degree (Centigrade) swings, I notice it a lot more.

I need help!

I'm from Michigan but now live in San Diego.

When i played in Michigan I weighed about 200lbs at my heaviest (I'm 6'2") and usually did about 1/2 ROH on my skates. I have gained a few pounds since I've moved to SoCal and now weigh about 245LBS. I am currently skating on 5/8 ROH but I feel like this is a bit sharp for me - too Much bite, not enough glide, and too much energy loss during games. Should I go up even further to say like 3/4? i know I am pretty heavy but I still have speed and move really well. Just looking for more glide/energy without having to sacrifice good edge work. Does this make any sense?

Definitely try 3/4" or maybe even 1". Combination of increased weight + softer ice (I assume Cali temps make the ice softer than in Michigan) means you're sinking in further than you're used to. I find 1/2" sharp even on hard Canadian winter ice.