Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jordon777

Bauer Supreme 170 vs 180

This is similar to my last question, but I have narrowed down my search to 2 skates.

I was wondering if anyone knows the major differences between the Bauer Supreme 170 and the 180. I tried on the 180, and I really liked it. My local store did not have the 170 in my size, so I could not compare.

If the fit is the same, are there differences that make the $200 extra for the 180 worth it?

I only ref high school hockey, so I wouldn't wear them more then a few hours each weekend.

Biggest difference is that the 180 has the curve composite in the quarters and the 170 has tech mesh. 180 also has better steel in my opinion. I, myself, really like how the curve molds when baked.

Do you think the curve vs the mesh is worth $200?

I really liked the 180 fit, but I was told the 170 fit almost exactly the same, which made me wonder about the price difference.

See if some one 8s or 7s are still around in your size and that may assist on the pricing. Beck you might even find some one 9s especially the LEs around.

Would you consider the one.9 to be above the 180 in quality?

I personally do, but I own the One.9s and came from Supreme 5000s as a comparison. Which means there is no comparison as these skates are light years ahead of what I was using.

Look at the specs and you decide:

From Hockey Monkey:http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-skate-supreme-one9-sr.html

Supreme One.9:

Player Profile Designed for the Power Skater who maximizes every stride Fit Profile Anatomical - generous Heat Moldable Full upper Quarter Package 3D Anaformable Curv® Composite upper Heel Support Anatomically designed heel counter Ankle Padding Lightweight anaform fit foam ankle pads Tendon Guard Flexible Lining Material Hydrophobic CLARINO® synthetic leather Tongue Anatomical, 52 oz. 2-piece felt with high-density metatarsal guard Footbed FORM-FIT+ with stabilizer grip, Curv® Composite inserts Outsole Full lightweight composite Blade Holder TUUK Lightspeed 2 Runner TUUK LS 2.1 Power stainless steel Weight (gm)

Weight (oz) 27.65

Supreme 180: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-skate-supreme-180-sr.html

Player Profile Designed for the skater that is looking for explosive power and total efficiency from every stride Fit Profile Anaform Fit - anatomically correct boot and insole / standard depth, least amount of wrap, standard width and anatomical heel Heat Moldable Yes Quarter Package 3D Anaformable Curv® Composite upper Heel Support Anatomically designed heel counter Ankle Padding Lightweight anaform fit foam ankle pads Tendon Guard Flexible Lining Material Hydrophobic grip liner Tongue FORM-FIT - Anatomical, 48 oz. 3-piece felt with high-density metatarsal guard Footbed FORM-FIT with stabilizer grip and moisture management Outsole Pro TPU Blade Holder TUUK Lightspeed EDGE Runner TUUK LS 2. stainless steel - 9ft radius Weight (gm) 800 Weight (oz) 28.22

And mind you this is for the One.9s. I believe you will save and see similar specs on a One.8 or One.7 that is leftover from last year's model sets. It's not as if there was a huge technological breakthrough on these two model years.

Total Hockey is a pretty neat option on their website that lets you compare products side by side. While not all inclusive, it does help compare features.

http://www.totalhockey.com/popupcompare.aspx?itm=|14986-41-1|14987-41-1|9203-41-1|9204-41-1|

This is exactly what I did. I actually really like this Total Hockey feature. Because of the limited options for the One.9 and One.8, I think I am back to the 170's or 180's, with the main differences being the 3D Curv and the stiffness of the boot.

The 180 felt like a glove on my foot, it just fit nice. I might order the 170's to try on, and send back if I do not like them.

So, other than just reffing a few hours a week, what is your long term plans for these skates? Just something for now, or conceivably for the long run? Factor those in to your decision making process as well. If the 180 felt great out of the box it's going to feel even better after baking.

Would you consider the one.9 to be above the 180 in quality?

In terms of quality they're both very similar but the One.9 will be stiffer than the 180.