Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2014 Suspension Thread

I don't agree with the Pronger hire but if there is anyone who knows what a cheap shot, dirty play, illegal hit looks like he is an expert.

What they really need is someone who has played under the new head shot guidelines. You can't expect guys to put the hammer down on somebody when they're thinking, "I saw that all through my playing days and it wasn't that bad."

I agree, Chippa. What I feel the league would benefit most from, is the installation of a younger man whose career was cut short due to concussion related injuries. Maybe a Marc Savard-type. They would understand better than most what a dirty hit can do to a man's life, not only his career. That would help to cull the intention nasty hits.

I honestly don't know how to penalize the un-intentional hits that end up really ringing someone's bell.

I honestly don't know how to penalize the un-intentional hits that end up really ringing someone's bell.

I think at some point you have to draw the line where you have to accept the occupational hazard of playing a contact sport. Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt, but sometimes "shit happens".

I agree with sometimes shit happens, but it still needs to be penalized, otherwise the guys could just say "whoops, accident". An unintentional trip is still called, and that has far less consequences than head contact.

Moore should have got more than 5 games as a repeat offender. His first suspension for a hit to the head of Weise in last years playoffs was if I'm correct, 2 games, which I believe during the regular season would or should have a been at least double that?

Tropp's hit was fine as the victim gave him his back last second.

Gryba's hit looked ok but maybe a little high, nevermind the fact Anisimov was kinda admiring his pass.

Kulamen's hit was a little dangerous because of how far from the boards they were but should not have been a major.

Stuart has to also bare some of that responsibility.

Oh and I forgot about Krieder, should have got something as the optics were terrible. Totally looked like he threw extra force into the hit from behind.

BTW, I'm a Habs fan. ;)

I am certain this has been discussed somewhere in the past but the Wild were impacted quite a bit by games end due to the Moore hit and the Kreider hit. Both Wild players were injured and are still out days later.

So Kreider gets off with the major and game and Moore gets 5 game suspension. What good does that do for the team that was impacted the most, the team that played short the remainder of the game?

I believe suspensions should provide additional benefit to the team that was affected by the infraction. just a thought, the existing system can remain in place to impact the players pocket book, x # of games suspended. However, in addition the next game the two teams play each other the suspended player should sit out and the team should not be allowed any call ups. Thoughts? is there a reason this does not make sense?

First reason it doesn't make sense; what if the teams don't face each other again that season?

As for the callups idea, I've believed that teams with suspended players should not be able to recall a player to fill that roster spot during the suspension.

I am certain this has been discussed somewhere in the past but the Wild were impacted quite a bit by games end due to the Moore hit and the Kreider hit. Both Wild players were injured and are still out days later.

So Kreider gets off with the major and game and Moore gets 5 game suspension. What good does that do for the team that was impacted the most, the team that played short the remainder of the game?

I believe suspensions should provide additional benefit to the team that was affected by the infraction. just a thought, the existing system can remain in place to impact the players pocket book, x # of games suspended. However, in addition the next game the two teams play each other the suspended player should sit out and the team should not be allowed any call ups. Thoughts? is there a reason this does not make sense?

Brodin missed 3 shifts after the Kreider hit and was back in the game. And wouldn't you say the Rangers were also impacted by the fact that Kreider and Moore were ejected from the game? I'd also say Brodin was as much to blame for the play with Kreider as Kreider was. Brodin slammed on the breaks directly infront of a full speed Kreider trying to interfere with him instead of going to make a play on the puck.

Brodin missed 3 shifts after the Kreider hit and was back in the game. And wouldn't you say the Rangers were also impacted by the fact that Kreider and Moore were ejected from the game? I'd also say Brodin was as much to blame for the play with Kreider as Kreider was. Brodin slammed on the breaks directly infront of a full speed Kreider trying to interfere with him instead of going to make a play on the puck.

Brodin was back in 3 Shifts and now 2 additional games with no end in sight to returning to the ice. So yes Brodin was back for duty but without the use of a hand apparently so he was not at full strength. Is Kreider playing again? Regarding the "Stopping" in front of him, every player is responsible fortheir actions. what you call stopping is a player trying to ready himself for contact near the boards. Brodin is a very strong skater, Kreider plowed him into the boards. Kreider, or any player needs to be able to control that.

I am a big fan of the Rangers, I helped coach the NYR captain in youth hockey years ago. Family friend, so my comment is NOT limited to these injuries of Wild players.

Yes they were short handed for the game but NYR players were responsible for basically all 4 players being knocked out of the game. 2 for 2 is not how to balance the scales.

I was not looking to get into any kind of a pissing match regarding the NYR/Wild infractions, I just used this occurrence to make my point. I meant to address the overall Suspension policy for flagrant infractions. The team that is impacted by injury deserves to have some sort of advantage the next time the teams play.

First reason it doesn't make sense; what if the teams don't face each other again that season?

As for the callups idea, I've believed that teams with suspended players should not be able to recall a player to fill that roster spot during the suspension.

Not sure your explanation "it doesn't make sense"really provides much support against my suggestion.....I suppose you could limit it to the regular season unless the teams play each other in the playoffs.

If they play in the playoffs, player sits. That gives the rule concept teeth. If it is the last game against in the year then I guess it cancels out or carries to the next season. I think there has to be more teeth in the suspensions and more benefit to the team that potentially lost players to injury.

For example in this case does the 5 game suspension to Moore do anything for the Wild ? Considering Brodin (top 2 Dman) is still out and Haula is very lucky to have no remaining concussion symptoms?

I like your idea of no call ups, that would punish the team quite a bit. But it does not give the team impacted the most (injuries) any benefit.

You can't save up a suspension game for a "just in case they meet in the playoffs scenario" because that may not happen. Then there is the possibility that the suspended player is moved before the teams meet again, is out injured, or has been dropped altogether.

I would call it more of an If/then situation vs a just in case.

If they meet then he sits.

When they meet he sits.

I think the idea to punish the offender vs reward the offended needs to be addressed. 5 other teams benefit by the injury the player caused to another team. The team with the injured player leaves town short a player.

Perhaps the suspension should have more parameters. In the event of an injury the offender sits as long as the offended is injured OR a minimum of 2,5,10 games whichever fits the crime best? In addition he sits the next time the teams play.

We've already discussed the idea of a suspended player sitting as long as the offended player is out injured and that opens up a whole other can of worms.

But the other point still doesn't work, you cannot guarantee that the teams will meet again while the suspended player is still a member of the team he was on when he received the suspension. Also, we know the NHL values playoff games higher than regular season when it comes to suspensions so if a player is suspended in the regular season and the teams don't meet again until the playoffs (provided he is still on the offending team) then does he only sit 1/2 the game?

Thoughts?

Late, high, Emelin did leave the game (he returned for the 3rd...I assume they were going through the protocol/baseline to make sure he was ok)

I'd say 1 game for Burrows.

Definitely late and I am no fan of Burrows. The question I have is did Emelin change his posture to create the contact to the head? It looked like Burrows was lined up on the shoulder and then Emelin straightened up just before impact pulling his shoulder back and out of the way and exposing his jaw. Either way, it was very late and I'm surprised that there wasn't a call on the ice for interference.

Surprised with how many games Burrows got. Don't know if he is a first time offender or not but his hit wasn't anywhere near as bad as Moore's. A head shot none the less which needs to be punished.